Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett weighs in on Hendon Hooker Heisman Trophy backlash: ‘I didn’t make that call’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,727 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett weighs in on Hendon Hooker Heisman Trophy backlash: ‘I didn’t make that call’

NEW YORK — Stetson Bennett is used to being doubted and criticized. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that when he was named a Heisman Trophy finalist, there was anger by many in college football.

Read the full story here


  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

    Bennett also outplayed Hooker when the two teams met in November.

    99% because Hooker didn't have Bennett's players around him and Bennett didn't face the UGA defense. The other 1% ...

    This article makes it sound as if all the other QBs were born with silver spoons in their mouths and had everything handed to them. That ignores that Hooker, for example, originally went to a Virginia Tech program that collapsed while he was there, then went to a rebuilding Tennessee program and had to win the job over a higher ranked recruit with more natural athletic ability. It could have turned into an **** situation but Milton, the Tennessee QB, handled it with class. He didn't even transfer, even though he is only going to have 1 year of eligibility left without either those WRs or that OL next season.

    But ultimately the Hooker advocates are absurd. First off, he plays in the same stat-friendly Big 12 system that always lets programs down in big games, so any statistical superiority that he enjoys over other candidates should be measured with a grain of salt. Also thanks to the lost to South Carolina - the loss to UGA was expected and Alabama turned out to be a poorly coached fraud - the only thing that Hooker accomplished this season was put up big numbers. That makes Michael Penix, the NCAA passing leader whose team also went 10-2, a better Heisman candidate than Hooker.

    The actual best candidate for the award, Blake Corum, got hurt and his team won its 2 (or at least 2 of its 3) most important game of the season without him. That stinks. As there are no actual GOOD candidates for the award just give it to Bennett. That they are actually considering giving it to Caleb Williams, who lost to the same team TWICE and was horrible in the Pac-12 title game because he was going for highlight reel plays to market himself for NIL deals, is unreal but that is exactly what is going to happen.

  • Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Again, some 10urc people unable to make their claims without sour-graping the Dawgs. Bennett's stats against top teams speak for themselves. Dawgs did what was best for the win in several games, which wasn't the best for SB4's stats. He has led the team to a stellar level.

  • Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

    SBIV looks great up there. Go @onwardreserve in Athens and GO Dawgs!

    PS -where can I get that jacket?

  • Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

    "99% because Hooker didn't have Bennett's players around him and Bennett didn't face the UGA defense. The other 1%"

    Weak take on what actually happened. Hooker had open receivers against Georgia. He missed them. Bennett didn't. Nuff said.

  • Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Look at that picture, once again. You have Stroud and Williams, who, obviously, play on the same Nike team, donning their uniforms to make sure they get their NIL $. You got Duggan, who looks like he walked into the wrong room. Then there's SB. Now, he has NIL deals, too. And I'm sure there are plenty of groups out there that would have paid (and maybe even offered to pay) for him to wear their stuff. What did he choose? He choose to honor his team. Y'all, THAT is a Heisman winner. Stroud and Williams can win their NIL trophies. Duggan gets the wrinkled polo award. SB is your Heisman winner.

  • Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Can someone take posting privileges' from Nicole?

    She runs her mouth too much.

  • Options
    DreamAndWonderDreamAndWonder Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

    Anyone that did not get invited was never going to win it, regardless. SB4 deserves the recognition.

  • Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

    The trophy is awarded for:

    "Outstanding performance which best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

    I do not see anywhere in there a mention that is goes to the player with the best numbers or most athletic or the guy that threw the most touchdown. Based on the wording of the criteria, whether he wins it or not, Bennett absolutely deserves to be there.

    And Nicole Auerbach is an !d!ot.

  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Probably cause he couldn't see them thru Jalen Carter's big paws, lol.

    So glad to see Bennett there. He deserves the recognition. I hope he wins it. Was I a naysayer when he began starting for us, yes. But the more he played, the more I realized why Kirby trusted him as our QB. Am I a naysayer on Beck, absolutely. Just because I'm still a little irritated about his actions after the pick-6 against UAB last year. But he's grown and I'm sure he'll grow on my like Bennett has. If Bennett doesn't win, oh well. He always have the recognition that comes with being a DGD!

  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    It's gonna be funny as hell, when people find out he came in 1st or 2nd, in voting...and, he wasn't the odd-man out. It's actually Williams or Duggan. Lol

  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I can say this, I watched the big 12 championship from the start. Only tcu game I've watched all season. Duggan plays his *** off for his team. Would love to see someone take a chance on him in the draft. Absolute team player.💯

  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Dude...I absolutely agree. One of the single gutsiest performances I've ever seen, from a QB. He reminded me of when Herschel Walker went back in the game against Notre Dame, after separating his shoulder early in the 1980 Sugar Bowl...leading the Dawgs to a Natty and not winning the Heisman.

    Duggan is the one QB I don't want to see UGA have to face. That should tell you what I think about him.

    Like Bennett...He's a WINNER!

  • Options
    FarmdawgFarmdawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

    Don’t give Brandon Walker the satisfaction of quoting him on Dawg nation. He’s the second biggest joke in college football behind heather dinich

Sign In or Register to comment.