Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett finishes fourth in 2022 Heisman Trophy voting

SystemSystem Posts: 10,477 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett finishes fourth in 2022 Heisman Trophy voting

NEW YORK — Quarterback Stetson Bennett finished fourth in voting for the 2022 Heisman Trophy. USC quarterback Caleb Williams won the award. TCU quarterback Max Duggan came in second, with Ohio State quarterback CJ Stroud coming in third.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guy who actually deserved it most finished 8th. Of the guys who went to New York, Stetston Bennett was the most deserving. The Utah QB was actually more deserving than the guy who won it.

That is all.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

I mean not surprised, past few years whom ever wins the Maxwell and WalterCamp award wins the heisman…it’s like clock work

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Caleb actually gave a fairly impressive speech!

and Stet should have been second…not Duggan

Edited: To the Down voter…. I meant Stet should have been second AFTER it was announced that Caleb had won…Of course I wanted him to finish first……Sheesh😅

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have Much Respect for all four of these fine young men. Congrats to Caleb Williams. But I am Super Proud of Stetson Bennett !! Ultra Proud of him. He has represented UGA and our State with Honor and Dignity. And he has demonstrated the Character Traits that all young men should aspire to, Not just football but in Life. Now Stetson come on home and prep up to win UGA’s Second National Trophy in consecutive years. P.S. Something I wish the Heisman Committee would change and Not Do. And that is reveal who came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and the number of votes each got. Just Reveal the Winner at the end of the show and call it a night. Revealing the places and votes of those behind the trophy winner just seems to sort of diminish their accomplishments. AND I’m sure the three that Didn’t win it are already disappointed though they are gentlemen and have the class not to show their disappointment. Revealing the runner up places and votes just seems to rub salt into that disappointment imho.

• Options
    WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

At least he doesn’t have to hang out with Spurrier and Tebow for Nissan commercials.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I figured this would be the outcome. It was an honor for Stetson. Caleb won, no surprise there. UGA has a big game to practice for...so back to work.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you were going to make up the story of Stetson Bennett and his journey from walk-on to National Championship Quarterback, with all the times he was counted as last in the pecking order, his 4th place finish in the Heisman fits right in.

Once again, Bennett was looked upon as the least player in the room. The fact that he's won more big games than the other three candidates have combined was an afterthought.

The best thing about it, despite all the hoopla and pageantry of this weekend, Bennett still has something to prove, and he's about to get that chance in a game where he'll be playing against one of the other players who were ranked ahead of him in that latest pecking order. I think that chip on Stetson's shoulder just got a little bit bigger.

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m one of those JT fans from last year who are eating crow but very proud of the Mailman - I knew he could play but not to this years level. Man enough to say I was wrong. Go Dawgs!!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations on your recent conversion 😉

I found it interesting that the #5 & 6 place finishers (Hooker and Young) each had 17 first place votes. That means their combined total of 34 still didn’t match the Mailman’s 36. I’m surprised considering all the whining from Vol and Bama fans. Go Dawgs and congratulations Stetson!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Congratulations to Caleb Williams on wining the Heisman. Also congrats to Max Duggan, C.J. Stroud and most of all, Stetson "The Mailman" Bennett! I have not followed Duggan much if at all. As a matter of fact, the only game I've ever seen him play was last weekend and he played a hell of a game. Williams and Stroud are both good QB's and received hype all year long as 2 of the top Heisman candidates. The mailman never received any Heisman talk. So for the VOTERS to have him in the top 4 is a great honor, especially considering the fact, he has been dogged often by many of his teams own fans. I admit I got caught up in the star ranking and wondered what the heck was Kirby doing. But I've also always said and firmly believe, coaches see these young men in practice every day and we only see them on game day. The coaches are way more qualified than us arm chair coaches in making those decisions.

I'm extremely proud of Stetson and of the way he has represented the prestigious University of Georgia on and off the field. He is a class act and an unbelievable competitor with the heart and desire for success that most people can only fathom. 2 more wins and Stetson will join Tommie Frazier 94 & 95 and AJ McCarron 11 & 12 to become the 3rd quarterback to win 2 consecutive National Championships and cement himself as the most successful quarterback ever at the University of Georgia. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a great point! Hanging out with has-been gators would have been torture for him. I’m still waiting on the Heisman House to welcome in O.J. I just know they’re working on that one down at Nissan headquarters even as we speak. What a special moment that will be! 😂

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I believe you are referring to AJ McCarron, the only Bama QB with 2 consecutive NC rings. And, as you stated, he's 1 of only 2 that have won 2 consecutive National Championships as a starting QB, the other being Fraizer. Stetson would definitely be joining a small, elite group, if he can help bring home the Title again this year..GoDAWGS!