Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart lays out what Georgia football looks for in transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,643 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart lays out what Georgia football looks for in transfer portal

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I don't think either Bouie or Lloyd fit the Georgia "culture"... let them go somewhere else, and instead focus on developing/featuring our existing, incredible posse of DBs and RBs. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You forgot Erik Gilbert.

The Dawgs don't NEED a WR and they haven't been hurting for good WR's in quite some time. Not, with the offense UGA employs.

UGA's WR's, and there is at least half a dozen I can think of off-the-bat, have the ability to catch, block, run proper routes, etc.. The Dawgs have everything they need, in the WR Room....except "breakaway speed"...with the exception of the perpetually injured Arian Smith & AD Mitchell. Lol

Unless there is a guy in the portal, that can keep up with Arian Smith or Devonte Smith, fuggidaboudit. Lol. What's the point in bringing in another receiver, no better than the ones you recruited and trained.

SPEED....SPEED...SPEED...What we need is more speed...if it's available.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg61

Not, with the offense UGA employs.

UGA's offense will change when the QB does. Particularly because blue chip QBs will want an offense that will get them drafted by the NFL, which the current one absolutely does not.

@khummel

I acknowledge your reservations about Bouie - though with the caveat that if you were from Bainbridge you would have taken the A&M oil money to help your family too!!! - but cut Marshawn Lloyd some slack. He has endured 3 miserable years in South Carolina due to the pandemic (2020), coaching changes (HC before 2021, OC after 2022), injuries (2022) and an overall lack of talent around him. He probably has one last shot to go to a better situation and show what he can actually do to NFL teams and get drafted.

• Options

I have no ill will for either Bouie or Lloyd, and in fact wish them both well in wherever they land... just not convinced they're a good fit with the Georgia program culture, and frankly don't see a pressing need in their position group where we already have studs lined up. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you recall Bouie was committed to UGA. CKS knew his mom from high school. But then aTm stole another UGA assistant (Nick Williams, Coley) who was Bouie's (and Big Bear's) primary recruiter. And Bouie followed him to aTm. Thankfully Big Bear didn't. UGA has moved on at CB with better options. Nick Williams has since moved on to CO/Deion's team. Expect Bouie to go to CO.

As for Lloyd, he would be a great pick up for UGA. IF UGA does not add a 2nd highly ranked RB to the '22 class, Lloyd will be in play at UGA. It depends on whether Milton returns or goes pro.

• Options

I might give Lloyd a sniff if Milton bolts (and he shouldn't)... otherwise I'd shop that scholly elsewhere. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited December 2022

If Milton stays and remains healthy, he could be the first back or two off the board next year, cutting the draft rounds in half and doubling his salary... plus an unprecedented third natty! :) Go Dawgs!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

So is Rara coming to UGA?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

It is not logical to think that KMilton will stay healthy, have a bigger role and put up "1st back off the board" numbers by returning and being a bellcow RB1. He hasn't been able to do that in 3 yrs. His draft stock may never be higher than it is right now. He is finally healthy. Should he put up good workout numbers not sure the risk would be worth the reward. His lack of durability (and stats) will always keep him from being drafted as CFB RB1 or RB2.

UGA lacks a KMcIntosh type runner/receiver for the '23 season. MLynch could fill that role. He is also a dangerous runner that should now be fully recovered from his '20 ACL. UGA was one of his finalists and the UGA staff knows him well (one of CKS's stated criteria for the TP). He should have 2 yrs eligibility left and RB by committee should appeal to him.

Based on Beamer comments Lloyd was happy after the last game. Somebody got in his ear with promises of money. I doubt that was UGA.

I am not sold on BRobinson. He seems like a smaller (runs smaller), less athletic Daijun Edwards. A good rotational guy but not a bellcow RB1 at UGA. The pre-season RB buzz was about Andrew Paul and not BRobinson.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still have questions about Coach Smart's number one consideration when it comes to transfers: "need."

• We'll have lots of very good returning WRs, plus the best class of freshman receivers in years. But we'll still lack a proven, high level separation guy (even though Mitchell or Smith could fill that role when healthy). Are RaRa and Cephas so different from the big group of decent WRs we have already? How fast are they, for example?
    • Assuming Milton stays, we'll be loaded at RB. A healthy Milton could pound through the league; Edwards has good hands and similar strengths to Milton; I thought BRobinson had a good first year and can take it to the next level in '23. And RRobinson may be our answer down near the goal line. But Monken's offense benefits from a receiver out of the backfield. Could Lynch play the Cook/McIntyre roll?
    • Do we need a veteran tackle?
    • Might we be in the market for one of the excellent QBs that are hitting the TP? If so, who might fit our system? Uiagalelei? Hudson Card? Or would we not want to mess with QB because we already have plenty of good choices between Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton?
    • We'll continue to have a lot of talent in the DB. But we're losing a lot of experience with CSmith and Ringo. Do we need another solid coverage guy at CB? Do we need an experienced centerfielder to play Smith's role?

Of course, we won't know all the answers until well after the playoffs. But I wouldn't mind some more reporting on such questions from the knowledgeable guys at DawgNation.

• Options

I think you must be envisioning an offense that depends entirely on 2 WR's and a QB...kinda like what BAMA operated out of, over the last few years. Look where it got them. Lol...They're average, without a deep threat receiver, like Williams or Smith and a reliable possession receiver, like Ruggs or Metchie. You don't want to put all your eggs in that basket. They go down...you go down!

That will never happen under Smart. He will never depend on 2 or 3 players to push the offense down the field. It's not a reliable strategy over the length of a season. Particularly in the SEC, where defenses have caught to that HR Hitter mentality.

If your QB or Ace-WR goes down, you're back to square one...kinda like BAMA & Tennessee, right now. Nope...IMO, the QB won't determine the offense in a Monkin/Smart offense. In fact, it's the other way around. The offense will determine the QB.

That doesn't mean, they won't take advantage of the individual skills of each QB. But, in a way that enhances their current offense...not change it.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm curious if anyone can explain why Smart's stance on a UGA player entering the portal is that that kid is no longer a part of the team. But if a UGA coach decides to take a job elsewhere (essentially a transfer) -- like Buster Faulkner -- he can still hang around the team? I honestly don't care about the policy either way, but I'm curious as to why he treats one differently than the other? To me, you're either a Dawg or you're not. Go Dawgs!

• Options

The question actually reminds me of the 1980 US Hockey Team. Herb Brooks had the opportunity to bring in one of the best players in the World, after the team was trained, gelled and ready for action. The new guy, would have made them better....But, Brooks passed, because, it would have disrupted "Team Chemistry" in a negative way.

Why take a chance?...that's the real question.

• Options
  • Options

Whether or not, the Dawgs need to bring in a "transfer portal" guy. Unless, I misunderstood the question. Which question did you think I meant? Lol

• Options

Ha! I know I went on for a while. But I actually sked five questions about the portal -- should we be expected to go after a separation-type receiver, a pass-catching RB, an experienced QB and/or veterans at OT, S &/or CB?

Those seem to me to be the potential holes we could plug next year as we develop great underclassmen in those positions. But I also get -- wouldn't presume to second guess -- Kirby's devotion to chemistry.

• Options

I'll tell you how I think Kirby is handling the portal situation, just based on some of his comments, over the years. Reading between the lines...I think Kirby brings a prospective "TP Player" in, to introduce them to the team leaders...particularly the guys that will be in the room with them, once they transfer.

He relies on the advice of his team leaders on whether or not he should bring them into the "family". Doesn't matter how talented they are, if they detract from your team's overall value. Talent is a given...character and commitment to excellence aren't.

I think Kirby learned a lesson or 2, during his time at BAMA & UGA, not to mention, The Dolphins. He knows from experience, that when the "whole", is greater than the sum of it's parts...you have reached resonance. Adding an unknown quantity can have a negative impact, so, you want to be very careful not to add a rotten apple to your otherwise perfect barrel of apples.

I'm still not sure where Tykee Smith and Erik Gilbert fit in that picture. I guess, we'll see, huh? Lol

• Options

Tell ya what I think is ironic...Kirby and Dabo Sweeney have been fairly vocal about the TP/NIL issue. Neither Coach has completely embraced the Transfer Portal.

Yet, the only transfer player that has worked out for UGA, since the TP/NIL monster raised it's head, is Derion Kendrick...a player that transferred from Sweeney's team (Clemson)...to Kirby's team (UGA).

I think that says something about Sweeney & Smart. I think they build their teams using a very similar philosophy.

I'm worried about where Saban is with his team, right now. I think the BAMA car is falling apart and I'm not sure Nick has the energy, the players or the Staff to rebuild. Which is why Young and Anderson are going to play in Saban's last game. Out of respect and tribute to their mentor. I think he already told those 2 guys, he's retiring before next season.

IMO...Mike Leach's death opened his eyes to how fleeting life is and his Grandchildren probably barely know him. We'll see soon, I'm sure. Lol