Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anthony Richardson-less Florida kicks off SEC bowl season with opt-outs galore; Georgia fully-loaded

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageAnthony Richardson-less Florida kicks off SEC bowl season with opt-outs galore; Georgia fully-loaded

ATHENS — The SEC portion of the bowl season will get off to an early and somewhat unfamiliar start this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only thing to say about Richardson, high ceiling, low drive to reach it. 🤷‍♂️ Still amazes me, Bama with 11 in the portal. How many were pushed out, but you know that'll never go public.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could not agree more with the notion that these players need to be generously insured against future losses that might result from injury, not just in bowl games, but in the latter seasons of their college careers as well.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Can't blame the players for opting out....but 41 bowl games? Seriously? Ridiculous. We've created a "monster" with this silly bowl season...

Expand the playoffs even further than 12 to include more teams, more relevant bowls, more fans watching, better games, and less players opting out.

• Options

Really need to up the requirements to get into bowl games before doing that. 8-9 win minimum. Would cut down on Tuesday midday bowl, no regular person will watch. Yeah it's nice for the kids to receives the gifts, but who gets excited for a cheesy bowl when there's no one showing up to play.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as it disappoints me as a fan not to see complete SEC teams thump everyone else come bowl season, I can't begrudge these kids for opting out -- especially the ones that will be working out to make the NFL in just a couple of month. They're taking a risk every time they go out on the field.

The schools get money and exposure from meaningless bowl games, the host cities get sponsorship money and publicity, and the sponsors get advertising. The student-athletes get to put their bodies and future livelihood on the line in exchange for nothing.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So mcshay is moving on from the OSU guy to Jalen Carter.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking as I started reading this article.

There was a point where I was right on with what MG was hinting at re: continuing to contribute to the school that supported and educated you. To me, opt-outs were cop-outs. Kids with highfalootin ideas about their own greatness were letting down their teammates. I still don't think that's totally wrong, but I definitely don't believe it's right, and one very large reason for that is the plethora of bowl games that exist now.

This "monster," as Montana (rightfully) called it, as many of us here have rehashed many times over, serves to make the idea of a bowl game meaningless. Teams ultimately just need to have a winning record and they're in some post-season game or another. Many of them amount to little more than post-season exhibitions, which is sad. There is, of course, a limit to that, too, though. The system is what it is now, and the kids who earned it did earn it. They earned the privilege of playing an extra game for the public; they earned the opportunity to show off their athletic chops; they earned one more chance to accomplish something with their brothers.

The catch is that not everyone values this, because of what is entailed in the value. When the risks outweigh the benefits, it's not the self-centered decision I once thought it was, and there are some bowl games that just don't hold that much prestige. There's a point where, even though a university and community has supported us, we have to understand that that community supported us for our own sake, and that some decisions do come down to individual needs. A well-educated person understands this. We also understand that our success does go on to provide support back to that institution. Think about how often we see articles here about former players' success in the NFL. People consistently connect those guys with their universities, and they are walking billboards for how solid the programs they graduated from are.

It'd be nice if the bowl-season schedule weren't as bloated as it is, and kids - particularly kids who have definitely made names for themselves - could find legitimate glory in going out on top in playing in a post-season game. Since this is the reality we have to live with, though, maybe it's better if we re-focus, and try to see these games as snapshots of what's coming next for our teams. Starters opting out doesn't leave the team without guys. It doesn't even leave them without guys without experience; it just leaves them without the guys with the most experience. Well, what's better experience than having the opportunity to support your team when #1 decided to step aside for his own sake?

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA - Bill Norton (Transfer Portal)

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m being very selfish I suppose but I sure am glad to see All our Dawgs with the exception of B.Norton staying for these last TWO games. And as a Dawgs fan I am Very, Very, multiple times Very Grateful to them !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll say it again.....I'd love to see one of our Crackerjack Sports Journalist do a little research and write an article on the 13 Georgia transfers from last year.....where'd they go, how'd they do, and why did they transfer....I only know about Burton and Cox....Jermaine was a wash and Cox was a blessing...IMO.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Mike, if Todd F. McShay says something disparaging about a player, and the player's family disputes it on a factual level, it might not be the best basis for making some larger point. Dude's credibility isn't exactly peaking at the moment.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ah. I see it now. I'd totally glossed over it before that McShay had a blowhard moment about Smith-Njigba. He believes that the guy is well enough to play but is opting out anyway. Well enough to play in a final four game but just doesn't want to. Well enough to play in a final four game when he hasn't really played hardly at all the whole season. Well enough to play in a final four game and legitimately increase his team's chance of winning and oving on to a final, and show a national audience and tons of scouts what he's definitely still capable of doing despite season-limiting injury. Sure...

• Options

They do on 247sports. Usually boring, lol. Same stat or worse at new schools, "played in the game, but did not record a stat".

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

He can’t stop talking about Justin Fields transfer enough to write about anyone else, even 4 years after Justin transferred!

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guess what? You don't have to watch any games you don't want to. So typical: "I don't like it, so no one should be able to have it!"