Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football did not get a national championship recruiting bump and Kirby Smart knows wwhy

SystemSystem Posts: 10,692 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football did not get a national championship recruiting bump and Kirby Smart knows wwhy

ATHENS — Some might think that winning a national championship would have some grand impact on Georgia’s recruiting efforts. That they’d recruit even better now that they’ve shown proof of concept, that you can in fact win at Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very well said !! Totally agree !! All I can really add to your excellent comments is Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I agree with you @Eastmandawg , the Dawgs are currently at 2nd for this cycle, and finished 3rd last year. You just can't move up very much farther than that, so only a minimal bump is realistic. Another great point in your comment was that development within the program can quickly separate UGA even farther from the competition. UGA has a young team this year, with a lot of experienced players coming back next year. When you add an impressive recruiting class, the 2023 season should be something to be excited about.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Georgia has had a great two year run but Bama under Saban has been dominant for 15 years. Even now we're acting like Bama is down when the reality is they lost two games by a total of 4 points on the last play of both games. Bama is still a Juggernaut and will be as long as Saban is there. Not saying Georgia won't become a dynasty in it's own right but we should be wary of thinking the Bama reign is done and over with. That said let's enjoy the moment. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think our Natty raised our profile nationally, and gets in us the minds of kids who wouldn't otherwise seriously consider us. Maybe after we go back to back we can get the "bump' some seek. Kirby isn' t looking for follow the crowd guys, he wants warriors that put team before me.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Recruiting rankings are almost meaningless now because of the transfer portal. You can sign a great class and have a bunch of them leave the next year. What matters is what you do with what you have. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that Alabama is still a juggernaut with Saban as the coach, but they also won 2 games (that I recall in my flu delirium) that they easily could have lost (UT and aTm).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What I don't get is why someone from Georgia would now want to go and play for Alabama. I understand that in times past that's where you had to go if you wanted to play wanted to play for a NC year in and year out, and the very fact that the best team in the nation wanted you, meant something huge, but now? It's totally unnecassary! LOL!

• Options

Mistake by Conner to portray this class as a failure of sorts(subliminily anyhow). I love it! As much as anyclass we've had! Tip your cap to Saban for getting #1 but I'm not crying!

Not saying this will happen but one more year of BAMA failing to get into the playoffs and UGA doing so will swing the a'hum tide in our favor in recruiting.Lots of pressure on Nick this coming year.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the game were played on paper, there would be no reason to play the season Bama has been so dominate in the recruiting rankings. Yet, they did lose the natty to Georgia and lost two games this season. With all that talent, Saban is left making excuses (blaming the players, no less) while Kirby has taken a former walk-on QB and an undersized former three star WR leading the WR room to the promised land and almost back again!

Bama with their plethora of talent will always be a formidable foe, but there is only one “best” and that is Kirby and the Dawgs!

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 261 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's not forget we just signed two quality WRs out of the portal. This "could" be a tremendous boost for next year and lead to another very successful season. I'm with some of you guys that I just don't understand how Ala can get as many 5 stars and such a high class as they did.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe it's the years of heartbreak that make me keep my guard up. It is just hard for me to say we are the best. Every time I've even remotely thought it before, Saban would rise up and slap the thought out of me before I even attempted to verbalize it. The NC last January was nice but it can't erase the horror of 08, 12, 15, 17, 18, 20 and 21.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The biggest thing winning it all did was shake the image UGA had of always falling short. Especially against AL. Changed that "but they always lose" narrative places like AL and Clemson were using in negative recruiting.

It really hurts to lose Haynes and Downs to AL. But this has been a bit of a down year for GA HS talent. Next year is a different story. MANY top HS players coming out of GA in the class of '24. UGA needs to clean up in the state next cycle.

It is better to take a good GA HS kid vs other places. For many reasons. It is great to get RB Robinson from CA. However if UGA got Haynes he doesn't go to AL and Robinson goes to UCLA. Good guys UGA misses in GA go to AL, FU, TN and Clemson. This helps make them successful and helps them recruit GA better.

Better hit GA super hard next cycle.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Not saying this will happen but one more year of BAMA failing to get into the playoffs and UGA doing so will swing the a'hum tide in our favor in recruiting.Lots of pressure on Nick this coming year.".........well reddawg, I'm thinking the possibility is looming larger....the Saban mystique is aging and no longer motivates. The lack of proper management of NIL leads to a "Me First" attitude. The lack of support staff that buy into the "Roll Tide" attitude is no longer around, with more changes to come.....letting Scott Cochran get away was the start of the down fall IMO. You can have all the talent in the world, be #1 in recruiting and if you don't develop your talent...ie: improve skills and technique and most importantly, instill a Total TEAM attitude, all you've got is a really good HS team competing in the toughest conference in college football.

• Options

I predict that if Deuce stays healthy he ends up being one of the top UGA backs of all time. Guy played through the pain of a pulled hammy(I believe) in his state playoffs to lead his team and they still couldn't tackle him. Man among boys.