Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to watch a 5-star guy like Jaheim go. But not that hard. Everette surpassed him in the spring before him even got to campus.

With all the '22 and '23 DB recruits, we'll suffer no shortage of superbly athletic underclassmen at safety. So we won't be missing Singletary.

What we'll lack is top-level experience at strong safety. Maybe, we can get a boost in that area from the portal.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

What did MJ Sherman say in his since-deleted tweet following Georgia’s win over TCU?

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

A table at the top of this type of article would be nice. It could have columns like Tranfer Portal, Declared for NFL Draft, Eligible for NFL but undecided, etc. These get so long that by the time you get to the bottom, you might not remember details from the top of the article. I am sure what we all want is a list of who's going, and who's new, etc.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, I think Monken is the second-most important coach in the entire program, right behind Kirby. I wouldn't blink an eye if we pumped his salary up to $5 million/year, or whatever an NFL coordinator makes. And what is a $200,000 buyout to an NFL team? That's a joke if it's meant to be some sort of penalty if he leaves. Pay the man. Schumann, too, even if that means Muschamp has to go. Muschamp still have South Carolina money so he'll be fine elsewhere if need be.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope Coach Monken stays around to see if the Dawgs can win another Natty. Give us one more coach. Maybe two, three, or four.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dom's probably making the right decision for himself. After the work he put in, I've always wanted him return to where he was before those two terrible injuries.

He has gotten closer and closer, and he may still get much better because it can take a few years to fully build back those legs and those moves.

The thing is, he's not going to get a chance to fully strut his stuff at Georgia. Mitchell, McConckey and Lovett at least will be ahead of him in the rotation -- not to mention possibly RaRa, Rosemy-Jacksaint and Bell.

I hope he lands in a place where he'll get a lot more chances so he can have the kind of season that turns him into potential draft pick -- so long as it's not with an SEC team.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DallasDawg and @GaBoi69

Kind of unusual how everyone has forgotten that had either:

A. Javon Wims not rolled his ankle shortly before halftime

B. Blankenship not missed a very makeable field goal

C. Jake Fromm not used bad technique on a 2nd half throw leading to a tipped ball INT

D. a hapless DB not been left on an island against a future Pro Bowl WR on 4th and 26

then UGA wins the 2017 title. UGA winning the title didn't require all of those things to happen (or not happen). Instead, had any one of those things not happened - say UGA just calls a running play up the middle and punts to pin Bama deep instead of the disastrous pick that gave Bama good field position that they used to score for C. - then UGA wins the title in 2017.

Monken was great for designing an offense around UGA's limitations in 2021 and 2022. But now that UGA will have a taller QB with a stronger arm (this will be the case whether that QB is Beck, Vandagriff or Stockton) and hit the transfer portal to improve the talent at WR, UGA can run a more traditional pro style offense that pretty much any capable OC can coordinate. UGA can - for example - go back to actually using their stable of 4 and 5 star tailbacks running behind the best OL in college football to dominate a football game, and if they actually do this they would actually win a Joe Moore Award. While the 2017 offense had better tailbacks in Chubb and Michel - who may have been College Football Hall of Famers had they not shared a backfield and both gotten knee injuries - the OL was nowhere near as good back then (Isaiah Wynn is the only guy from that OL who plays for UGA last year, and even he plays at OG instead of OT) and with all due respect to Fromm, all of UGA's current QBs have more natural ability (whether arm strength, mobility or both).

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here, here! I think the table idea is a great one, and easy to keep updated. Would sure make it easier to keep up-to-speed during a time with lots of status changes. Hope they take you up on your idea 😁

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great news on Ladd coming back !! He’s a DGD !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

With McConkey coming back, Georgia will have one of the top wide receiver rooms in the country next season.

Yeah ... UGA has had 2 #1 picks at WR in the history of the program: Lindsay Scott in 1982 and AJ Green in 2011. UGA has had 22 receivers drafted in the history of its program, only 9 of them in the first 3 rounds. So when you say that UGA will have one of the top WR rooms in the country next season when the top 3 guys had 850, 760 and 630 yards last season - and 2 of them are transfers, one from an air raid system and another from a team that went 6-7 last year - please understand that words mean things.

30 guys had 1000 receiving yards last season. (Which has only been accomplished once at UGA ... in 2002 and just barely as Terrance Edwards made it by a single catch in the 2002 Sugar Bowl against FSU.)

40 guys had more receiving yards than Bowers (who is a TE, not a WR).

70 guys had more receiving yards than Lovett.

92 guys had more receiving yards than McConkey. And McConkey's injuries only evens out the fact that he played at least 2 more games than everyone but the TCU WRs.

The teams that actually "will have one of the top wide receiver rooms in the country next season" are teams who have as many top 100 recruits at WR as UGA has at, say, LB and OL. Teams that actually have WRs that are actually going to be the 1st and 2nd round picks that UGA rarely produces.

Look, UGA in 2002 had Edwards, Fred Gibson (6'4", 200 lbs, 4.57 40, 4th round pick), Reggie Brown (2nd round pick), the aforementioned Edwards, and if we are counting TEs, future NFL Hall of Famer Ben Watson.

UGA in 2008 had AJ Green and 2nd round pick Mohammed Massoquoi, who both came very close to 1000 yards (playing in 15 or even 14 games instead of 13 gets them there easily) plus 4th rounder Kris Durham and 5th rounder Tavarres King.

2010: Green, Durham, King plus Orson Charles (4th round TE).

Let's see if the UGA WR group can even match 2002, 2008 and 2010 before talking about "one of the better WR groups in the country" because the programs that actually do have 1st and 2nd round picks starting and future ones on the bench ... just like UGA has at - again - OL, LB and DL.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im gonna use the term “ really good”. When you say top you have to think of schools that are pass happy, almost exclusively pass. They will have higher stat numbers simply because the ball is being thrown much more. But generally to do that many times there’s a sacrifice some where. Like only having an average run game, or an average defense. So though the Dawgs might not have a “top” WR room I think because of the complimentary RB room and TE room they should have a Really Good WR room. That said both the TE room and RB room will also by virtue of complimenting each other be Really Good. So this should be a pretty potent Offense looking at the whole package. The Defense as hard as it is for rivals to imagine could and probably Will be even better. But that’s a whole other story. I’m anxious, not necessarily in a bad way, to see what special teams will be like. All told the Dawgs should be right back in the picture sniffing for yet another Ntl. Title !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is Bryan McClendon the lead image for this particular post?

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I could've done without that scare! 😯 I like coach McClendon, and hope he sticks around.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Considering our NFL matriculation combined with our losses to the TP, it's time for the remaining DAWGS to coalesce and recreate/define the culture that will sustain the 2023 DAWGS. As Kirby likes to say, this is a completely new team, the past two years of accomplishment are history and have no bearing on the 23 team..... on the surface, I agree but a deeper take leads me to see the past two years as a standard set. That standard will be tested every Saturday by teams that have also grown and developed to pose new challenges that are totally different than those conquered in the past. I look forward to seeing the development of our returning players and especially the incoming recruits and identifying the leaders that will define another winning culture. I predict that we will again see at least one or two freshman ascend to prominence.

I wish the DAWG NFL seekers every good fortune and blessing for good health. As for the the 10 in the TP.....hopefully the grass will be greener?

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hopefully a significant pay raise along with unmatched job security will keep Monken. I doubt there's a more secure job in college football than being on Smart's staff.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor Riley said:

"Tampa was the worst rushing team in the league, battled injuries along the offensive line all season and quarterback Tom Brady is a free agent this offseason."

THIS is why Monken will not go to Tampa Bay as their OC.....why would he, for gosh sakes!?

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Lol...no self-respecting Coach...in his right mind...is gonna leave a DIV-1 College Football team, poised to rack up a three-peat after losing virtually nobody, off of a 2-time National Championship team.

He could be part of a historic run. That's like a Teacher getting that "dream-student" that could grow up to change the world as we know it...then deciding to go on a different career trajectory. Not very likely. Lol