Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Details emerge from tragic accident that killed Georgia football player, staffer

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageDetails emerge from tragic accident that killed Georgia football player, staffer

ATHENS — More details emerged on the tragic single-vehicle accident that claimed the lives of Georgia football player Devin Willock and UGA recruiting staff member Chandler LeCroy early last Sunday morning and injured two others.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DipSpitDipSpit Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I’m sure the families and friends of the victims appreciate this article. Just imagine these kids mother and father having this beautiful picture painted for them while they are trying to find a way to deal with this unthinkable tragedy. Good work Mike Griffith.

Praying for everyone close to these families, and I am so so sorry that people feel the need to publish stuff like this. Every single person that reads this article could have went the rest of their lives and been ok having never read or known any of it. And to those that do feel like this is worthy of being written … I sincerely hope you never have to deal with tragedy like this in your own lives, and if you do … I pray you never have to read something like this.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dip you must have never lost a son, brother or close friend. All want to know exactly how the people they care about died. These reports are public and investigators are obligated to give details of the investigation to the next of kin.

• Options
    Intldawg86Intldawg86 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

n general, most people who experience trauma like this want to know exactly what happened. Mike is also obligated to report on the awful facts because, as a journalist, that is what he is tasked to do.

Additionally, humanity survived this long due to our innate ability to learn from those who have come and gone. It behooves all of us to learn from tragedy. This will also ensure that no death is ever truly in vain. Please, everyone, wear a seatbelt and slow down. May their souls rest and their families find peace.

• Options
    DipSpitDipSpit Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Your assumptions about me and what I have gone through in life are wrong.

Next of kin … Is not a column on DawgNation. And, Mike Griffith is not an investigator … He’s a sports writer.

Law enforcement is obligated to file a report, and it is public record … The obligation to write this article doesn’t exist. Especially in the manner it was written … And, while the families are still making funeral arrangements.

It’s classless in my opinion.

🤷‍♂️ You are free to have and voice your own.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Having opinions is fine, but I don't understand your stance in this case. No one's forcing anyone to read the article. "Difficult details" is right there in the headline. How would anyone who doesn't want to see this writing be exposed to it? If the families were reading it, it would mean they chose to do so. (Though I don't see why they would.)

People obviously care a lot about what happened Sunday. This article simply states what happened, which, as you acknowledge, is a matter of public record. There are no gratuitous descriptions; it isn't sensationalized.

This site has been covering, or at least commenting on, the accident since it happened. But writing about what actually happened is where the line should be drawn? Is it because it says that the police determined the driver to be at fault? I would think that conclusion would already be assumed by the vast majority of the public anyway; outside of downtown, there's just not that much else to explain an accident like that at 2:45 am in Athens. Besides, after the outpouring of grief that's occurred over this, I have a hard time imagining anyone making an issue out of it at this point. Of course I'm just guessing here, as I don't really see what's offensive about a straightforward accounting of what transpired. But like you say, it's all just opinion. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I too would prefer that we wait a few days until we start reading articles on the details. For now it’s important that the families and all involved have the opportunity ti grieve.

Unfortunately, in most situations like this, the shared emotions eventually turn to legal proceedings and accusations. Remember the Dan Snyder/ Dany Heatley accident that claimed Snyder’s life? I hope I am wrong.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Spdawg: There's little doubt that ultimately there will be at least one lawsuit. It was a UGA employee driving the vehicle hours after a UGA event, and the police report states she is at fault for the accident that caused a UGA student's death. The only question is the size of the damages. Hopefully it will be negotiated in private with minimal ugliness in the press.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Apparently you've never had a deer come through the windshield at 65mph. I did...about 30 yrs ago...in a place you would NEVER expect to see a deer.

DipShit happens. God bless those kids...there's no telling what happened. Only Tory knows and I'll be darned if I'm going to speculate.

As a person that has experienced both sides of the equation...I would much rather the news paper put all the factual information out there, than have to answer the question, "What happened" from every person I see. Or listen to the statement, "Well, I heard...blah, blah, blah."

IMO... Dawg Nation's reporting, which is about the extent of a lot of people's exposure to the news, nipped the rumor mill in the bud with a short factual report. As a Parent, that is much appreciated. Good job, Mike & Team.

I can't tell you how many friends and family members I've lost over the years to single car accidents, but, I will say this...each and every time, Family members choose "to know"...no, they need to know.

With the exception of my Grandmother. She went into shock for weeks after my Dad's twin Brother was killed in a single car collision with a light pole. And, he was a professional truck driver. Freak accident is what they called it. Like I said...

God be with you, Dev & Tory. You will be missed. And, the rest of you...please drive safe and wear your seat belts. They really do save lives. Mine was saved by a seat belt and air bag, in a head-on collision I was in, years ago. Nobody rides in my vehicle without a seat belt.

• Options
    GrogersGrogers Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

Man, it just highlights how much force is at play to eject a man Devon's size from the vehicle. This whole story just breaks my heart.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

We should be respectful [with our comments to each other] to the family members that are going to read this and to Mike Griffith who thoughtfully wrote this piece the best way possible. So please with regard to their loved ones and temper any negative comments and snipping of each other. They need comfort, mercy and to grieve in this tragedy. I know what it is like to lose a child and yes you do want to know the details no matter how harrowing they may be. Please bring Peace in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.😎

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for making my point. Now, please leave those kids alone and find something else to speculate about.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unfortunately it looks like the lawsuits will be coming sooner rather than later. I don’t fault the family as they need to protect their rights. But this has the potential of creating some serious issues for the program. I hope cooler heads prevail and a reasonable settlement is made.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Journalism is who, what, where, when, how, and why.

The facts.

This is journalism. You don't have to read it. You don't have to like it. You're free to criticize the writer.

Go, Dawgs!