Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

AD Mitchell enters transfer portal after two seasons with Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageAD Mitchell enters transfer portal after two seasons with Georgia football

Georgia football has seen another wide receiver enter the transfer portal, as AD Mitchell made the decision to do enter the portal. Texas has been the rumored favorite to land Mitchell’s services. Jake Rowe of DawgsHQ was the first to report the news

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

This has NIL written all over it.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have fun at Texas going 6-6 number 5

Grown mostly white coats and ties have allowed a very **** and evil 😈 system to be created with zero guardrails in place

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is what worries me about the younger generation. Loyalty seems to mean little, to nothing to them, but I guess my generation is at fault. It seems he would appreciate the one team that gave him a chance to show his abilities more than he would drool over what any other team dangles before him. Life is a boomerang, and you get back what you throw out. Now he will stand little chance to garner a third ring, and disloyalty shown to those who've done you well brings one bad karma, in my opinion. I only hope Kirby doesn't entice others to leave various teams via the portal prior to their making the decision to do so. However, with who we've gained through the portal, as well as those who we recruited this past cycle, UGA will be more than fine. GO DAWGA!!! 2023-peat!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh Man I sure hate to see AD leave !! But it’s his life and he has to follow what he feels is best for him. He will always be a DGD in my book. I wish him and all the other Dawgs that chose to leave the very best in life, Unless it’s in a game vs. our Dawgs, in that case I gotta pull for our Dawgs as always.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

He is leaving for the money. Don’t like what is happening to college football but it’s here. The DGD’s are harder to find in the days of unregulated NIL.

Should be some great competition in the receivers room. We have 2 really good veteran receivers coming in with 3 or 4 good recruits to go along with a room full of quality ones returning. Talk to me Jack-Saint, 23 is your breakout year!

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

He probably had the same idea as Burton. Only players to get the ball is Ladd McConkey and TEs or RBs.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and meant to add Dawgs still have a Very potent WR room even with AD and Blaylock, and others that have left. That said I’d be fine with Kirby taking a look at the portal to add one maybe even two more WRs to the roster As Long As he’s as certain as he can determine that they will meet or exceed the culture he’s worked hard to establish. Try as best possible not to bring any toxic dudes to the program. Though I realize you can’t be sure till they’ve been here a while and he and the coaching staff have had a chance to get a sense of how they are character wise.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang, well with two rings on his hands what can you say? go get that check young man we appreciate the hard work!

• Options
    CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 2023

Seem to remember reading a day or so ago that UGA roster was at 86, so one more student-athlete was going to have to find a new home. If that's truly the case, this move makes a lot of sense for ADM and for UGA.

Thanks for the memories and best wishes, AD. May all your dreams come true! You surely made the dreams of me and many other fans light up in ways I'll never forget. Hope you find a football home where you can continue to live large, young man!

• Options
    KeepChoppingKeepChopping Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Already has two rings, even if Texas goes 6-6. He's seen how fast injury can de-rail a season, let alone a career. If it really is about the $$, can't say I blame him.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@KhunKhaoDawg

Dan Mullen tried to build a program using the portal and it went horribly for him, so bad that it dragged down his predecessor.

Also, don't play the "woe is us due to the NIL" stuff. Notice how you don't see any guys on the 2 deep at OL, RB, TE, DB, LB or DL leave. WR is the only position where starters and - and guys in line to start - are leaving Athens. It is past time to acknowledge this and why.

Here is the reality: guys who have the ability to do so want to put up big numbers and attract attention from NFL scouts. There is no evidence that you can do so as a WR at UGA. That is why guys keep leaving. I tried to tell people this last season with the nonsense controversy over Jermaine Burton jumping ship, which people insisted was a blatant act by a selfish prima donna even though Burton was only 1 of 3 WRs who left last year.

Even this year, in a 15 game season where UGA set records on offense, the leading WR at UGA Ladd McConkey was #70 in NCAA receiving yards. Forget about being a 1st round pick with those numbers, and you would either need to run a 40 like Mecole Hardman or have rare ability like George Pickes to be a 2nd round pick. And McConkey had the best year by a WR ever in the Smart era. Even worse than that, after McConkey - who will be the #1 WR next season - the #2 and #3 WRs had 340 and 320 yards. How are you going to get drafted at all, let alone in the first 3 rounds, with numbers like that?

So Mitchell is going to play for Texas, because when Steve Sarkisian was at Alabama, he sent 4 WRs to the NFL as #1 picks - Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith - in 2 years. And only a knee injury in the championship game to John Metchie III kept it from being 5, and Metchie still went in the 2nd round. This isn't unique to Alabama. LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Florida, Miami and Clemson have all sent lots of WRs to the NFL when they have good coaching. I will tell you how absurd this is. Former UGA WR Matt Landers had more receiving yards for Arkansas last season than any UGA WR has had under Smart. And this for a team that doesn't run a pro-style offense and had injuries at QB. If KJ Jefferson doesn't miss 2 games, Landers gets 1000 yards easily. Landers wasn't the only guy who put up numbers either. Jadon Haselwood, the #2 WR, had 700 yards also. And this is with Arkansas playing 13 games instead of 15 like McConkey and the UGA WRs.

Yes, UGA signed 3 solid WR recruits in this class. But please know that if UGA's starting WRs continue to put up 50 yards a game like McConkey did last year or even less, those guys are going to leave also. Yes, Mitchell was hurt last year. But Jackson and Blaylock weren't. Everyone knows that Jackson and Blaylock had the ability to have more than 300 and 200 receiving yards like they did last season. Especially Jackson, who had 500 yards in 10 games just 2 years ago. So there is no evidence that even if he stayed healthy for 15 games he was going to put up more than 450 yards, and plenty of evidence that he wasn't.

If UGA wants to recruit more promising WRs and keep more of the WRs that they do land from transferring, this issue has to be addressed. It might rub Kirby Smart, a former defensive back, the wrong way to see WRs rack up numbers in his program. I recall how former QBs Bobby Bowden and Steve Spurrier grated at the idea of RBs having a starring role in their offenses (Spurrier to his credit got over this but Bowden never did, and it cost him at least a couple of national titles). But then again Nick Saban was a college defensive back too.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did it occur to anybody, that Mitchell was advised to transfer, to make room for next year's upgrade at the WR position? He's leaving with 2 rings and a few great memories and I'm a fan. But, it's not about him or any one player at UGA.

I hope he stays healthy...I'd like to see him playing on Sundays, soon. Go get em kid.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These receivers had so much potential but the injury bug... I hate to see them go.