Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

AD Mitchell enters transfer portal after two seasons with Georgia football

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a head scratcher for sure. He needs to see what happened to Burton when he left. Maybe he thinks, or knows, we aren’t going to throw it as much next year. Still SMH. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

The end result of Texas Oil money and Texas meddling... The NIL has effectively made College Football a REAL minor league for the NFL...

• Options
    grandsrockgrandsrock Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

@KhunKhaoDawg So after 2 nattys in a row, Kirby should change his offense to get better receivers, so those same receivers can get drafted higher? Kirby's job is to win games and championships, and he seems to be very good at it. But he needs to change so some receivers won't transfer in the portal and some may get drafted higher? Comments like yours make me even more thankful for CKS than I was before.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

i think AD had the best pure hands of all the receivers; saw him make some amazing catches in the two years. NIL may be a factor in his decision, but if it is, so what? That's part of the college sports' scene now. i like to think he's likely heading to Texas to be close to home as well as getting more focus time. We can only spread the ball around so much, and as long as we carry as talented and as large a receiver corps as we have, we won't likely have another receiver with AJ Green type numbers. One super star receiver (or RB or TE) is great to showboat one individual, but having five on the field at any one time, and the QB able to target any of them makes us extremely difficult to defend. Look at what TCU did to Texas; completely shut down Robinson, as he was their primary threat. i'm a little surprised to see AD leave, but i wish him look wherever he winds up.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

Are. You. Flipping. Kidding. Me???!!!

Arch Manning, possibly? That doesn't even make sense, though...

• Options

@E_Roc

Yeah, man. I like the way you're thinking. This is always the catch with stuff like this. All we can do is speculate, and that's worth about half as much as a cowboy's fart. I commented just below before reading anyone else's comments, which isn't usually how I roll, but I was pretty taken aback by that news and... didn't follow personal protocol (HA!). Anyhow, YES! There's (almost) always more than money and fame involved (I can't imagine fame-chasing by going to Texas, even IF they've got a Manning on campus now; not for Mitchell, who has consistently made a name for himself in clutch situations for UGA over these past two (NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP-WINNING!!) years), and we cannot know what's going through kids' heads. More than that - as I've said here many times - it's not our business. Do we love the U of GA, and them boys that represent it on the gridiron? Heck, yes!! Do those same boys owe us any explanation for their decisions, even when those decisions cause us anxiety about what the future of that program is going to look lie? Heck, no! Do we have to be big boys and girls about it and not cast aspersions on young men who are being guided in all sorts of directions and still trying to figure the world out, because we know that it's not always so simple? Heccckkkkk no. Are we STILL allowed to wonder, even if our questions will almost definitely never be answered. Dang right!

All that to say, GO DAWGS! AD will be missed, but I've got a feeling we're going to be ok.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

@thadec I agree with a lot of your very quantitative post (why DawgNation's Comments section is so often better than the original article). I have no idea, but to me, the "get closer to home" element here seems pretty real. Also, I love Kirby, but ... the way he makes WRs hit and be physical in practice is IMO a contributor to the never-ending injury bug we seem to have in the WR room. And Ladd is coming back - good for team; less balls to go around for other receivers.

Go somewhere else where I don't get pounded every day in practice and have a chance to have a 1000 yard year? (I saw an Arkansas game this year and could not believe it - "is that our old Matt Landers?"), I might make the switch, too. Especially if I already had 2 rings. And if his destination is Texas, you nailed it: Coach Sark and maybe, Arch Manning.

• Options

YES! Think about how many folks from OSU want to whine that we "took out their best receiver" while we had so many of our DAWGS out of that game. Think about how many Bummers want to cry about what the SECCG would have been like if Metchie and Williams were in the game... If you can boil your team down to one or two guys, you don't have a team. I absolutely loved the article last year about our "no-name defense" embracing its no-name status. Building a team is building a TEAM, not a good collection of guys.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree...the days are gone, when a Herschel Walker or Cam Newton can put a team on their back, and take em to the Promised Land. The game has evolved...much like Baseball, with the DH, big bullpens and specialty players.

It's NEVER a good idea to rely on 1 or 2 players to get you a Natty. Look what happens when one of em goes down, or is neutralized by injury. Like BAMA last year with their WRs and this year, with Young injured and OSU's WR group...all you're left with are 'excuses" instead of wins.

Kirby has turned UGA Football, back into a team sport and fun to watch.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll take Kirby/Monken calling the shots vs. you @thedec.

BTW, Manning won't be starting at Texas while AD plays - if he goes there. Ewers will start this year. AD will leave after one year.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...@thadec doesn't think things through. I don't pay much attention to his bloviations. There's very little logic in his words and his statistics go all over the place to make no point. I believe he's actually a Gator-aide in Bulldog clothing. There's no way a Dawg fan can possibly be that obtuse. Lmao

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

If he entered the transfer portal and immediately has a believed favorite school, I’m thinking there could be some type of violation/tampering there. I’m sure he didn’t just say “I’m going to enter the portal and hope Texas comes calling”. Either way, wish him well. Hurts to see him go, but if it’s about money or family, then I get it. Most of us would probably do the same.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

From UGA to Texas? Go figure.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He (I'm assuming he's a he) did finally come out and say a little while back that he's not a Georgia fan. I've been getting a Florida vibe, too. It just seems to strike a bit more of a nerve for him when that subject comes up on this site; he seems to take things a little more personally. Although there was also a recent comment that had me wondering if he might be a techie, something about liking or not liking a potential candidate to take Collins' job. But either way, it does make one wonder why he comes to a Georgia site and wastes so much time typing these lengthy, half-baked arguments.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Sounds like he/she/it has First hand experience at what he/she/it is preaching. They forget they will be an "old head" one day, if they are lucky. Not suprised by the comment, if you consider the source..