Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football world reacts to AD Mitchell transfer decision

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football world reacts to AD Mitchell transfer decision

ATHENS — AD Mitchell made some of the biggest plays of the season for Georgia in both of its championship runs. He caught the go-ahead touchdown in the 2022 National Championship Game win over Alabama and then did it again against Ohio State in this season’s Peach Bowl.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how much is giving up on a chance at a historic three- peat is worth? If you can't beat them, buy their players...

Kirby is prepared. No worries. GOOOODAWGS

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the first one this year that took me by surprise (guess I'm not as sharp as I thought). I thought he was poised to have a monster year in 2023 for the Dawgs. I guess he will probably have that monster year at Texas (if that rumor becomes true). My hat's off to anyone who saw this coming because I sure didn't!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang…..I hate this. Hopefully he will have a change of heart and return for a huge 2023 season. Go Dawgs and good luck AD!!!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree. I know MG said in a tweet that this was not a surprise, but it sure was to me. More than any other transfer to this point...

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

🇨🇱🇨🇱🤘◀️💰💰💰◀️🏃‍♂️💨

Looks just like a Tyrique Stevenson situation, will NCAA do anything, nope. Texas comes out looking for him and magically he enters portal.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

Again, focusing only on Burton when UGA actually lost 3 WRs to the portal last season. Trying their best to refuse to see the forest for the trees.

@SmartsTheMan

1. A "historic three-peat" won't mean a thing to the NFL draft. What matters to the NFL draft is lots of tape of making the types of plays against college defenses that they will have to routinely make in the NFL. Because UGA rarely throws to their WRs under Kirby Smart - McConkey put up the most receiving yards in any season by a WR in the Smart era with only 50 yards a game ... Jermaine Burton actually had more ypg at Alabama this season - this means that the only WRs under Smart to get drafted in the first 4 rounds have been the brother of a 1st rounder (Riley Ridley), a guy who ran under a 4.3 40 (Mecole Hardman) and one of the best pure athletes anyone has ever seen (George Pickens) and even those guys were 4th, 2nd and 2nd rounders, not the 1st rounders that Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, USC etc. routinely produce.
    2. I wish people would quit blaming NIL for this. UGA WRs were leaving the Smart regime over limited touches long before NIL. And if it was NIL seducing kids, then you would see the OL, DL, LB, RB, DB and TE guys leaving too. They aren't, or at least not the guys in line for real playing time. Why? Because UGA regularly produces 1st and 2nd round draft picks at OL, DL, LB, RB and DB. Now TE is a special case: aside from Miami in the 2000s and Alabama in the late 2010s, no school has a track record of consistently producing high draft picks at that position. But TEs have a better chance to get drafted at UGA than anywhere else recently with Nauta in 2019, Woerner in 2020, McKitty in 2021 and FitzPatrick in 2022, and with Washington this year and Bowers that is going to mean a UGA TE getting drafted for an incredible 6 years in a row (and I am not afraid to predict that Delp will make it 7).
    3. Bottom line: UGA will consistently recruit and retain top WR talent when they start regularly producing 1st and 2nd round picks at WR, or at the very least guys who have long careers. As it is, the only WR who played for Kirby to have gotten that coveted big second contract was Isaiah McKenzie. Javon Wims, Riley Ridley and Terry Godwin are out of the NFL. Mecole Hardman, despite being a former 2nd round pick, will only get the veteran minimum for his next contract because he wasn't able to put up numbers or have an impact as a WR even with Pat Mahomes getting him the ball (4.3 speed and has one of the lowest ypc for a starting WR in the NFL).

You may think that it makes sense for these kids to sacrifice potentially millions of dollars to aid UGA's team success makes a lot of sense, but you aren't in the position to give up these millions of dollars. We know that Kearis Jackson was capable of a lot more ... he had 500 yards receiving in 10 games in 2020. Had he followed Jermaine Burton, Justin Robinson and Jaylen Johnson out the door he doesn't get a ring, but he also isn't stuck entering the NFL draft based on 21 catches for 320 yards and 0 TDs in his last season. If Jackson gets drafted at all, it will be by the Falcons with their last pick in the bottom 1/3 of the 7th round to appease UGA fans angry over the Falcons never drafting their players. You tell me whether that was worth a 2nd ring.

Right now Kirby is still able to get talented WRs players to come to UGA out of high school and the portal because those guys believe that by doing so it will advance their NFL prospects. But if this keeps up for another couple of years - and recruits start to realize that things aren't going to change no matter who the QB or OC is or how talented the WRs are so long as Kirby is the head coach - they are going to stop coming, so the only "adaptation" that will be possible will be UGA learning to win national titles with yeoman WRs. Even the diamonds in the rough that they find like AD Mitchell are going to transfer out when they prove themselves.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I posted this yesterday under Connor Riley's article about replacing NFL draft entrants. Kid wants to go home to be closer to family and friends. Its a personal thing and not a program thing. Can't blame him. I loved my family too, unfortunately they have all died (I'm only 42), so make the most of the time you got.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec....mostly agree with your analysis. In general, we haven't used the WRs to the extent a lot of high powered offenses have over the last few years. However, we do have (2) National Championships and even with Mitchell leaving the program, we still will have one of the best receiving corps in the country next season. So, I don't think it matters next season much. A lot of our usage of WRs will depend on how the QB competition plays out next season. We have a pretty easy schedule - even among the SEC teams - and may or may not need the complete services of a veteran WR group by the time the playoffs get here. I'd be really surprised if we weren't in the SEC Championship game next season against Bama, and they have to work in a new QB as well.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like others, I'm surprised by this. I mean, even with the other kids coming in, I still thought AD had an EXCELLENT chance at starting next year. I didn't know that he had a child, though, so maybe that's on him, although Darnell Washington brought his baby and girlfriend to Athens with him, so hard to see the issue here. People keep saying he wanted a better chance to go to the NFL, but isn't that exactly what RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett (and even Ladd McConkey) want, too? I'm not mad, but I just wonder why Mitchell doesn't believe he can get that by staying at Georgia. These guys all leave thinking they'll be the #1 receiver at their new school and I think they find out, it's just not that simple. That said, thanks for the memories, AD. Hope you'll be happy. I know us Dawg fans are. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thadec, then how do you explain RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett (who I'm sure have NFL aspirations) transferring to UGA?

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

M Griffith says it's no surprise to players or staff.

Well, it surprised me.

I'm not a player or staff, so, I guess I'm excluded.

Really, though; why wouldn't I be. That's a pretty personal thing.

Someone in this thing said something about being closer to his kid. That's crazy relevant.

He'll be great wherever he ends up, and has been a heckuva player for the couple minutes of game time to which he's contributed. Could have been a dangerous dude next year, but,we seem set to have many of those.

So.

Good luck to you, Mr. Mitchell. DGG while you were.

• Options
    StAugDawgStAugDawg Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

Best of luck to him. Couldn’t have asked for any more than the contributions he made and the history he helped create. Thanks for the memories. And let’s not forget that he was out most of the season and we had a Hellava year. UGA will be just fine. I imagine the coaching had an inclination this could happen, see no further than the two WRs we got from the portal. Now let’s reset and GATA!!!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Along with the two skills that you mentioned, he’s 6’4” and can run like Forrest Gump. He will make some NFL owner very happy one day. He’s already made us Dawg fans happy!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good comments. AD obviously weighed his options. He had not played much last season, but when he did it was impactful. Ladd McConkey stepped up big time, and is AD's equal on the field. Smart hit the portal for two fine receivers...knowing AD would likely bolt. I suspect family and NIL played a part in this decision. Wish him well.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t really like it but a lot of folks have wanted this type of thing for a long time. It’s actually a win win all the way around. No one can really complain anymore about the players freedom and we get to find out who can really manage , organize and coach. Kirby seems to be able to manage this but I could see some coaches bolting into retirement or the NFL

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do not understand this but I do not wish AD any ill will.

I am competitive in spirit, mind, and body, as well as raised in a 20 year time period where things are much different than they are now.

The grass is usually not greener on the other side was a common phrase growing up in the late 70’s and early 80’s and you could see that was the case as you entered adulthood back then. You had to live and learn and most times solely accountable for your actions without a solid support net(for mostly males) was commonplace. No one I know or grew up with would even think about moving back home with the folks if things went “south”with a big decision like this: we’d rather live in the crummiest trailer or even on the streets before turning to that.

However, that isn’t the world these young people are living in today, and that’s okay. They have more opportunities and advantages and they are seizing upon them without really looking 10 or 20 years down the road. Good for them.

I wish him the best, appreciate what he did while wearing our colors and repping our state and favorite CFB team, and say goodbye.

I am not going to be disingenuous and state that I am going to root for him at another school, and that should be okay to say and feel that way about this thing.

Cade Mays did something similar to this the year after Georgia won the SEC East and then went over to UT, his original home state team where his brother played. I didn’t wish him any ill will but I did rather enjoy watching our d-line tear his butt up the following year when they played against his “home” team.

such is life!

and, as always, GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soooo….. UGA didn’t pass the ball enough this year? Asking for a friend

from what I saw of the national championship game that had a nationwide audience, we threw the ball all over the yard.

Im growing sick of those outside the program accusing UGA of being the old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It’s not. What UGA is is a well balanced offensive machine in every aspect of the word balance. Balanced well not just between Run and pass, but balanaced between ball distribution on those two attacks.