Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Georgia wide receiver AD Mitchell announces transfer to Texas

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

If anyone doesn't think the core motivation for transferring to Texas isn't the huge financial package presented to him through the Texas boosters, then let me sell you some ocean front property in Kansas. Family may have played a part, and that is certainly going to be what is emphasized because it sounds a lot more noble, but it's the NIL bucks that takes him to Texas.

What amazes me is the almost unanimous agreement that the pursuit of the money is legitimate and to be respected. A generation ago that thinking was not even on the radar. It's a sad testament to how deeply entrenched the "me" mindset has become. It's like so many other things that have become legitimized in this day that a generation ago would have been appalling.

College athletes are offered a free education worth well into six figures these days. An education is something that will sustain 99 percent of these athletes going forward as only a small percentage make it into the NFL. And those athletes who have the talent to make it to the NFL are given a platform in college athletics to make it happen. But none of that is enough to foster any sense of loyalty or commitment except to themselves.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@BubbaBill

1. WRs with NFL potential are going to transfer from UGA until UGA proves that they can develop WRs who become high draft picks and have long NFL careers without running a 4.3 40 like Mecole Hardman - an NFL bust by the way - or a next level athlete like George Pickens. These guys have seen how Chicago gave up on Javon Wims (very good but not great athlete) and Riley Ridley (top 200 player, brother of #1 pick) in 3 years and how Terry Godwin - 5 star recruit - regressed at UGA, had 3 career receptions in the NFL and are now in Canada. And they saw how Matt Landers went from UGA washout to a legit NFL prospect for Arkansas this season. They are receptive to pitches on the recruiting trail on how things are going to change and UGA is going to open up the offense, but after no WR has 500 receiving yards in 2021 and only 1 WR had more than 350 receiving yards (and he had only 760) despite playing 15 games both seasons, what are they supposed to do? You can't put together enough tape to get drafted high with those numbers, and you don't develop the skills to stick on an NFL roster when you are competing against guys that had like 250 catches for 3000 yards in their college careers (and these are WRs who get taken in rounds 3-5). Expecting these guys to ruin their NFL potential to help UGA win national titles is unrealistic. UGA is going to either have to start developing NFL talent at WR like every other championship program the last 30 years has had no problem doing, or just recruit 3 star WRs who are glad to get on the field for a contender. (Of course, if UGA does the latter, that will affect the caliber of QB that UGA is able to land). Until either happens, UGA fans need to stop pretending as if it is the players that are doing something wrong here by not sacrificing their earning potential on behalf of head coaches who are making $10 million a year who don't want to take risks with the ball and may be able to offer them a grad assistant spot or a low level job in the athletics department for a couple of years when they don't get drafted, or when they get drafted and get cut.
    2. Yes, it is illegal for coaches to contact players until they are in the portal. But it is perfectly legal for coaches to contact pretty much everybody else and have them pass it on. You can contact their high school coach (which from what I have read on this topic is the typical method) or AAU/youth coach. You can contact that player's offseason trainer. You can contact that player's former high school teammate. Even if there are rules against contacting blood relatives and household members, you can contact a cousin or friend. You can't pay the intermediary, but you don't have to anyway.

The NCAA did step in to tone down some of this by making "most" players who attempt to transfer a second time sit out a year. Probably in response to such ridiculousness as JT Daniels, who has leveraged a redshirt and a pandemic year to play for what will be 4 schools in 5 years (had Daniels chosen Notre Dame - who wanted him badly - instead of West Virginia, he goes to the playoffs with the Irish and enters the draft). But that is the most that they are going to be able to do.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enthusiastic, detailed, and lengthy, but overstated and likely mostly incorrect. It appears Georgia has the strongest and deepest WR room in many years—possibly ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh sure, that's why Thomas and Lovett transferred into UGA-to be developed for the NFL. Both team leading receivers with bright futures. Burton probably did better at UGA with Bennett than he did with Bama and Young (when you consider the number of games he was out/limited at UGA). With Mitchell going down, he would likely have been the leading WR at UGA, so horrible move on his part and now he is stuck in college another year because Bama didn't use/develop him well. Might well be heading to the draft after winning his second ring had he stayed. Mitchell's situation is different. Transfers from top programs are the new paradigm. UGA just has so much talent that they can't play everybody. Players will leave to get playing time for lesser teams.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I don't doubt that the UT boosters sweetened the pot to make it an easier decision for him; there are a few other programs in Texas, after all. But you say that as though he couldn't still be getting paid as a star player for UGA. So if it's all about money, it comes down to how much more would UT be willing to pay, and of all the receivers in the country who they could so easily lure away, did they single out Mitchell - and if so, why him? None of this is known.

But hey, I'm willing and able to change my perspective on things in light of new information. So if you have some evidence that his primary motivation wasn't the fact that he could be about 1,000 miles closer to his infant daughter (who you've essentially written off as a prop in all this) - that he would have up and left Athens for Austin just the same had she never been born - then present it, and I'll take it into consideration. Otherwise, your comment is just another example of all the baseless assumption surrounding this story.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Funny, UGA has signed 2 -5* and 1- 4* QB in the last 4 years. Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, and Gunner Stockton. UGA did that With those 3rd ,4th, and lower round WR's already on the roster. WR's that helped lead UGA to consecutive National Championships, not many 5* WR's have won back to back titles. Those same WR's that you love to find fault in. Not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. So,Nice try.. And don't bring up Arch Manning, without that last name, he's a 3* QB at best, and definitely not a top 100 player, much less the #1 recruit. Majority of his passes are less than 10 yards, but he gets credit if it's turned into a 70 yard TD. I'm glad he didn't bring his drama, and side show family to Athens. UGA already has 3 QB's just as good., many would say better. Wonder how little Archie will like watching Ewers be the Longhorns QB next season? It has transfer portal written all over , if he isn't named the starter, just watch. Same as Tate Martell did at Ohio st.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm amazed at the number of butt-hurt people who think AD Mitchell is some kind of traitor for leaving UGA. I will thank him for his great contributions, and wish him well at Texas. Circumstances change for people and sometimes you have to do what's best for your family. Why does that have to be a bad thing? AD owes nobody an explanation, least of all these turn-coat fans who seem to think UGA owns them.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... I just think this sucks.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The picture tells the story. That’s a cute little girl. I would want to be closer to my little girl, too.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, guess what! He's gone back home to Texas and the Manning family. Let's see what happens ... What's the name of the receiver who transferred to Alabama? I can't remember.