Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why Georgia’s immediate offensive future hinges on retaining coordinator Todd Monken

Comments

• CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another fine example of your passive aggressive/negative spin takes.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely! Monken would be a hard loss if he decided to leave. I hope he has decided that the value of working under Smart, having amazing talent to work with, and living in Athens is good enough for many years to come. One can dream! GO DAWGS!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I Love how all three of our QBs are embracing internal competition. And gaining extremely good knowledge of the position from a former NFL OC. So Yes Monken is vital in many ways. And I agree with some of the other posters here, that if we lose Monken it’s entirely possible we would lose one ( or more ?) of our QBs. I did say possible not definite. Suffice it to say the man is very important to UGA Dawgs and if they can retain him especially for the next 2-3 years it would be a good thing.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 266 ✭✭✭ Junior

@navydawg - I concur! I do think they are, perhaps, tutoring Bobo to step in should Monken go to the NFL. I know there are those who simply hate the thought of that idea, but his offenses were pretty high scoring back in the day, and if he is able to learn a great deal from Monken, it would be great as far as continuity goes, and the offense will not have to learn a new playbook. Saban liked Kiffin's offense so much, he had new OC's use it, or so I've heard. Whatever happens - GO DAWGS!!!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you @jdatl3. I've been saying that since BEFORE the season began. It's not just calling the right play, it's calling the right play at the right time for the right personnel. That's what Monken does and he does it from his gut. If that QB out of California was worth $13 million to UF without so much as a single college snap, what is Monken worth to us at UGA? Pay the man whatever it takes, put Schuman right behind him. Everyone else (including Bobo and Muschamp) can hang around or get gone. Go Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

@thadec...I have to disagree with some of your comments. Yes, the talent has obviously gotten better, but just from the comments coming from several key players like Stet, Vandagriff, and Bowers, there is absolutely NO doubt that Monken was and IS a key cog to player development AND player RETENTION. That certainly cannot be said for most OCs. Losing Monken would be a blow to our offense no matter who else you get to replace him. I just think you can't discount the effectiveness of Monken and his play calling. I'm not saying another OC couldn't do a great job as well, but I do think he won't be easily replaced.

Bama has always had a revolving door of coordinators, and I have to hand it to Saban for doing such a fantastic job of keeping the ball rolling no matter who is the OC or DC. He may have a hiccup every now and then but overall, the guy is the G.O.A.T. of head coaches. Maybe one day Kirby will be able to claim that GOAT status.

• Run_Lindsey_RunRun_Lindsey_Run Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

Still comes down to recruiting and having the players learn and execute the fundamentals so the explosive plays can unfold. Todd Monken has one of the best jobs in college football. If I were in his shoes - which I'm not - no way do I jump from between the hedges to go somewhere else. He's pulling down $2 million a year. Byron Leftwich's salary as OC with the Buccaneers was $825,000. Monken may very well leave some day but it won't be this year. And when/if he does leave, do not give the keys to Mike Bobo. He did terrible job at Auburn. I peg him as massively mediocre at UGA. He is fine in current role but not OC. Pleanty of top tier OCs will be calling Smart if.when the vacancy occurs.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As with all things planning is greatest when there are great players or team members to execute it. Praising Monken, and rightfully so, doesn’t take away from all the talent that UGA has assembled. Love the comment about the fact that there seemed to be an answer for anything as defense could throw at them - that just tells you he has outstanding schemes and drills the QBs to use strategy and game planning with their great athletic skills. A perfect combination and one to try and keep together as long as possible. That being said, if he does leave, there is another out there and i have confidence Kirby will find them. Saw a picture in another article of him out recruiting and that is as good of a sight as any. Keep it rolling and Go DAWGS

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Beck, like Vandagriff, emphasized the value Monken brings."...I believe that if all three stayed and even if one had very few snaps.... because they were in the "Monken" system and they are all gifted athletes, they will all go high in the NFL draft.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I accidentally hit to send a message when I didn’t have one. Since I don’t have a clue as to how to delete this I’d like to wish that you all have a great weekend and you give me a “thumbs up” for this fabulous post. Go Dawgs!!!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken says he plans on retiring in Athens!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe Manning Award Winner for the best QB in college needs to go prove himself, again. Let that sink in.

• GrogersGrogers Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Pay that man whatever it takes.....that is all.

• CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was a great college QB. But the NFL is, or used to be when I still watched it, a different animal. Every player was an elite player in college and QBs generally need to be a pocket passer and know how to get rid of the ball quickly.

SB is also small for an NFL QB and will be under more pressure than he saw at UGA.

He could be a great pro QB but he will have to prove he has the skills to perform at the pro level just like everybody else.