Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL notes twist in Stetson Bennett story, ‘obviously he’s not in a great place’

2»

Comments

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Five downvotes already? I only counted three people who made comments that could be considered agreeing with MG. Five downvotes for speaking the truth? I'm starting to believe MG has multiple sock accounts and he just downvotes those people who are critical of him.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All I have to say is,the boy better grow up and fast.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

So his career is his to win or lose. What will it be Stetson?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks. And, as for that little incident in Dallas...just because the cops ASSUMED he was the one "banging on doors"...doesn't mean, that's what happened.

I think we've all seen how the media and justice system wash each other's hands. I won't believe a darned thing, until it goes to court.

And, it won't. Suspicious behavior does not equal criminal intent or behavior. More than likely, the charges for "banging on doors", will be dismissed...if any have been filed. And, depending on the BAC test...the "public intoxication" charge, may be dropped as well.

If Bennett wasn't the one "banging on doors", he might actually have grounds for a lawsuit against the Dallas PD and possibly various media outlets, for damages due to slander.

Unless, of course, there is video evidence, an actual confession or more than one eyewitness. If that's the case, what is the explanation? Was he legitimately trying to find the house he just left...was he working out at the time the Police approached him regarding the banging? Did he just appear to be inebriated. What, if anything did the BAC show?

I know for a fact, that if you administered the breathalyzer @7am to someone that stopped drinking @2am...he/she can still hit the .08 mark. Not that it matters.

As far as I know, "drunk in public" is an extremely subjective charge. The ONLY reason that charge was made, is because the cops thought he was the one knocking on doors...and he told em he didn't. They thought they were being lied to...so, they arrested him pending an investigation into the mystery "door banger". Lol

I sincerely hope this isn't how it appears. If it is...well, I said a couple of weeks ago, that I was concerned about Bennett's mental health after working in the Bulldog pressure cooker as long as he has.

What concerns me even more, is the willingness of Dawg Nation reporting, to immediately cast doubt on Bennett, given the scant information they've been afforded. The picture Dawg Nation has painted from minimal facts is astounding, given the failures of various Police Departments and Justice Departments, highlighted over the past 3 years.

I don't know what I was thinking...hell, the media is in the FAIL column, in the way they've been doing THEIR job, over the last several years, as well.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

For good or bad, being the QB and fulfilling a role as leader and "ambassador" for Georgia Football and the University of Georgia, Stetson's behaviour off the field has been very disappointing. A dumpster fire of sorts. Very poor judgement and failure in personal discipline, in word and deed. Hope this is more of a one off, learning lesson. We all have our mea culpa moments, what matters most is how those are handled. I hope that he can learn valuable lessons from this.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry, you are trying to get a job in a high paying, highly select profession. You do everything right and take advantage of the opportunities presented. Saying he is mad because he received a late offer to attend is just silly. If I wanted the job of my dreams and I found out the day before that I had an intervew, you'd better believe I am thankful for the opportunity and I am at that interview.

And I darned sure am not out acting the fool when I know people are watching and my character can make or break my chances at making hundreds of thousands or even millions.

• Options

I don't think he's as concerned as some of you conclusion jumpers, want him to be. Lol

My guess is, that, with Kirby Smart, Todd Monkin and Bryan McClendon as coaches...Bennett has already been contacted by a couple of NFL Teams. He has a good idea of where he's going, already. Those teams may have advised him not to attend the Senior Bowl and gave him a list of things to work on.

In fact...if Monkin takes the Tampa Bay job...Bennett may well replace Brady, as the Bucs QB.

See...I can speculate, too. And, my speculation has a ring of reality to it.

• Options

It's actually, a Pre-Interview. One, in which, Bennett could get injured and never make it to the primary interviews...or play football again.

IMO...You can't look at it, as just a high paying job. It's also a dangerous occupation that can leave you high and dry, if you tear a knee ligament...or arm, or shoulder, or oblique muscle (see JT Daniels or Dak Prescott), if you are a QB.

The risk vs reward for a QB to attend the Senior Bowl, is completely different than any of the other position groups. Bennett's game, relies on timing passes to receivers he's been working with, running and scrambling when nothing is there, setting up the right protection package, depending on reads, etc..

All, are actions that are either prohibited or severely curtailed due to the venue and short practice time.

There's a huge difference between a Defensive Lineman, D. Wyatt, and a QB attending to improve their draft stock. It's not even comparable.

If Bennett was not ready for the pre-interview, which I believe he's already had, why go and watch your draft stock fall due to conditions out of your control.

There's 2 more opportunities to have that conversation, without risking your future to injury. It's called "work smart...not hard". He hasn't been given the "benefit of the doubt" once, that I recall. If he goes and gets injured at a useless All Star game...who's gonna give him a real shot? Nobody.

I'm with Bennett on this one. Do what you gotta do...and to hell with fan/media perception. They're not the people you have to impress....yet. And they sure don't have a contract for you to sign.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This article provides very little actual info on the incident, and details seem sketchy. I don't think any of us in the public know was going on. Most states have "under the influence" laws that are distinct from what we all know as "intoxicated" where the blood level doesn't have to be even as high as the famous 0.08. It doesn't look like he was endangering anybody. Why don't we all just take a breath and let it play out?

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Life is about choices, and, more importantly, the choices we make. In life, many choices matter a great deal, thus the choice made is a really good choice, or a really bad choice. Whether or not attend the senior bowl might not matter much in the end - had nothing happened shortly afterward. However, if he did get snockered, and bang on the doors of stranger's homes, that was a terrible choice, and makes his choosing not to attend the senior bowl a really bad choice.

• Options
    DannyMcGDannyMcG Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Hell hath no fury like a bowl executive spurned. Of course Nagy wanted Stet there for the draw, but the man just won the second of back to back nattys 2 weeks ago, has plenty of game tape, and clearly decided the senior bowl was not the best path for him at this point. He's NEVER aspired to be a backup; it's not in his make-up, and if that's how they wanted to showcase him, even more reason to turn it down. Of course he did serve as a backup for a full season when he came back to UGA, as well as parts of two others, always prepared and ready to step in - as in 2020 when he was initially deemed 3rd team at best but bailed them out when others left or failed and AGAIN in 2021 when, after being benched for parts of two seasons, he stepped in and led his team to their first national championship in 40 years !!! When many said that was fluke and he should move on, he proceeed to outdo everything he had done the year before. He has NEVER put himself before team despite all the playoff MVP awards and Heisman nomination. Give a guy a break. I'm betting on Stet as he bets on himself, and if he doesn't make it, it will only be because he constantly challenges himself to succeed at the very highest level, never settling.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is an interview and an opportunity. You take advantage of the opportunities, particularly when you need them, and I'm sorry, but I think he needs them because I don't think he has any idea where he is headed. We've seen enough drafts to know that what we believe is going to happen doesn't. That sure fire first round selection sometimes drops (see Nakobe Dean). With the exception of a very few early first rounders, players don't know up until they get a phone call right before their name is called where they are going.

Yes, football is a high risk venture at any level but it actually IS a high paying job that a very small percentage get an opportunity at the professional level so yes, any chance to show off is a chance you need. And don't think that a running back isn't high risk yet there is McIntosh, taking his turn because, while he is amazing, he recognizes he needs the additional opportunity.

And as you said, he has not been given the benefit of the doubt so yes, sometimes you have to work harder and not just smarter. Bennett's entire career shows that. How much do you want it and what are you willing to do to get there? Me? I'd do anything I had to.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

You just can't let it go and move on from SB can you Mike?

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

What on earth are 10 college football HCs doing at a Senior Bowl practice? Do they need ink that bad?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Funny you should mention that point because it also hit me as a bit strange. I guess those coaches are bored and maybe they are there to support a former player. I agree with you that it’s a bit bizarre. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Has anyone considered possibility that Stetson is n 1st stages of grief for Devin? Afterall Devin protected Stetson n last 3 games. Young ppl cope w/ loss n various ways. Still hard 4 me, an old person, 2 watch replays of last 3 games, my heart still aching. Instead of criticizing, lets PRAY 4 Stetson, (families of DW & CL, teammates, coaches, Kirby) - grieving is hard, I know, i buried my 1st daughter @ 16 yo n 1995, then my future son-n-law died n MVA, 2019, a WR 4 Troy team who beat LSU.

Time heals, lets give Stetson time, time 2 heal, time 2 process the end of a legendary performance 4 a small town boy never looking 4 fame just love 4 UGA like all of us🙏❤🖤

DawgMom

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said. There are some here that don't understand the way the world works and logic LOL.

As for "risk" in this game, QB is the least risky position to play in this game with all the QB protection rules and the "all-star" games ban on blitzing.

Plain and simple it is a missed opportunity for any player (especially a QB) that passes. Compounded by an arrest that occurred when he would have been practicing, learning the plays and meeting w/coaches and GM's. Bad decision making.

For all those giving SBIV a pass for "boys being boys". How many of you have been arrested after the age of 25? Doing something boneheaded at 18 is one thing doing something boneheaded at 25 is totally different.