Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football 2024 title hopes benefit with Texas, Oklahoma early-Big 12 exit talks stalling

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football 2024 title hopes benefit with Texas, Oklahoma early-Big 12 exit talks stalling

MOBILE, Ala. — The SEC won’t expand with Texas and Oklahoma until 2025, per an ESPN report, which would leave Georgia’s schedule intact.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kevinelderskevinelders Posts: 5 ✭✭ Sophomore

Oklahoma was to play in Athens in 2025 as part of a home/home series. That wouldn't have worked with OK joining the SEC in 2025, so both games were canceled.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, so we get ripped off for the Oklahoma game again. So how about a zero-week USC marquee matchup? 😎

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

I don't know what is funnier.

1. That anyone believes that there is a scenario where a 2 loss team makes the playoff.
    2. That anyone believes that there is a scenario where a 1 loss SEC team doesn't make the playoff.
    3. That anyone believes that there is a scenario where a 1 loss defending champion doesn't make the playoff (and UGA has won 2 in a row).
    4. That anyone believes that a victory over Oklahoma, who went 6-7 last year (their only victory over a winning team came at home to 7-6 Oklahoma State) and hasn't won the Big 12 since 2020, would help UGA's strength of schedule anyway.
    5. That UGA's "easy schedule" doesn't do anything but benefit UGA. It reduces the chances for injury. It allows UGA plenty of time to break in the new QB (and possibly OC). UGA gets a ton of games to develop younger players for depth. When the "SECCG+playoff" stage of the season comes, UGA should be the healthiest, deepest team in the country by a considerable margin. As well as the most talented one overall. It worked for Ohio State in 2014, Clemson in 2015, 2016 (then again the ACC was actually pretty good in 2015-2016) and 2018, so much so that the Bama fans started whining how it was "unfair." It will work for UGA in 2022.
  • Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't think of that. Good point, I just like beating Oklahoma and well... everybody else. 😎

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@thadec

“It will work for UGA in 2022.”

I think UGA did just fine without it in 2022.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got to admit, I'm with on this one @thadec. I'm probably the rare Georgia fan who would LOVE a full schedule loaded with patsies if it means we get to play in the NCG every year. All people will remember 5, 10, 50 years from now, is who won the championship, not how strong or weak their schedule was. Let everyone else play the "marquee matchups." I'll gladly watch. Why make it hard on ourselves? And if by some miracle, a fickle finger of fate comes along and somehow OU and Texas decide to STAY in the Big 12, I'd be perfectly OK with that, too. I just want to win it all again, baby. And the easier that road is for UGA, the better. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Agreed. With OK joining the SEC, EVENTUALLY OK and UGA will be scheduled. Play the game in '23 at OK as scheduled and then play the next scheduled OK/UGA SEC game at UGA. It was a no brainer.

Expansion is an arms race. Grow and add TV markets means bigger TV contracts means more tv money per team. It was about money. It is always about money.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta feel sorry for those season ticket holders in 2023...what a weak slate of home games.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with most of what you’re getting at here. The only catch to number five is that all of that development you mention is going to come against - from what we can guess right now - sub-par teams. While in-game reps MAY provide a different experience from practice, the whole “iron sharpens iron” idea sort of goes out the window when so much of the season is given over to sharpening our iron with lead. Healthy is good, yes, but healthy and not actually conditioned isn’t. Remember the SECCG from ‘21, after that chunk of late-season cupcakes?

• Options

Yeah, we’ll still be there, but I don’t expect it to get quite as lit as November 5 was this past year.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's the explanation we keep getting, but I have yet to see anyone actually explain why two teams that will be in the same conference couldn't play a game that was scheduled. At face value, it makes absolutely no sense.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both Texas and OK are breathing a huge sigh of RELIEF that they have until 2025 before they face meaningful competition in the SEC. At present neither team is up to the standard off competing against The Dawgs, The Tide, much less LSU, Tenn., et. al.

• Options

In the end the home-and-home would have ended up messing up the intra-conference scheduling. Or rather, honoring the second home game would have affected (read: favored the interests of UGA and OK) how the conference schedule was worked out, thereby affecting every teams slate. Put like that, it sounds simple enough: since we're incorporating two new teams, just start things out honoring that deal, and there's no issue. The problem, I think, is that they were scheduled as out-of-conference games - and major deal ones at that - and the follow-up games would have been standard intra-conference fare. What I'm pretty sure all of that really means is that the money gets uneven somewhere along the line, and someone would lose out.