Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Carson Beck is likely next up at quarterback, according to departing Georgia offensive leader

SystemSystem Posts: 10,537 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Carson Beck is likely next up at quarterback, according to departing Georgia offensive leader

ATHENS — Georgia has a leadership void to plug on offense with Kenny McIntosh — who Kirby Smart referred to as the “Alpha Leader” — moving on to the next level.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kenny knows better than any of us. If anyone can run a Monken offense though it is someone who has been running it since Monken has been there. Beats the alternative, but that being said, Monken adjusts to this players so its going to all be good IMO.

Kenny knows best and he said consistency is the key. No matter who gets the job, they can lose it before the season is over if they are not consistent and apparently that is all that Beck or the other 2 need to work on. Because they all can play and have the talent.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of SB's greatest assests was a short memory. He didn't dwell on a bad pass, an Int. or even a few bad passes. He always believed he would complete the next pass he threw and that no one else could do it as good as he could. A good path for CB to follow.

I also agree about the maturity factor. I watched him after the NC game and Kirby was smiling and talking to him, but he wasn't smiling. Also, there was an interview with somone maybe leading up to the NC game and the interviewer was asking him questions and instead of the usual, "gee I;\'m just happy to be apart of the team" and such, he never smiled once but was stone cold serious. I'll take that over the smiling, gee golly, I'm just happy to be apart of the team and I'll be ready if coach calls my number. He just seemed years older than even in 2021.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

I believe Beck will get the chance to start, but, if he can't lead the team, Kirby will go with the next QB, we have seen this in the past with the other QB's that came in after Jake Fromm left. I just want the best QB, whoever Kirby and Monken choose I will support him just like I supported Stetson Bennett.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have now come over to the Beck camp as the likely starter for the '23 season. Personally, I like BVG's mobility advantage giving him a higher ceiling. BUT Beck's 3 yrs in the program and game experience are big advantages, especially in CKS's eyes. CKS does not tolerate well QB's that make "boneheaded" (CKS) plays. Growing pains lead to bad decisions. Bad decisions derail championship teams. UGA has a chance for a 3-PEAT with good QB play. Beck is the safest call.

CFB (all football really) is a QB league. Good QB play can carry team further. BUT UGA's team is so dominant defensively that CKS knows UGA can be competitive with anybody. UGA's D can carry a game manager QB to the end and see where the chips fall. As long as mistakes are kept to a minimum.

Besides the experience advantage, the QB spacing advantage is Beck's as well. The QB progression of Beck-Stockton-Raiola makes the most sense. IF BVG beats out Beck then Beck transfers and Stockton and Raiola get backed up in the QB pipeline.

Sad that the hometown kid may have to transfer to realize his CFB dreams. But that is CFB in '23.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking forward to seeing who rises to the top at QB. The coaches have proven they can get it right.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck is a good athlete and can move the chains with his legs if need be. Monken has made it clear that his job is to put points on the board. Whichever QB that can put up the most points regardless of skill set will be the starter. I love that mindset!

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

May the best quarterback win the job! I think all three quarterbacks are very good, but it's about playing your best in Spring Practice and pre - season leading into the season. Also, which quarterback has a connection with the Georgia offense. Lot of intangibles and tangibles go into making that decision. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck certainly deserves his shot. May the QB who gives the Dawgs the best chance to win become the starter. All of the ‘dudes’ in the room have talent, but all are unproven and have BIG shoes to fill! 👍

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

“BUT UGA's team is so dominant defensively that CKS knows UGA can be competitive with anybody.”

Not so this last season against OSU or LSU… and not in the most recent Natty against Bama. Those games required a good defense (lights out against Bama), but with stellar offensive play for some portion of the game (i.e., 4th quarter against OSU and Bama and first half against LSU).

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teams with superior 1st round QB's and receivers will always pose the biggest challenge to a great defense. You'd better be able to affect the QB and have some great DB's and safeties. We were thin at edge rushers against Ohio St. Fortunately not too many teams have the right amount of talent on the O-line to keep the QB clean, and the great QB, and receiver play.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Being "competitive" and being champions aren't really the same thing. And being competitive is meaning with any scholarship QB on the UGA roster. My posts tend to be long so I try to save words sometimes with inferred meaning.

Not sure UGA wouldn't have beaten LSU with any of the 4 QB's. VS OSU not sure SBIV played markedly better, for 3 Q's, than any of the other QB's on the roster would have. My point competitive and minimize mistakes.

The UGA D is usually extra good. But the O has lotsa talent too. Let the D talent AND Joe Moore OL AND RBU and AA TE AND solid WR's piggyback a great D and be "competitive". CKS knows this. There are many good O's in CFB but not many D's close to the UGA D.

And not saying Beck is a statue. He can move around a little. But he is not SBIV mobile and BVG is a full grown SBIV. Mobility/running ability is the best physical trait a QB can have after accuracy.

To everyone's point "the UGA coaches know what they are doing and will pick the best player". Yes but Beck was set up to be the most experienced and the most schooled in the O. To make the least amount of mistakes. To overcome those advantages with a good spring is really close to impossible. Maybe MAYBE by the end of the summer IF BVG or GS make HUGE strides or are just that good. Not likely or probable. Unless Beck falls on his face. Also not likely.

For the record the UGA D will be better next season than last season.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I don't know that I'd include the last Bama game in that list. The defense held them to 18 points, with their only touchdown coming on a drive that started on first and goal.

And yeah, LSU scored 30. But that was only after we went up by something like 5 touchdowns in the first half. Generally speaking, I do think it's reasonable to say that the defense itself can be counted on to keep Georgia competitive in games. Of course, having a powerful offense is nice too, and something I know we'd all like to see.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

I wish Beck well if he becomes starter, same as the other two. But taking your first snap with the score 0-0, or worse, 0-7, is light-years from what Beck accomplished last season, trotting in, up 40 points. And there’s no simulation for that kind of pressure.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck will be the "starter" but remember, at UGA if you are on the field, you are a starter so I see Vandagriff as the coming leader and he'll need to get snaps every game, albeit mop up duty. I also predict that Beck will be a Heisman favorite and put up big numbers while only playing 2-3 quarters per game. They'll be a couple of games where we'll see Stockton comme in and light up the scoreboard.