Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

4 takeaways: Texas and Oklahoma additions trigger scheduling changes, reassigned rivalries

SystemSystem Posts: 10,694 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
image4 takeaways: Texas and Oklahoma additions trigger scheduling changes, reassigned rivalries

SEC presidents and athletic directors are on the clock with the additions of Texas and Oklahoma to the league effective July 1, 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

A 6-3 schedule would actually be more fun as a fan. But choosing Georgia’s 3 is far more complicated than just top three rivals as the matrix of rivals across the SEC is diverse. Causing some teams to have 4 teams who want them. Many teams have a history of hate for their rivals Some old rivalries will fade away

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I could see Georgia's 3 annual opponents being Auburn and Florida for rivalry purposes and South Carolina or Alabama for geography. But my best guess is Auburn, Florida and Tennessee.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I’m one of those fans who wants Vandy as a permanent opponent. Not because they are weak, but because Nashville is such a fun city. Also, it’s amazingly easy to get great cheap seats due to Vandy having such a small fan base. Question for you guys: why with the 8 and 9 game models do they not have a “2” permanent opponent option? It’s either 7-1 or 6-3 and not 6-2 or 7-2. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Bubba, I was wondering about 7-2, too. Obvious for Georgia (FL & AU), for Auburn (GA & AL), and Alabama (AU & LSU), but I haven't guessed it all the way through. I suppose one question is whether some teams would get a easy schedule based on their opponents' histories (e.g. Tennessee: VA & KY) while others would get a tough one (e.g. Texas: OK & TA&M?)

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

As a season ticket holder I hope Texas and Oklahoma and the new scheduling format bring a much improved home schedule. Bring Florida to Athens too. Support the local economy in Athens instead of Jacksonville.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I’d love to be the proverbial “fly on the wall” during those SEC meetings. Can you imagine the intensity of the debates? I’m sure Auburn fans will love playing both our Dawgs and the Tide annually along with another tough opponent. Every university will be jockeying for position on these decisions for a multitude of self-serving reasons. A good example is my desire to play Vandy in Nashville every other year because of cheap seats and a crazy fun city. The only places that rival Nashville are Jacksonville and maybe Austin. As you can see, my choices are based on “my” needs and no other logic. I just don’t want to go on road trips to exciting towns like Starkville and Tuscaloosa 😉. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah the Jacksonville story will most likely be printed 17 million times from now on because of the new scheduling conflicts. It's likely to stay there. Depending on the permanent games though. Wonder if a&m and Texas will go back to being a permanent rivalry?

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The barn and the swamp, for sure. I'm teetering between SC and TN as the 3rd.

The whole concept of "assigned" rivalries, with the addition of OK and Texas seems weird to me, btw. It's sort of like with Missouri, when they joined. Can any SEC school count Mizzou as a legitimate rival? I don't know that there's enough history there to really make that claim.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For Georgia, What about... 2 permanent rivals, Aub & Fl. Play 7 randomly selected conference games in year A then play the other 7 in year B.... every two years UGA plays every SEC team. Add 1 out of conference game to be played to start the year.

10 game season with two best records playing conference championship. If UGA was ranked 1-4 Bye in the playoffs and if they won out would play a 13 game season. If ranked lower and won out they would play a 14 game season.

Drop the out of conference game and lower the games played by one.....we'd get our shot at other conferences in the playoffs.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BubbaBill

Auburn already plays Georgia and Alabama annually. The 3-6 model allows every team in the conference to play each other home and home every 4 years

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like the 6-3 and would like to see Florida, Auburn and South Carolina all neighboring border states and good programs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

No one seems to see the obvious. The whole thing stinks. When schools begin coming into the SEC that are not remotely in the Southeast, it's no longer the SEC.

"A nine-game schedule would not only provide more opportunities to vary the league schedule, but it would also add value to the SEC’s television package with ESPN..."

The television package with ESPN. There it is. It's always about the money. Money always seems to triumph over tradition. It all sucks.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is great. Hope they do a 7-1 with Aubarn as our permanent rival. That will maintain the "South's Oldest Rivalry," and, following that, we will play whoever is on the schedule.

• Options
    iamaugafaniamaugafan Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited February 2023

Would love to keep Auburn as mentioned by BeachDawg

• Options
    iamaugafaniamaugafan Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Just let us keep stomping the lizzards! I despise them! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

The geographic center of the continental US is in Lebanon, KS. Every SEC school is, and with this addition will still be, to the south and east of that point.

If you are looking at the "Old South", using the confederacy as a map, every state in the SEC was at least half foot (Kentucky and Missouri) in with the exception of Oklahoma who was still Indian Territory. Indian Territory, while not a part of the Confederacy fought along side it.

No matter what definition or map you use, Texas and Oklahoma are simply the most Southwestern parts of the Southeastern US, historically and culturally.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

No, it is not staying there unless Brooks can't get past $$$.

Kirby's complaint is about a lost recruiting weekend and simply adding another home/away SEC game to the schedule doesn't change that calculus. It would still be a lost recruiting weekend against what we would consider a premier opponent. Kirby doesn't care from a game perspective where he plays. What he cares about are recruits in the stands and he doesn't get that without moving the game.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

reassigned rivalries

You can't assign a rivalry they exists between colleges due to some historical precedent and tradition. That's why I'm a gator hater and why there is an Iron Bowl tradition in Alabama.