Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Commissioner drops hints on future league scheduling with Oklahoma and Texas joining in 2024

SystemSystem Posts: 10,507 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC Commissioner drops hints on future league scheduling with Oklahoma and Texas joining in 2024

Greg Sankey made clear nothing has been decided about future schedule models or program’s opponents, but the SEC commissioner was dropping hints.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My vote is a 9-team SEC schedule...with the Dawgs having Auburn, Florida, and TN being their permanent opponents.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know this won’t be popular but i like the 1 permanent and the rest rotate. It allows for more teams to play. Gotta be Florida as the 1 and if the 3, then it needs to be Florida, Auburn, and Vanderbilt. Since I live in Nashville, it gives me a great chance to catch an away game every 2 years. Certainly not a rivalry but I’m being selfish. Ha

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MontanaDawg That's a spicy three-game rotation -- I wonder how Tennessee and Auburn would feel about having to play Alabama AND Georgia every year?

Seems like Vanderbilt might be a popular choice for annual opponent ...

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith... hahaha... Auburn should feel privileged to get beaten senseless by Bama and the Dawgs every year! Heck, they already play those 2 teams every year. Why change perfection? Auburn-Dawgs is a lock in a permanent 3-team rotation...Deep South's oldest rivalry! Florida is a given as well but needs to be home-and-home. And IMHO, the Vols are the only wildcard...Vandy or S Carolina would be fine instead.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta be three top opponents (rivals) as MontanaDawg suggests....Auburn, FL and Tenn., annually. It seems UGA plays big game rivals more aggressively as well. Interesting to see what Sankey, et al, come up with. I like the 3-6 combo.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With the 9 game format there is a distinct possibility that an SEC team could face 5 top 20 teams before reaching the playoffs. That looks good on paper but will be hell on the team. No other conference in the nation will be even close to the level of competition that SEC teams will be faced with on a yearly basis.

For traditions sake we need Florida, Auburn, and Vandy in our yearly rotation if a nine game rotation is adopted.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Regardless of an 8 or 9 game schedule, the SEC teams would still rotate every 2 years. The only difference would be 1 or 3 annual opponents. I prefer the 9-game schedule, but 8 games would allow Georgia to keep its future Power-5 non-conference schedule. I'd hate to lose any of those games.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CHDawg54 That's what Nick Saban was saying ....

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Lol...I was thinking the same thing...but, there's no way in Hades, that's gonna fly.

Ya gotta go with the "9 game-3/6" schedule, IMO. Otherwise, there are some teams, you might not see UGA play...for many years inbetween contests.....giving each Team home field advantage at least once.

• Options

You're absolutely right. With an 8 game-1/7 model...the SEC could strengthen it's Power 5 out-of-conference schedule, and take down the competition (other P-5 Conf.) during the course of the season, rather than, in the CFP.

Leaving more SEC Teams eligible for the 12 Team CFP. I can live with that.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To be fair, other than years, UGA and Auburn isn’t that much of a rivalry. I am not really a fan of the “permanent” rivals concept. Why not set the permanents for a four year period and then reconfigure them based on the team overall records over those four years to ensure scheduling balance? No team should get a built in advantage based on location or “tradition”.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

SEC teams entering the 12 team playoff beat up after running the gauntlet of playing 9 SEC teams will be at a disadvantage when playing healthier teams that played easier schedules. The only SEC team getting a bye will be the SEC winner. More SEC teams (than 2) will make the 12 team playoff but what condition will they be in? Extra games (and tougher games) are a hindrance and byes are a big advantage.

For those of you wishing for TN, AU and FU being UGA's 3 fixed opponents, I don't see it happening. It would not be equitable to the 3 that other teams are playing. 3rd opponent looks like it will be SC not TN. AU has a pretty tough draw w/AL and UGA. But AL will drop off when Saban retires. AL cannot sustain #1 recruiting classes w/o Saban. TN/AL is fixed. Don't see AU AND TN having to play AL and UGA yearly.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Back when the SEC first went to divisions the teams were somewhat divided between top 3 and bottom 3 on each side. Hence UGA, TN, FL cross rivals were Auburn (tradition), Bama (tradition), and LSU (remaining) then the lower three on each side were paired together. I see a future 3 fixed being similar so for UGA two uppers (FL and AU) and the third being a lower level but still geographically rival (USC, Vandy, or KY) would fit. These are based on usual/historical performance not the outlier years where a lower team is unexpectantly better or good team having off years. Top teams would be UGA, Bama, FL, LSU, TN, Tex, Ok, maybe aTm.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the 12 team format, the SEC will always have at least two teams competing for a NC. In a 9 game format, the opportunity would exist to have 3-4 teams in based on strength of schedule.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

In a 8 game SEC schedule vs an 9 game SEC schedule, SEC teams can all expect to have a better record because SEC teams aren't beating SEC teams.

Doesn't record trump SoS? OSU had 1 (blowout) loss but got into the playoff over 2 (last play of the game) loss AL.

May not matter that much either way as the SEC will always have 3 or 4 (more?) teams in regardless. Again SEC teams may be more beat up when they get there playing 9 SEC games.

• Options

"Top teams would be UGA, Bama, FL, LSU, TN, Tex, Ok, maybe aTm."___

IMO...It would be a mistake to underestimate where AUB stands with respect to those teams. They might be down, right now...but, they'll be back. Just like LSU and TN bounced back.

UF isn't much better off, if any, than AUB. They've looked pretty bad, since 2020, when they had talent on the offensive side of the ball. Recruiting and coaching have been recent issues at both AUB and UF...but, that'll change, in time. Both schools have a couple of "dumptruck loads" of money, to throw at the problem. And, everybody knows...when money talks...losing walks.

Except in College Station, TX. Lol