Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterbacks Jake Fromm and D.J. Shockley share thoughts on Stetson Bennett

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgOnTheBeach Thanks for the feedback, but I have not written anything about what Jake and D.J. have said about wanting Stetson to get back on track before this article.

I most always take the time to read comments as interaction has played a key role over the course of my 32 years as a journalist, including the last five years covering UGA football.

It's been great to have the opportunities to cover different programs, teams and Hall of Fame coaches (I think Kirby certainly qualifies!) along with living different places with my family and now as an empty nester.

Have a great Super Bowl Sunday, and thanks again for taking the time to read my work and write back!

• Options

@truthteller I agree, I expect the best from Stetson if he attends the NFL Combine. That will give him a chance to be judged on his own merit and I think some will be surprised by how fast he runs (I'm guessing mid 4.4s) and his athleticism in the drill work.

• Options

@OldDawg77 Stet's yardage was a school record, quite a campaign for the Bulldogs!

Will the next UGA quarterback hit 4,000 yards? Will we see more than one starter in 2023?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I sure wish we could see who votes down comments, for the same misguided miscreants did so on every comment supporting Bennett (two or three each time), while wondering what beef Griffith has against him. All I know is Bennett won two National Championships while here, and he is now gone. So, Mike, give it a rest. You are not endearing yourself to the UGA fanbase - at all. I wonder why votes down are hidden? Might not it allow MG (and others at DawgNation) to anonymously vote down those at odds with whomever writes any given article?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith ... Good article Mike.

While it didn't shed any further light on Bennett....it DID tell me a great deal about Fromm and Shockley, that I find interesting. Lol

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't blame Stet for finally saying what has probably been on his mind for months and months. Obviously, no matter what he said previously about ignoring social media and the media in general, all the doubts and comments over the last couple of years had an affect on him. However, he has handled the situation poorly considering what he's trying to do next. His comments were misguided and poorly timed.

I say he goes no sooner than the 5th Round in the draft...same as Fromm.

• Options

@BgDawg61 Yes, Jake and D.J. are both very important parts of Georgia football history and ambassadors and leaders for the University of Georgia. Their opinions are certainly valid, and both are behind Stetson 100 percent.

It's an ongoing story with the NFL combine and draft fast approaching, and many remain engaged in the the historical journey we have watched the past two seasons of the Bulldogs and of course their quarterback.

I expect Stetson will do really well at the NFL combine, as he likes to compete and this is an event he may open up some eyes with his speed and great quickness.

I also think he will throw the ball much better than some expect -- he improved his footwork and accuracy greatly between his junior and senior seasons, and he has experience operating an NFL-style offense that many others do not.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Funny you would say this because I had 6 up arrows on my post and no down arrows. Suddenly, in an hour period of time I had 4 down votes. I noticed this same phenomenon occurred with other posters who coincidentally had similar viewpoints. Hmmm 🤔

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@MikeGriffith

I agree. Bennett is light years from where he was, in 2019 & 2020. I give Monkin most of the credit for that leap.

Frankly, that's why I was kind of surprised, when Manning chose Texas. Manning might not be as good...or, as mobile, as everybody seems to think. Or...maybe he just didn't want to devote the "development/ adjustment" time and energy, Smart and Monkin require from the "QB Room". Lol...Like the Marines...UGA's not for everybody.

That says something. I believe Bennett is as ready for the NFL, right now, as he'll EVER be. He needed to withdraw from "the fishbowl", to regroup and recharge. No telling how long it will be, before he gets another opportunity to do that.

I was a little surprised at some of the things Fromm and Shockley had to say..."publicly", considering the public support, that former players had afforded them, when they played. It just didn't sound very supportive, to me.

Kind of like a sideways compliment that's not really designed to be complimentary. Lol

If the article had included several positive remarks from the pair...maybe the inference would be different.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I truly believe MG has a bunch of sock accounts and he downvotes those critical of him. I noticed earlier, that all of a sudden my comment had three downvotes in a span of about a minute. Yet nobody made any comment supporting MG but MG himself. I can't be sure but I know MG is a hack and petty...so there is that.

• Options

I truly believe MG has a bunch of sock accounts and he downvotes those critical of him. 

• Options

"the course of my 32 years as a journalist, including the last five years covering UGA football"

You've been covering UGA football for five years??? Gee, that's five years too many. I hear GT has an opening for a biased beat writer. You'd do better covering Tech exclusively. You'd still be biased and petty but over there they are so beat down they won't care or even notice.

• Options

Awesome comment. Right over the target and a direct hit. MG's response was that of a man in denial.