Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart makes official statement on hiring Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator

SystemSystem Posts: 10,488 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart makes official statement on hiring Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator

Georgia made its hire of offensive coordinator Mike Bobo official on Tuesday, as the former Georgia quarterback will replace Todd Monken.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GREAT quick coverage on this from Conner, BA and MG to get this Tuesday off to an interesting start! I appreciate DAWGNATION!

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Last time with Bobo, we threw a RB screen at least every other play. I just hope he has expanded his playbook since then.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good choice, quick, move on! Be interested to see if we stick with Monken offense which our QBs and others have been running in practice for 2 years…. Or switch to Bono’s offense.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Bobo ran an unimaginative offense under Mark Richt. If the game was close, it was three up the middle and punt. How many games did Georgia lose because of him? Part of the reason Georgia underachieved during the Richt years was Bobo.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken’s genius was he adjusted his offense to maximize the potential of the players he had to work with especially at quarterback. Daniels was on pace to be a record setter with Monken’s offense until he got hurt. Then, Stets took over, ran an offense Monken designed to maximize his potential, then became a record settler in his own right.

I have no doubt Bobo used his time as understudy to Monken to learn and incorporate new ideas into his already vast knowledge of offensive football. Kirby is about winning championships. I trust this decision!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

Meh. Personally I hope that Bobo goes back to his 2012 offense that came one play - on defense not offense - from winning the SEC title against Bama, which naturally would have meant the national title against hapless Notre Dame. With the OL, the stable of RBs and Brock Bowers at TE, UGA can go back to an actual pro-style offense with a dominant running game, play action and vertical passing. No one else in a college game that has gone all mad with RPO and spread is doing this. That would give UGA an advantage as they would be running an old school power offense against all of these 3-3-5 defenses that are constructed to stop spread offenses that dink-and-dunk their way downfield and rely on RAC instead of mauling people and then throwing it over the top.

Beck throwing it deep to Bowers to force the safeties out of the box, which would open a clear path for Milton and Edwards to run right past these undersized 3 man fronts, is something that UGA could use to both score a lot of points fast AND sustain long drives that take a lot of time off the clock. Would be a good use of the "suddenly deep but still mostly complementary" situation that UGA has at WR right now (would work because Bowers would be the "#1 WR"). It would also allow UGA to get back to recruiting the elite RBs that they've missed the past 2 years (because Monken's system doesn't use feature backs) and the elite WRs that they've basically never gotten under the Smart era (to be fair, they didn't often sign them under Richt either for reasons).

As Monken - who I repeat had no ties to UGA, Georgia or the southeast - was inevitably going to leave, I don't see a downside here. Meanwhile even if UGA wins 2 or 3 titles with Bobo, he is going to stay for quite awhile because he has failed more than a few times elsehwere (HC at Colorado State, OC at Auburn and South Carolina) that no other school is going to hire him. Muschamp? Same. Failed at South Carolina and Florida so DC at UGA is going to be the best gig that he is ever going to get for a long time.

• Options
    keetl21keetl21 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am with you totally on this one StH. This is not the Bobo of yesteryear. Kirby feels he has evolved especially under Monken..I am good with that.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have no problem with Bobo as a person, family man or as a DGD. I do have a problem with him as an offensive coach and as a friend of Kirby Smart. Few persons are as creative as TM. I think he has very few equals. I also has the courage to take INTELLIGENT risks at the right time. MB is not anywhere near in the same universe. I have to prepare for the predictable for the offense next year. Like many I predicted this but I am surprised CKS is not even bothering to conduct at least a wider search for a new OC.

I hope I am wrong

GO Dawgs!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It'll be interesting to see how Monken's departure affects recruitment -- particularly Duce Robinson, Raiola and some of the high-ranking WRs that we're targeting.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo's previous "failure" at UGA (41.3 vs 41.1?) was accomplished with inferior players especially on the OL. UGA NEVER was able to recruit top OL when Richt was coach.

My only concern about Bobo is recruiting. Obviously Bobo is a better recruiter than Monken. BUT is Bobo's O a better recruiting tool than Monken's O? HS players like Raiola may now take a wait and see approach to committing to UGA.

OR recruits may prejudge (imagine that?) that the new UGA O won't cut it and decide to commit elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Overall the UGA program has been greatly elevated in the eyes of recruits during the CKS era.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I really appreciate all that Coach Monken did for our Dawgs, and I wish him and his family the very best. Bring on the Bobo Show !! I trust Kirby Smart. Friendship not withstanding I don’t think Kirby would have hired Mike Bobo if he didn’t think he could do the job. Bobo has much more experience now vs the very young OC he was at UGA before. After he left UGA he never had nearly as close talented players to work with. Bobo is ALL Dawg to !! I don’t have to repeat all his roots and connections to UGA, Yall already know all of that. But just Think of this won’t it be Ultra Exciting to 3peat the Natty with Three Dawgs as the principal Coaches ??!!?? Kirby S., Will M., Mike B. !! All three having played at UGA. Two with their sons as players at UGA. I think it’d be cool as cucumbers to win a Third Natty in a row with Three Dawgs coaching !! Go Dawgs !! Sic Em !! Let’s bring the shiny stuff back to Athens for the third year in a row !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I’m extremely confident, to the upmost, that Kirby hired Bobo because he believes he can do the job. We’ve all seen Kirby’s demeanor on the sidelines. This Man has a Powerful desire to win, and friends or not, if your on his staff you better be able to produce !! Unless I’m way off the mark but I don’t think I am ( Yall have to !!) I’ve seen him chew on Muschamp a few times on busted Defense plays. And usually right after that in the next couple of plays our D would cause a fumble or get an INT or make a big stop. My point is that though Yes he and Will and Mike are very good friends, it’s ALL business comes game time. Kirby has a knack, a gift really, for being able to measure people’s capabilities. And I don’t think that applies to Just the players. So to those who are upset or worried about his hiring Bobo, two things 1) Kirby has got us this far, trust him to make the right decisions to continue success. 2) I honestly don’t think this much more experienced and seasoned version of Mike Bobo is much like the very young version that was at UGA previously. And Even that young version wasn’t That bad when you go back and look at his whole body of work. Lastly this will be the Most high quality talent that Mike Bobo has Ever had at his disposal as a OC !! I Believe he will do well.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How time heals all wounds and distorts the past. Everyone who is honest and knows UGA football can remember practically every Saturday, people all across Dawgnation were shaking their heads on a drive or two or in critical situations and wondering what was he(Bobo) thinking. That's a fact.

HIs record in SEC championship games 0-2. Averaging 19 points per game. Hard to win scoring 19.

What about against the Ole Ball Coach? 3W-5L. averaging 20 points per game in those 5 losses. Just couldn't unravel those defenses.

"Well we had crappy players, he''ll do better with our now better players", -revisionist history. During his tenure we averaged 8th in the nation in recruiting. South Carolina averaged ranking during the same time was 21st in the nation.

He averaged 30 points per game in his Bowl games with a 5-3 record. Beating up on the Hawaii's of the world and Texas A&M's .However in the 3 Bowl losses we averaged 18 points per game. Hardly anything to write home to momma about, and I'd betcha those teams we lost to didn't have our recruiting rankings.

THen there was the time we had BAMA on the ropes and didn't spike the ball, to take two shots at the endzone. THat one still hurts.

I will support the decision, and I hope he has improved, HIs last 3 jobs haven't ended well. People on here offering myriad excuses for it. I'm sure he's a nice guy, probaly a nicer guy than Monken, but I thought we got rid of Richt because he was too nice and not a hard patoot(like CKS.)

THe only thing about hiring your best friends is giving them too much lee way when they don't perform like you want them to. I can't imagine having to fire close friends and uproot their families. Hope it never comes to that, seriously.

I could see CKS extending another year to Bobo to turn things around that he wouldn't give to someone he's not emotionally attached to. Again, hope that never happens.

As far as running Monken's offense, most pundits I have listened to today don't believe that will be the case. He wasn't hired to run Monkens offense. Plus you can have all the same plays but the magic is in knowing what the defense is doing what you're trying to get them to do and then dialing up the right play at the precise moment.

Unless Monken left his brain for Bobo to use, that ain't happening.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Not sure about this hire. I never liked Bobo that much and always questioned his play calling years ago when he was leading the Dawg's offense. He frustrated the heck out of me at times.

Only hope Bobo learned a few things from Monken...nothing to do about it but wait and see.

Maybe Todd will leave his playbook and "what-to-do-if-this-happens" answer sheets for Bobo to follow!!

Transfer portal may get active for some folks come May 1st...

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Todd Monken needed UGA just as much as UGA needed him. It's not like teams in the NFL were lined up to hire him after getting fired in Cleveland. Bruce Arians chose not to hire him after Jameis Winston threw for 5,000 yards with Monken as OC in Tampa. My point is Monken improved and maybe Bobo has too.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Smart didn’t replace Todd Monken with Mike Bobo, Todd Monken left for the NFL and Coach Smart replaced the vacancy that was left by Monken’s departure with Mike Bobo. Todd Monken is no longer available to be the OC at UGA; if he was he would still hold that position. I’m convinced (as is all of DawgNation) that Smart brought Bobo in specifically for this purpose, just as he did with Muschamp for the Dan Lanning departure. With that being the case, the UGA coaching staff is working a plan that was born for this very moment. Coach Smart is not a fool who was caught by surprise and made a mid-panic decision that he will live to regret. Coach Smart is not going to compromise the offensive production of this team in favor of his friendship with Bobo. Coach Smart has forgotten more about coaching talent than what you and I know combined. Its probably true that Mike Bobo is no Todd Monken, but Todd Monken is no longer available.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were many times over the last 2 seasons when I scratched my head (or shook it) at some of the Monken play calls. Now granted some of them could have been plays SBIV changed at the line. Remember the 3 and out before the half (what game was that?!) when SBIV changed the play to pass and then incomplete?

The point is remember the dive runs up the middle time after time after time when they weren't working? I know CKS/CTM kept SBIV on a short leash but like Donnan said, "except for AL (SECCG) and OSU, UGA was always the better team". Implying UGA shoulda won all those games with the talent on hand.

With UGA's O back next season , UGA will be fine.