Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken forever reset the offensive standard for Kirby Smart, Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken forever reset the offensive standard for Kirby Smart, Georgia football

Todd Monken’s time at Georgia has come to an end. He leaves behind a new standard of offensive play.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo has his work cut out for him following the Monken legacy. We'll see. I truly hope he is as imaginative and creative. He did learn under Monken, from Todd's own lips. That is encouraging. Mike has a lot of experience both sides of the ball....Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" [In 2022] ....Bobo, working as analyst, helped in play design."

This statement by Coach Monken should be all that needs to be said about the type of offense that Coach Bobo will bring to the fray!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm hoping Mike has Todd on speed dial.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I think I can safely say for all Dawgs fans We Do appreciate all that Coach Monken did for UGA and our beloved Dawgs !! We Do wish him and his family the very best !! Now we congratulate Coach Bobo and wish him the upmost in success. And glad to have him and his family back in Athens !! Three is the Golden Number !! Three National Titles back to back !! Coached in a Large part by Three Dawgs that have All played at and now coached at UGA !! I can’t wait for G Day to get here to get things rolling !! Goooo Dawgs !!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now I know the defense is just as important as the offense...and in fact, it was the defense that rose up and really did most of the heavy lifting for the National Championship in 2021. However, you've got to have both sides of the ball working like a well-oiled machine to bring home a Championship. Just look at the likes of Lincoln Riley. The guy can develop QBs as good as anyone, and while at Oklahoma he had Mayfield and others tearing up opponents right and left. However, Riley is never going to bring home a Championship at any school (even USC) until he learns how to develop a Championship defense. He still has not learned anything. But, I digress...

I want every fan to sit back and think about this...

Instead of the Dawgs being the underdog and fans for years just rolling their eyes knowing we probably will lose our next big game against a big opponent, with Monken and Kirby we have now completely flipped the script as noted in the article. We are now EXPECTED to win those big games. How cool is that?

Top teams that we have beaten since Monken came aboard in 2020:

Alabama, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Tennessee, and Cincinnati.

I'd say that is a pretty impressive list in a short amount of time. The biggest pressure that Bobo will have is continuing to win those BIG games. He's setup well in '23 with a pretty easy schedule to try out his chops. It will be interesting to see what kind of differentiating mark he makes on the offense and whether or not it works.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

Thanks to CTM! Forever thankful for his expertise. I am excited about Coach Bobo being the new OC. These are the Glory Years of Georgia Football. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike Bobo has big shoes to fill, but he has, in my humble opinion, learned from the very best. Monken showed us how to develop an offense that not only employs the talents of the best players on the team, but also uses lineups and formations to upset defensive schemes. Our offense ran a very good team, TCU, off the field, and I look forward to seeing what's in store when really good quarterback who can pass as well as he can run on the field.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

And now “First and ****” is back to remind us how he is and never will be a top notch Offensive Coordinator.

Down vote or try and bully all you want, but mark my words: Kirby Smart would NEVER have made this hire/promotion if he wasn’t coming off of back to back championships.

Bobo is a train wreck and he will have his name, image, and likeness held to the fire every single week from August thru December.

As soon as we start seeing that “first and ****” nonsense and him trying to be cute and too “smart” for his own good, he will hear about it. And I know for a FACT that I am not the only one who will be vocal about it.

It doesn’t have anything whatsoever to do with Bennet and how he was portrayed or treated, this is an entire different monster with Bobo.

SB had a relatively small window to prove himself as the starter from day one.

Mike Bobo is a proven detriment over years and years. And throwing out ppg stats and all that nonsense from past years tells me that his defenders don’t have anything of substance to make a rational argument for Bobo.

What matters in Athens now?

RINGS, that’s what.

What did Mark Richt with Bobo, his protege, by his side say about rings?

Ya’ll know what he said.

How many rings does Bobo have as a QB coach, Offensive coordinator, at 3 SEC schools in 10+ years and as a head coach at CSU?

How many appearances does he have as a coordinator in playoff games?

Ya’ll know the answer to that.

So please spare me the “Oh, he’s gonna be great” stuff. He has NEVER been great, ever, as an OC.

So spare me with the rainbows and unicorns fantasy stuff.

We are GEORGIA, back to back NCAA Football CHAMPIONS. Those players and we fans deserve better than MIKE “first and ****” BOBO.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you, Coach Todd Monken, for the 3 years of your time here and thank you for giving UGA your very best. GOD bless you and your family in Baltimore. Let's get ready for the 3peat. Sic'em Dawgz.😎

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, there's certainly a breath of perspectives here. Here's another one, which includes some interesting stats on UGA's offense during and after Bobo's last tenure here

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-georgia-elevating-mike-bobo-to-offensive-coordinator-will-have-dawgs-primed-to-remain-in-cfp-contention/

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Great article by Barrett Salee! Thanks for posting!

Salee states as his opening premise:

Georgia's coaching staff underwent an important offseason change, all of which unfolded within a 20-minute span. First, offensive coordinator Todd Monken was announced as the new OC for the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday. He was quickly replaced, however, by Bulldogs offensive analyst Mike Bobo,”

The importance of this event cannot be overstated:

Guys and girls, Coach Kirby plans for all contingencies!!

Whether or not Coach Bobo will be a success in his second tenure here will play itself out…..hopefully, he will be!

But, more importantly, Coach Kirby did not go through the embarrassment of the hiring process that played out in Alabama . He did not interview coaches, have them decline an offer and then settle for what was left over….. all in front of the national media.

Right or wrong, Coach Kirby was ready for the possibility of Coach Monken moving on…..he had his replacement already on staff for a year! Recruits were not left wondering…!

Coach Kirby has proven once again that he knows how to manage a big time college football program…unlike that faltering one to the west of here. It seems that the Kirby machine continues to roll on! How very impressive!

In Coach Kirby we trust! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

The key to next year being an extremely potent offense like last is season is not the play calling, or the talent level on the field, or how much oversight Kirby will place over Bobo. It's how well Bobo teaches the QB, whoever it may be, to run the offense. When Beck or BVG came into a game last year did they manage the play to the level of SB or did they just run the play as called. We heard over and over throughout the year how SB would read the defense, set the line blocking along with SVP, put the skill players in the right place, and execute the play using all options available. Sometimes he made an error in decision (McConkey screen pass) or zeroed in on one target, but he usually was in tune to the situation to put the offense in the proper position for the need at the time. Just about every single offensive play next year the Dawgs will have 5-6 options to go to, each one being a significant threat. There are practically no defenses out there that can cover everyone with equal talent. So, Bobo's main job then is to teach the new QB to see the set-up and pull the trigger to the one or two openings where we have the distinct advantage. Is it a safety trying to cover Arian Smith, ala OSU, or possibly a linebacker trying to cover Bowers. Maybe, the defensive front set has shifted strength to favor one side over the other, so will the QB see it and change the direction of the run to hit the weak side, ala Fromm to Chubb against OU in Rose Bowl. The general scheme will not change: dominate LOS, establish a run to open up passing game, or maybe establish the pass to get defense off LOS.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Kirby has proven many wrong. Many said the days of defense winning championships were over.

Even Nick Saban had went away from the type of offenses that he had in the past, trending towards a more wide-open offense, that sometimes didn't compliment his defense.

Monken was exceptional at running the Dawgs offense but saying that Bobo has an almost impossible task with replacing Monken seems like a stretch. Bobo's last UGA offense averaged 41 PPG and with less talent than he has now. Moreover, with the rule changes that now favor the offense over the defense, I see no reason why Bobo can't keep the 40 PPG standard.

Bobo's success won't be dependent on how many points his offense scores, as much as how well the offense compliments the defense. Complimentary football has been the key to Kirby's success. That's what Bobo needs to get right.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For you naysayers…. Give me a name of someone who would be a better choice for the job than BoBo. Think about all aspects of filling the position, past experience, past performance, fit for the program, recruiting background, difficulty of transition …. BoBo averaged basically same ppg his last 3 years at Uga as Monken in his 3. And our D gave up 2-3 X the points during Bobo's last 3. BoBo was also a Broyles finalist. His performances got him head coach looks . Again, think about it and tell us who is a better choice than MB? We’ll look forward to your expert opinions.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GEEEEZZEE Man, it must **** to live in your world where you never get better than your worst! I would suggest you get to know Mike Bobo as a person/coach before you cast dispersions. I'll help you by telling you that Bobo is a very smart individual. He's made some mistakes and wrong turns....who hasn't in their careers? He has experienced success along side a master OC and he was raised in a coaching family. He knows how to get the best from talent especially QB's. This will be a year of epiphany for you sir.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@GtheGreek

First, it’s aspersions, not dispersions.

Second, why do I have to “know Bobo as a person”?

I gave my opinion, and that is that.

You disagree? Good on you.

My opinion is based on his team’s past performances and decision making while under his direction in an entertainment and sports industry that is college football. I am not pointing out his “mistakes” any more than the thousands of articles titled by various sports content writers posted after embarrassing losses while he was the OC and his team was favored by 10 or more points and the offense underperformed which resulted in a team loss.

I am not looking for qualities in him that I would at my church’s adult Bible study class or my kids peewee football team.

I am looking and speaking about winning qualities in a coach that has a proven track record of success in the toughest conference in college football.

You and other talk about Bobo’s numbers during 1 year that they were high at UGA: so what? Did they win the SEC East that year? How about the SEC?

Bobby Petrino has been a QB coach and offensive coordinator for decades, and his numbers run circles around Bobo’s numbers! But would you suggest hiring Petrino and using his numbers in the past as an OC to justify it like you do with Bobo?!

Of course NOT!

Because he hasn’t had any success in winning any rings or conference championships!

I am not casting any aspersions at Mike Bobo. I could care less about his values as a family man, how he raises his herd of kids, blah blah blah. That has nothing to do with the meat and potatoes of being a solid offensive coordinator with a track record of solid positive results and contending for a championship every single year.

Mike Bobo is a bad hire, IMO.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@Kudzu

I appreciate you posting the article by Barrett Salee.

That article he wrote doesn’t mention or highlight one single glaring mistake or game plan deficiency where Bobo’s adjustments or lack thereof cost his team a game because his well-known stubbornness trait that anyone who watched his offenses for 8+ seasons could easily tell you about.

IOW it is a clear puff piece that even mentions “But he has a reputation; he's not highly thought-of by the fans”. That is the only statement he makes but he doesn’t give examples of WHY Georgia fans do not think highly of him. Then Sallee goes on to puff away and throw out names like “Aaron Murray” and “continuity” as if that is supposed to convince a Georgia fan that has more knowledge about SEC football than a 6 year old that Mike Bobo really isn’t as bad as “those pesky Georgia fans” state openly that he is.

this is the same Barrett Sallee that was the ONLY cbs writer to predict OSU defeating Georgia both ATS and SU, along with some other tidbits he added in:

So, with that posted, I would venture to say that his article and opinion on the Bobo promotion to OC has about as much worth as a COVID shot does for a 20 year old tri-athlete in 2023.

Thats where I am at.