Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN sets floor and ceiling for 2023 Georgia football team

SystemSystem Posts: 10,652 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageESPN sets floor and ceiling for 2023 Georgia football team

While no one is predicting Georgia to go 7-5 or 6-6, ESPN’s Bill Connelly does see a world where Georgia suffers a few setbacks in 2023.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 261 ✭✭✭ Junior

Back to back undefeated seasons defies the odds. However, these Dawgs and this schedule do present the opportunity. I can't see three losses unless the wheels somehow fall off and the upcoming team lacks the focus and desire to compete at the standard set in recent years. South Carolina appears to be improving, but we catch them at home. Florida is not a threat and we have the good fortune to play Tennessee late in the year, giving our new QB time to develop.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The Bulldogs will have 14 starters from the national championship game back for the 2023 season, including potential All-American candidates Bowers, Sedrick Van Pran, Mykel Williams, Jamon Dumas-Johnson, Smael Mondon and Malaki Starks."

There. FIFY, @Kconnorriley!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Playing at Tennessee may be a tougher draw than any regular season game in 2022. I don't see how we could lose three games with the personnel we have, particularly on defense. But a loss to Tennessee could kick us out of the SEC championship, as well as the playoffs.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Until you beat the man, you are the not man." I believe the Dawgs will be ready to GATA in 2023. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

I would love another 12-0 season. But if we start playing what ifs. And only look at the negative side of the ball, there are 6 games that could- if things go bad - be an issue. But the odds of GT, UK, TENN, Aub, SC, and Ole Miss being a struggle are very slim. But they all will be looking to knock off the champs.

Just win the final opportunity to be SEC East Champions. Then tackle the post season.

please notice I did NOT include Florida

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After watching Travis Kelcie, I believe Darnell Washington will go in the first round also. And, Darnell has slightly better blocking technique than Mr. Kelcie.

• Options
    ugaacct02ugaacct02 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

So what were the 3 games if we went 9-3?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

You couldn't ask for a better schedule to break in a new OC and a new QB. I mean seriously.

I'd say the silver platter has been served. Now let's blow the competition off the map!

9-3? No way unless Bobo totally goes off the rails...With the talent we have I can't see anything less than 11-1.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we still make the playoffs with a loss on the road to Tennessee, but throw in a 2nd loss and it’s all over but the crying. Just ask the 2 loss Bama and Vol teams last season. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

"Good news is Bobo is already on staff and familiar with UGA's extensive playbook...some of which he will have a direct hand in this go round."____

According to Monkin...Bobo designed a number of plays last year and was in charge of the "Red Zone" offense. You can call him whatever you want...but, Bobo was, for all intents and purposes, an assistant OC, last year.

He knows what he's doing and he's been working with all of the QBs since he arrived last year. You don't hire a guy with Bobo's experience and have him sit in his office all day, watching film and doodling plays on a white board. Lol. Monkin used Bobo as a sounding board.

Look at the added offensive explosiveness between '21 and '22. You can thank Bobo and McClendon for that. Despite what many hype artists in the media would have you believe...the OC at UGA doesn't operate in a vacuum or "cone of silence". Lol. It's a collaborative effort.

In fact, Bobo recruited Gunner Stockton to SC, before Muschamp was fired. Gunner flipped to UGA after Carolina's coaching change and 3 yrs later they're working together @ UGA. The Dawgs are in very good hands. Maybe BETTER than Monkin.

I forget who said it, but..."Bobo isn't gonna be running "Monkin's offense", or "Bobo's offense"...he's gonna be running UGA's offense". Which is how Kirby designed his program. Each coordinator can add their own wrinkles...but, for the most part...we already saw most of 2023's playbook, in '20, '21 & '22.

As one of my former Coaches once said..."You can know what's coming...but, are you man enough to stop it?". Lol...I don't believe there's a team out there, that can shut the Dawgs down for 4 whole quarters, or move the ball on em consistently. OSU gave it their best shot, last year. Close...but, no cigar. Lol

IMO...The only coaching downgrade I've seen on offense, in the last few years, was the OL Coach. Luke had the O-line humming before he left. I wasn't all that impressed with O-line play, last year. They should have been much more dominant than they were (in the running game).

I'm a realist, and believe in the "law of averages". That being said...i believe UGA's chances of 3-peating in 2023 are much better than anyone that attempted it in the past. For three...no...four reasons....

1. UGA doesn't have to depend as heavily on "luck & polling" as the previous teams. We have a playoff (CFP). Means they can lose one game and still get a shot.

2. UGA is returning as much talent and experience, this year, as they had in '21 & '22.

3. A presumably weak '23 regular season schedule.

4. The "UGA Standard" prevails. Leadership, talent, experience, coaching, conditioning, commitment, talent, leadership.

Can't say it enough. That's probably the biggest lesson Kirby learned at BAMA. NOT Saban, necessarily...but, the experience of attempting a 3-peat...and why it failed. UGA is in a lot better position with all the prerequisites, than BAMA was, at the time.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone is giving Monken a pass. I'm not that forgiving. I hope he falls flat on his face in Baltimore. Ravens 0-16 next year.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...he probably will. That move doesn't make sense to me, at all. But, if he takes Bennett in the 3rd round or higher, of the NFL Draft... then, we'll know, there was a bigger plan in place, when he turned everybody down, last year. He wanted one more year tutoring Bennett, cause he believes Bennett has "The Right Stuff"...and was worth the risk.

Go to work Big Red. Bring home another set of trophies for the Family. Lol

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great analysis! I agree, it was a "collaborative effort" and the offensive playbook won't change. But remember, once the game started, Monken called the plays. He had some great "gut" calls. Can Bobo do the same? I hope so. I'm sure he learned a lot from Monken.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't share your feelings CHDawg, as I know he'll do his best but I must agree it is a REAL possibility....with no secured QB in Lamar Jackson and an O-line that is at best IFFY.....not to mention a mediocre D. Monken's move is a real head scratcher. Calling plays for the Ravens will be like playing a high steaks Poker game and you're using card from a Go Fish deck.....but i wish him well!