Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart makes another big bet on Georgia football culture in Mike Bobo hire

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart makes another big bet on Georgia football culture in Mike Bobo hire

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"... even Ladd McConkey..."? C'mon man!

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saw a post that 10 of 14 SEC schools will have new OCs in 2023. If you have a good one, you won't keep them very long. Confident that Bobo can get the job done with UGA's talent and agree with Connor that if he doesn't, Kirby won't hesitate to make a change.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo is an interesting and somewhat surprising (to me) hire, but I tend to trust Kirby.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm no expert, but did Monken have a world beater rep when he came to the Dawgs? And past performance-wise, Muschamp didn't have the record. M'rite? Like JuimWallace, I trust Kirby.

• Options
    DawgfromILMDawgfromILM Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

Are we looking forward to more halfback draws on 3rd and long, again? That was the Richt-Bobo go to call.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good or bad, OC's don't hang around for very long...My guess is that Bobo will maintain the 40 plus point standard so I'm not to concerned he'd be directed back to analyst status or retiring. The good news is that he's been around the coaching block, and came back to Athens "well healed financially". He knows the coaching carousel and that it takes a steady flow of talent/development to stay off. He and his family are comfortable in the Classic City so IMHO Bobo will be a permanent as you can get in an OC.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Life is good until it ain't."......Bobo will be as good as his record as an OC. Monken was under the same pressure. Kirby must hire winners. That said, I believe this was far more than a good old Georgia boys club promotion. Culture is a high percentage of the amalgam at UGA now. Thus Kirby's oft-used term of "buying in" to the program and culture at UGA by staff and players. Mike Bobo is all in. Monken found a job at UGA, Mike Bobo finds a home, if you will. However, the results must be the same....WIN. Kirby is building a winning culture at UGA...and doing an excellent job at it.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This might not be much of a factor, but in my view it Is a factor. When it comes to something serious no father wants to be embarrassed in front of his son. So Im confident that effort sure won’t be a problem on the part of Mike Bobo. Even Coaches can spend More time or Less time studying film, working on plays etc. etc. Some Coaches might put in a Little over what’s Required of them to make a decent impression on the HC. But Some might put in Allot of extra time to be a Champion. Mike Bobo knows the culture Now at UGA, he has so many connections to UGA, lastly his Son is a player at UGA. I envision Mike giving every bit of himself to help our Dawgs win. ONLY Time will tell if this was a good hire. But I Trust Kirby. And I at a minimum Trust Mike Bobo to give his Very Best to help the Dawgs win The Red & Black is a central part of Mike Bono’s football DNA, I doubt there are any fans that will Want to win anymore than him. So it all boils down to Can He ? Until we lose a game as a Clear Result of Mike Bono’s play calling Only, Im gonna trust and support him.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach has been expecting & planning for this. He brought both Muschamp & Bobo in as analyst giving them both time to observe, expand their knowledge & to prepare for the inevitable departures of Lanning & Monken. The culture may be the key but don’t ignore the importance of having a coach with vision and who is not afraid of & has the willingness to embrace change. Right now Coach Smart is a step or two ahead of the curve. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For naysayers…. Give me a name of someone who would be a better choice for the job than Bobo. Think about all aspects of filling the position; past experience, past performance, fit for the program, recruiting background, difficulty of transition, knowing the UGA systems and program, dedication to Ga and the University …. Bobo averaged basically same or slightly more ppg his last 3 years at Uga as Monken in his 3. And our D gave up 2-3 X the points during Bobo's last 3. Bobo was also a Broyles finalist. His performances got him head coach looks . Again, think about it and tell us who is a better choice than MB? We’ll look forward to your expert opinions. I cant think of a better choice

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

Mike Bobo has no imagination. I can recall under Mark Richt that anytime the game was on the line, with Georgia close or holding a slight lead, his go-to mindset was run three up the middle and punt. One of the main reasons Georgia lost most of the important games was because of Bobo's play calling. He may fit into the Dawg "family" and all that rot, but it's not about that, it's about winning. Mark Richt was a beloved coach, etc., etc., ad nauseam, but he lost most of the important games. Mike Bobo is cut from the same cloth. Will Georgia have to have a crap season in order for this to become obvious?

It's not about how many of Bobo coached offenses scored lots of points. It's about how many of the big games did Georgia win with his offensive lack of imagination. The answer is not many.

• Options
  • Options
    HondaDawgHondaDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

There is a reason the term " 3rd and Bobo" existed.

It would be good if someone could compare 3rd down efficiencies for Bobo and Monken to put some context to this term.

Keep it to conference games if you will.

For me, Bobo was too predictable and did not adjust to the talent.

He ran the same 4 plays

1. Delayed hand off up the middle ( my #1 most hated play )
    2. Screen pass to RB on third down ( almost always snuffed out)
    3. play action bomb (often over or under thrown)
    4. draw play

In addition, he seldom threw to the TE much less split them out wide.

what say you?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Yep. I agree. Dawgs will be winning the 3peat while other schools are “breaking in” new coordinators. And as has been said repeatedly Bobo has Never had even vaguely close to this level of talent to work with. And some folks refuse to let go of the image of Bobo from Nine years ago, as if he’s been locked in a time warp. By that same logic Will Muschamp shouldn’t have been hired either ! But we’ve seen and read many times that Muschamp Has contributed in a very positive way to the program. The naysayers also seem to deliberately ignore where Monken himself said that Bobo helped draw up many of the plays in particular Red Zone plays where many teams struggle Offensively. No, no one, even Kirby can guarantee success, but the Same thing can be said of a “New” OC coming from some where else. Plus a new OC from some where else would have to assimilate into the UGA culture, warm up to people in recruiting etc. Perhaps that was a part of the some what slow start for Monken in 2020 ? Bobo has already been here a year as an analyst. He certainly knows the UGA culture. He’s a familiar person in UGA circles. And is already well acquainted with the recruiting trail. Like I said in another post until it is Clearly shown by our Dawgs losing a game that it was predominately Bobo’s play calling at fault I’m gonna support him. NO Coach is perfect. Bobo might call some bad plays along and along ( even Monken’s plays didn’t work every single snap of the ball !!) but as long as there are significantly more good plays called than bad ones I’m good with him. And with the level of talent we have even some of the bad play calls could be turned into good by shear talent. I Believe we will be fine until I See clearly that he’s causing us not to be. Lastly if there had been someone that Kirby felt was clearly better, readily available, and fit the program, I believe Kirby would have put the program first and went with that person, his friendship with Bobo aside. Nobody wants to win more than Kirby !! So if he trusts Bobo then so do I.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know, I used to bash Bobo while he was here before. Always felt he was predictable on some plays. After his departure and reflecting on the stats alone, I admit I was surprised how many points we were averaging per game. I think he has grown and a year with Monken couldn’t have hurt. I was reading on the Bama site today how this is a hire that could open the door for Bama to be king again. I find that laughable at best. Bobo knows the shoes he has to fill and the lofty expectation. I promise you he wants to stay in Athens where he’s always loved it and will do everything in his power to do so, including opening the playbook and slinging it around. It may take a few games to get clicking, but fortunately we have that luxury next year with the schedule. I’m looking forward to seeing Bobo 2.0 and seeing what he brings to the table. As always, Go Dawgs!

• Options

HONDADAWG, you are exactly right. Lots of personal bias in defending Bobo, but the stats where it counts speak for themselves. He had no imagination or creativity then, and does not now.

• Options

GBAL

"Bobo averaged basically same or slightly more ppg his last 3 years at Uga as Monken in his 3. And our D gave up 2-3 X the points during Bobo's last 3."

You left out the most important stat. Monken won the big games, Bobo lost them. Why? Because Monken is creative and Bobo is not. Try a third down comparsion between the two of games that were important. Bobo was run it up the middle and punt.