Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Todd Monken offenses statistically compare to Mike Bobo’s past offenses

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageHow Todd Monken offenses statistically compare to Mike Bobo’s past offenses

Mike Bobo knows what kind of pressure cooker he’s walking into as Georgia’s offensive coordinator. He served in the role before, guiding the Georgia offense from 2007 through 2014.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

It seems every statistic is there but the one that counts. Bobo lost most of the important games. Monken won them. I did not see any stats on third down plays, or more importantly, plays when the game was on the line. If the game was close and Georgia had a slight lead, Bobo went ultra conservative. It was run the ball three times up the middle and punt. Subsequently, that is a major reason Richt/Bobo rarely won the big games. No imagination.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the majority of Uga fan base already recognizes an appreciates Bobo’s offensive acumen. As always, a few critical naysayers does not represent the majority of fans. Great choice. Planned ahead. I ask again to the naysayers….Who would you have picked?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Excellent Read Connor !! Thank You !! Stetson Bennett improved considerably from 2021 to 2022. I Believe that Mike Bobo can improve after Nine years removed from UGA. His time at SC and Auburn are pretty much meaningless as he had Nothing to work with. And Colorado St. Lol ?? Right !! That was a really loaded Offensive Powerhouse he had to work with there. 🙄 Bobo has Never had Even Vaguely close to the talent to work with that he will now. And looking at the stats provided by Connor it shows that Bobo ( and Coach Richt) did pretty well on the O with the talent they had. I’m So Glad that UGA rolled out the red carpet and Big $$ for Kirby. That is Not sarcasm on my part. But the Truth is Bobo and Richt Never had even close to the resources that UGA finally decided to give to Kirby when he came in. Which in turn attracted More and Higher level recruits. Player Talent most definitely has a Huge role in success. Speaking of success, Kirby has now brought Two back to back Ntl. Titles to UGA. Yet Some Dawgs fans seem to think ( I believe very wrongly) that Kirby hired Bobo solely based on friendship big LOL !! NO ONE loves to win more than Kirby !! He’s not about to sacrifice his legacy and his winning record just for “friendship”. In his younger days, yeah maybe. But NO not now that he’s a seasoned HC. So that tells me that Really those that are upset dont Really trust Kirby. See the Stetson Bennett story as connected to Kirby. And apparently those same people think that Coach Monken was Lying when he said Bobo drew up allot of the plays, in particular Red Zone plays. That’s where most Offenses tend to struggle. So that tells me that Both Kirby and Monken had faith in Mike Bobo. So where does that leave us ? Can Kirby Guarantee fans that Bobo will bring Total Offensive success ?? NO. Can I Guarantee that Bobo will bring Total Offensive success ?? NO. Did Monken have Total Offensive success his first year at UGA ?? NO. So if any fans know of a Readily Available O Coach that can Guarantee Total Offensive Success why don’t you call Kirby Smart ( the HC you don’t Really trust) and clue him in, maybe he’ll demote Mike back to analyst so he can draw up more plays for the New guy. Look Everything in life is a risk. But I Trust that Kirby set aside friendship and had many deep conversations with and Really evaluated Mike Bobo before he made this decision. I also Believe that Kirby thought about who might be available Out There to replace Monken. And ultimately his best decision was Mike Bobo. I feel sort of sorry for Mike in a way as Some base everything on his work from Nine years ago. I wonder if those same folks are as critical of Themselves on Their jobs ??

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unfortunately that was one of the worst written articles on a site famous for poor writing. The amount of simple grammar mistakes and repetitive lines was saddening. None of my English or Journalism profs would have allowed this back in my day at UGA.

• Options

Montana that is a very fair take on your part. So your willing to give Bobo a chance. That’s fair enough. Just want to add something that you and other fans already know but make a little emphasis on it. Monken strikes me as a very straight forward dude. He says what he means, and means what he says. He doesn’t seem to be one for buttering people’s bread just for the sake of it. HE Said that Bobo drew up some of the plays. In particular Red Zone plays. Traditionally this is where many Offenses tend to struggle. So I don’t believe Monken would have even mentioned that if he had not had a certain amount of Faith in Bobo. And that would certainly include Kirby. So when we saw Some of the plays that worked really well and we were yelling and cheering Boy that Monken is a genius ain’t he ??!!! Could it be that at least Some of those plays ( by Monken’s on words) could be credited to Mike Bobo ?? And lastly my Big question to people who are shocked and angry that Bobo was named OC, WHO Is the OC out there that For A Fact is Available and could come into a brand new ( to them) program and Guarantee success ?? Even Monken got off to a slow start his first year as compared to his last two. Which to me is normal for a brand new guy. I feel sort of bad for Bobo in a way, because be assured every single mistake he makes will be highlited by Some and the references to his previous time will be shouted. I wonder if they will notice when he makes a Excellent play call as he Did in the past ?? No here could have been Any More frustrated with Mike about the hand off up the middle stuff than my wife and I. But I just Believe over the course of Nine years, people Can and Do change to the positive. On my own job I got Far better at it by my Ninth year and ironically the job I had provided more and better resources as that time passed. That’s what’s happening with Mike. I’m all for giving him the chance. And IF he doesn’t get it done I Trust that Kirby will replace him. I feel that’s fair enough.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thadec,

Another insightful post without slinging mud. Good job Amigo. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Thadec, Another insightful post without slinging mud. Good job Amigo. Go Dawgs!!! - BubbaBill

@BubbaBill - Seriously dude? I almost spit my coke when I saw this. Aren't you the one who can't let an MG article pass without slinging something at him? Ridiculous. You should take your backhanded compliment and shove it right into the mirror.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BoBo had slightly better PPG his last 3 years at UGA VS last 3 with Monken….. also UGA gave up 9.5 more PPG on D in those Bobo years than monkens 3. I feel the best choice was made and I have heard no other recommendations as a better pick from the handful of doubters.

• Options
    edited February 2023

That’s what I’m asking to. I don’t mean to be confrontational. And certainly people are entitled to their opinions. But we’re also entitled to offer rebuttals to opinions as well. I haven’t heard one single name dropped that would be a Viable alternative. Of course hiring Bobo has a certain amount of risk. I readily admit that. And Yes I remember very clearly how he’d get fixated on plays not working in his First gig as an OC. But since that First time as OC he hasn’t had much of any talent to work with. And the talent he had when he was at UGA before pales in comparison to what’s here now. And just as I remember the frustrating negatives of his fixations, I Also remember him calling some Excellent plays. I think Bobo has the ability to self reflect and see his mistakes. I just don’t think Kirby would have hired him friendship or not if he didn’t honestly think he could do the job. I mean Kirby wants the program to win, plus he wants to maintain his own legacy as a winner. And wouldn’t a newcomer from outside the program probably go through a some what slow start in their first year as they make the transition ?? Even Monken did in his first year. NO ONE can absolutely guarantee success in the first year after losing a Critical to the program Coach. But just familiarity alone I would think would give Bobo an edge. And even if he gets to acting like his previous days with the fixation problems, I think we can be assured that Kirby will be chewing his backside screaming That ain’t working !! Fix it !! I don’t see Kirby kicking back in a recliner and letting ANY Coach on staff cost him games !! So until Bobo actually costs us a game where it’s primarily His fault, I think the worry is premature and not well grounded.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm late....back in the Bobo/Richt era, I can recall agonizing over Bobo's QB sneaks.....arrrrrghhh. Always losing the bigger games....it seemed. I would pound my fists on the table...wooden... Richt, get rid of that bozo. Finally, I just quit watching...my hands got sore. That was then..

Fast forward and I see a new and improved Bobo (Monken liked Mike) that had been under the watchful gaze of then OC Todd Monken. I also see Kirby Smart holding Bobo's feet to the fire to continue winning on the ground and in the air. The bar has been set...Monken/Smart set it. Bobo must maintain the momentum. Must. He knows it. I expect good things in 2023. You will see more ground game for sure but I believe Bobo will air it out as well. This is not 10 years ago. UGA is elite in most all areas....IMO. Bobo has evolved ...you will see, commensurately.

• Options
    keetl21keetl21 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Stop trying to compare Monken to Bobo, TM won two Natty's in three years, Bobo has zero.

• Options
    keetl21keetl21 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Who would Bobo's critics prefer as OC? I'm not intending to be confrontational. I would really be interested to know.

As far as judging Bobo, there is just so much that's different with the Dawgs between 2014 and now, talent, mentality, facilities. 

If we take Monken's previous programs and compare with Bobo's, what can we conclude?

How about Buster Faulkner, that would have been much better!!