Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Todd Monken offenses statistically compare to Mike Bobo’s past offenses

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why on earth would you not give Bobo’s nationally ranked offensive stats from 2007-2010?

hmmm?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

We all know why!?

your article holds zero merit when you cherry-pick like this. That’s the same exact thing all of the corporate media has been doing for decades= leave a clear bias to support only one point of view instead of having any resemblance of objectivity or balance.

How about add a teeny bit of validity and a little integrity to this article and put the 2009 season ranks in there? Or, better yet, the awesome 2010 season when UGA ended up with UCF in that awesome Bowl game in Memphis with the highly-praised Aaron Murray as the starting QB?!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lots of other factors involved on offense and defense than what you mention. A long list like O-Line, the nice list of top Heisman candidate quality running backs, how good the UGA defense was and trying to keep the ball away from the other team and, what Richt told Bobo to call with the lead(remember Richt groomed Bobo from day 1 and was still his mentor and boss responsible for it all and in control). The list goes on but putting all, and in some cases any, of what you say that is all on Bobo is just not close to accurate.

Especially in the big game part. That is on Richt, the offensive head coach who was Bobo's mentor from day 1 and Richt for the team not having the killer instinct and mindset needed. And the UGA defenses who gave up so many yards and points in big games during Bobo's tenure, although they had playmakers and made big plays from time-to-time.

So is Bobo responsible when his entire coaching career was under his offensive, former offensive coordinator and QB head coach who had final say on everything and helped or did come up with game plans and what to call in what situations, as far as run or to pass, heck matter of fact, when did Richt finally give up play-calling and let Bobo do it? I know it was not Bobo year 1 as OC!

So bottomline is all of the big games where UGA didn't show up for or the play-calling in situations is not all on Bobo. Most all of it might not have been. Defenses and O-lines not being great, not Bobo. And... if he does not do a good job or good enough job, he will be gone. Like Coley.

Imagination call always be better though and hopefully he got some of that from Monken. That is what coaching is, learning from all of the other coaches you work with along the way. Too bad he didn't get any time under Spurrier!

Another year under Monken would have been optimum and I thought he was going to, until the Ravens had to go with Monken. And they were very smart to do so. Two current fairly young but about now washed up QB's best and only good seasons came under Monken. Mayfield and Winston were actually impressive with him but atrocious without him... If Monken has Jackson, watch out.

• Options
  • Options

So you are saying Kirby just got it wrong? And just when did you win your last back2back Nattys?

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am convinced that Coach Monken was elevated to another level in the last three years because of the opportunity that he had at UGA. He is a fantastic OC, and will probably excel in the NFL with noticeably more success than he did prior to his experience at UGA in the CKS program. Just as the UGA football program (and culture) can elevate talented players to their highest potential, I believe it can do the same for talented coaches.

The same can happen for Coach Bobo. This article compares statistics between the two, but there’s more. Both have been in the buisness for many years. Both have less than stellar achievements prior to joining the CKS coaching staff. Coach Monken had a load of Dawg talent to work with on the Offensive Unit, Coach Bobo has never had near this much talent to work with coming into the 2023 season. Coach Monken had the luxury of two of the best Defensive Units in UGA history, Coach Bobo could be playing with (on Saturdays), and facing the best UGA defense in history on “bloody Tuesdays”.

This UGA Offense will be ready to go, and a joy to watch. Even if it’s not the “Monken offense”, it will be the UGA offense that’s more than capable of carving up Gator, Tiger, Vol, Gamecock, Wildcat and Rebel defenses with savage pleasure!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best post I've seen in a while, and accurate. Long before Richt was gone you could see the culture progressively deteriorating. When Richt came to Athens he was a breath of fresh air, the coaches before him were adequate but unable to reach the top. Does anyone else see that the first few years of Richt's tenure were "generally" his best with the exception of 2012? IMO that was because of the talent Donnan left along with the "Junkyard Dawg" culture cultivated under Dooley and Russell.

Smart has taken the Dawgs to a height no other coach ever has. Bobo is stepping into a situation with talent galore in a culture that's hungry. It's hard to see a situation where Mike Bobo doesn't succeed.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, by most accounts on here, and by other UGA channels on YT, Bobo's offense(scoring points average)while he was at UGA was accomplished with basically no talent to work with. A shamble for an offensive line that couldn't block a soul and having to outscore opposing offenses that our defenses couldn't stop. Basically any losses where we didn't score even 20 points or plays that didn't work were not his fault. It's all about the Jimmy's ad Joe's? Is that what I'm hearing? I think I've heard that before, somewhere.

THe concensus on here is: better talent to work with, a better defense that will limit the need to score as many points in most cases, he's worked with Monken for a year or more, he's seen how Monken runs his practices. He's collaborated with Monken on some stuff. He knows he's coming into a great situation and doesn't want to muff this up, he's a UGA guy,a great recruiter and I'm sure I left some more stuff out. Oh yeh, the players will have continuity with the past system (he's not changing the terminology). He's a great OC, the obvious choice! A no-brainer!

Or in other words, no excuses.

Now Get-R-Done!

• Options
    HondaDawgHondaDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Have to say this but numbers don't lie. Third down efficiency matters in the SEC.

Check out these stats from 2019 under James Coley. (While your at it, check out Bobo's best years in '07,'12 and '14)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/stat/downs/season/2019

The recruiting argument for the lack of talent under Richt/Bobo goes out the window. We had plenty of talent in '19.

The lack of production is what can happen if you don't play unpredictable offense. Bobo became very predictable in his tenure and must adapt.

A tel tale sign of regression will be a lack of consistent pre snap motion & a lack of throwing to the RBs when opposing Ds load the box.

In layman's terms, if your offense sucks and is predictable, things like 3rd down conversions go into the toilet.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

You’re right in saying that most of us commenters on DawgNation along with the UGA-friendly channels on YT are convinced that Coach Bobo deserves this chance at OC. But more importantly, Coach Smart is convinced that he deserves it. He was convinced last year when he brought him on board for this very purpose.

No one knows for sure exactly what’s going to happen, just like no one knew exactly what would happen when Coach Coley took over or when Coach Monken was brought in. We do know that Coach Monken is no longer with the program, and CKS didn’t blink an eye when the time came to implement his plan for succession. I believe that if there was any doubt in his mind, we would have seen a different plan. UGA doesn’t have to settle for less now, and I don’t think that has happened. I’m no expert in evaluating coaching talent, but I’ll bet that Coach Bobo is a lot better now than he was 15 years ago, just like Coach Monken has proven that he is definitely better than he was 15 years ago.

GO DAWGS!