Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs and fans must adapt to college football’s changing times

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageDawgs and fans must adapt to college football’s changing times

You think college football has seen a lot of change over the past couple of years?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good stuff, I have a few thoughts….

* I am 6’3” and when I’ve watched from the bridge, the furthest I can see onto the field is about the 20 yard line on the east side of the field. Watching a game from the bridge is unrealistic unless you’re about 12 feet tall. (But I get your point, and would not want to lose access to the bridge during games).

* I’m also optimistic about Bobo. My biggest concern is that he continues to incorporate the “muddle huddle” (aka “sugar huddle”) that Monken used prolifically. TCU didn’t know what the heck was going on pre-snap and it had a lot to do with why we so thoroughly dominated them on offense.

* I’m not as certain as you are that the Auburn rivalry will be preserved. The decision-makers also want to try to maintain competitive balance, and having Auburn play Alabama and Georgia every year while (for instance) Arkansas plays Missouri and Vandy is simply unfair to Auburn. We’ll see what happens.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is always a pleasure to read Bill’s commentary! The professional journalist is a dying breed!

A thought about Bobo: if I’m not mistaken, Richt was big on having a fullback in the game almost every offensive snap negating the use of the TE as we know it now. I have no doubt that Bobo will be very creative with the talented tight ends on the roster since he is no longer saddled with playing a fullback.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Changes the whole personality of experiencing a game at SS. But tickets are in demand, facilities need to be updated and there is extra money to be made. The real draw and experience is what is happening on the field. Can't stop "progress".

Time long past to end the yearly home game for FU in Jax. Bring some of that Florida money to GA/Athens. Athens, Gainesville, Atlanta and Jax rotation is a money grab beyond dumb. Teams would lose a recruiting game date 3 out of 4 years.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m all in on Bobo. The past year he spent with Monken will only make him better. I also think there is a high probability of some consistency at both coordinator positions for several years. Stability there will be a benefit as we see the game change dramatically over the next 2-3 years.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. I could see the Smart/Bobo/Muschamp partnership lasting for years.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great piece as always BK. Good perspective on many issues and all spot on IMO. Keep up the great work. Highlight of the DawgNation week. DGD.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd rather have Vandy has the 3rd permanent opp.

No one in the country except for maybe UT/OH have a game as special as GA/FL. Don't dismiss this.

• Options

I thought the exact same thing. About the journalists and the TE/FB spot.

• Options

Which is why I'm thinking we won't get USC. They'll probably attach grades to each teams. UF and AU are high quality teams. USC is probably mid quality. They might give us a lower tier (Vandy please) team to compensate for two upper tier teams.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep on Vandy…..and Nashville is lightyears more fun for a road game than Columbia, SC. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

Not to mention the $$$ involved. TV deals, money being thrown at players, transfer portal free agency, gambling being sanctioned/allowed, coaches making crazy money, college football serving as a semi-professional league for NFL where players play a couple of years and who knows if they ever graduate. It has definitely changed and not necessarily for the better. Pretty much lost its soul.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Florida game will be in Athens every other year... UF can play it on campus or in that dump on the river in Jax every other year. Kirby is getting his 5 GA FL games in Athens every 10 years...book it!

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll be curious to see what ESPN does with UGA/FL - keep at 3:30 or move it to prime time.

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

It's funny how some are so concerned about the money "lost" to Athens due to playing Florida in Jacksonville. Why do they care? They obviously have either a direct or indirect vested financial interest. I personally couldn't care less about that aspect. I also don't get the lack of appreciation for what a special game Georgia - Florida is as a neutral site game, played at the beach, and benefiting the fans in south and coastal Georgia. I personally have no interest in ever going to the swamp to watch a game. I do hear Kirby's concern about recruiting but feel like there must be ways to address those concerns. Why don't Texas and OK have the same issue? In any case, effectively having national coverage on CBS every year has got to be a huge recruiting edge.

Bill, please continue to speak in favor of Jacksonville. At worst, alternating between Atlanta and Jacksonville should be the next option considered.