Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The position that may benefiti the most from new Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageThe position that may benefiti the most from new Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

That video showing Milton getting wings for the lineman was classic!!

Gotta take care of “the big uglies”!!!

Go Dawgs! Four times National Champs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

The elevation of one offensive group usually comes at the expense of another offensive group. It is very unlikely that UGA has a 1000 yard rusher next year (or any year) in the Bobo/Smart O.

UGA runs a RB by committee offense. It has to to recruit the depth it wants and to keep multiple players engaged and happy. CKS likes depth he also doesn't want to subject any of his young players to the physical abuse a CFB RB endures as an every down back. UGA's O doesn't use a single back enough to gain 1K yards. Milton has not proven durable enough to gain 1K yards. No one else currently on the UGA roster looks like a 1K CFB RB.

If any group will benefit by offensive diversity and divergence under CMB it would be WR. The focal point of the O in '23 will be BB. But he will be gone after '23. The focal point going forward , after '23, will not be the TE position w/o BB.

With a bigger armed, and dare I say "more accurate" , thrower expected at the QB position in '23 NOW is the time to diversify the pass route tree and get the WR's (5-6 starters deep) more targets all over the field.

What better way to attract QB prospects (Raiola) and recruit higher ranked WR's? Ball control/clock management (ie running) is important to being able to close out games by a contending team. But dialing down the O to a "back in the day" O by running primarily is contrary to the explosive plays CKS wants.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not just how many total points are scored during a season, but how consistently points are scored in clutch situations when a game or championship title is at stake. We hopefully will never see another debacle as at the end of the game with Alabama when a poorly designed play cost us the game on the 6 yard line.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Beck or whoever has a "bigger more accurate arm" than SB had, since the last 5 playoff games SB played in( in which of course we won) . He was just 102-145 @70% -306 yards per game avg. -with 16 TD's and just 1 INT.

Yeh, I hope they do have better more accurate arms. If they do, look out world.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

More rushing AND receiving yards will be there if the games are closer. When the offense goes into an “eat the clock” mode in the 4th qtr due to having a sizable lead— not as many opportunities to improve individual stats.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Well if you are going to count 5 PO games why not count the 6th playoff game (SECCG vs AL) ? Because 60% passing and 2 more INT's doesn't fit your narrative?

If you are going to point out stat's in those 5 PO games shouldn't the 3 simultaneous possession TD receptions and the circus catches by Pickens and BB (vs MI) also be mentioned? I could go on (15 examples off the top of my head as I recall) but we've been down that road before. SBIV had elite teammates making elite plays for him.

There is no doubt the next UGA QB will have a bigger arm than SBIV.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@Beachwagon

"poorly designed play" or poorly executed play? The play was clearly designed to be a sideline out to Conley to try and turn it up or step out at the 3. Giving UGA a run or pass option for the last play of the game. It is the safest and most common end of game sideline play. Used by every team. The pass was deflected at the LOS. Changed the quick out timing to waiting for the pass and being tackled.

Had NOTHING to do with play design. Unless the play design was to have the ball batted at the line of scrimmage. Factless narratives running rampant here today.

• Options

Seems I struck a nerve. SB won 5 out of his last 6 playoff games. And you'd rather obsess over the one he lost. He's the greatest QB in UGA history in terms of winning big games. He received 4 MVP awards and you'd rather bash him for a loss to BAMA in which he passed for roughly 400 yard. Amazing! We were getting boat raced by the Heiman winner QB and their 1st and top of the 2nd round receivers. He screwed up on a couple of throws trying to do too much.

How would you assess SB 's performances in the 2 NC games compared with Buck Belue's 1-13 passing for 7 yards? No one bashing Belue for that. Not one true UGaA fan did that back in January 1981. He's a hero.

I hope we do get a new starting QB who can throw it around better-seriously(not only that) but come up big in big moments like SB did and be the winner that he was and is. That's more important than having a Heisman QB like a Caleb Williams or BY or CJ Stroud who never won a single NC. let alone 2.

If we do, like I said, watch out world!

• Options

Not bashing anybody. Just calling you out for omitting facts that don't support your narrative.

FACT: SBIV had elite teammates that made elite plays for him. That's not bashing anybody. In fact it is commending some GREAT players you overlook in a biased attempt to push your narrative.

FACT: UGA had 3(!) simultaneous TD catches in the last 2 CFBCG's. Name 1 other in a CFBCG in the playoff era? For that matter name 1 playoff catch better than Pickens 47 yarder vs AL or BB catch (1st?) vs MI. Go ahead I'll wait.

Ya that's what I thought.

Buck Belue could've gone 1-12 vs TCU and UGA still wins. That's how good UGA's players were.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20

What you are saying is 100% false. As for the claims "The elevation of one offensive group usually comes at the expense of another offensive group" ... USC in 2004 had a pair of 1000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush actually had 1700 yards), a pair of 1000 yard receivers and a 3000 yard passer. Clemson had the same in 2018 (almost) with Tee Higgins falling a few yards short of 1000. But those weren't against SEC defenses? Well 2019 and 2020 answer that. LSU: 5700 yards passing. 1400 yards rushing from future 1st round pick. And a pair of WRs over 1500 yards. Alabama? More of the same. Nearly 1500 yard rusher, plus two first rounders (Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith) and a future 2nd rounder (would have been first had he not torn up his knee (Metchie) and 4500 yard QB. And this was with a truncated regular season consisting of only 10 regular season games. And Ohio State this season, who - again - came either one field goal or one defensive stop from winning it all? A pair of 1000 yard receivers, and Miyan Williams gets to 1000 yards easily if he doesn't get hurt.

Finally, tailback recruits hate RB by committee. RBs want to be Heisman candidates and be first round draft picks just as badly as QBs and WRs do. RB by committee prevents them from putting up the stats necessary to do that. Haven't you noticed how UGA's RB recruiting has fallen off the map since Monken came on board? UGA used to sign at least a pair of top 100 RBs every year. Instead they have only signed 4 guys the past 3 seasons, one of them a 3 star guy. Justice Haynes chose Alabama over UGA because he wants to be the next Najee Harris ($13 million in guaranteed money on his rookie deal) and not Zamir White (less than $750,000 guaranteed on his rookie deal). Also, it is perfectly possible to keep multiple RBs happy. UGA did it in 2017 with Chubb and Michel both getting 1200+ yards and D'Andre Swift getting 600+ as a true freshman. Michel was a 1st rounder, and Chubb would have been had there not been concerns about his knees. Yes, Jake Fromm "only" threw for 2600 yards that year, but that had more to do with Fromm being a true freshman and UGA's not having much at WR (before you protest, none of those guys lasted 4 years in the NFL but Mecole Hardman, and Hardman has been just average despite Mahomes getting him the ball) than Chubb/Michel/Swift getting their touches.

So long story short: you guys really, truly need to see what is going on in the rest of college football. None of those "RB by committee" teams land blue chip tailback recruits, and the reason is that none of them reliably produce guys who get big money in the NFL, especially on rookie deals. You can argue whether this is a "does the chicken come first or does the egg" problem if you like ... lots of people have. They even accuse blue chip tailbacks who pass up RB by committee programs as selfish ballhogs. But why bother? Plenty of programs have proven that a dominant passing game and a great running game can coexist. There is no reason for UGA to join them.

And if you had to choose one over the other, going with the RBs makes more sense anyway. UGA is much more likely to land top 50 RBs with potential NFL first round talent than they are than top 150 WRs with potential 3rd round talent. If UGA goes with the passing game, that would put the schools who actually do land elite WRs - USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Florida, FSU and Miami - at an advantage. UGA was able to mitigate that the past 2 years thanks to great TEs and - you guessed it - a stable of very talented RBs. Even though UGA didn't run the ball very much, everyone knew that they still had the ability to dominate with the running game if they chose to because Milton, McIntosh, Edwards, Robinson etc. were all elite recruits. Replace guys like that with 3 star players who choose "RB by committee" at UGA because it beats starting at UCF, Mississippi State and Louisville and what UGA did the past 2 years on offense doesn't work nearly as well.

• Options

We were just better when we came out and tossed it around the yard. WHen that happens you can then run the ball as you need to, as long as you don't get preditable

The times we struggled this past year it seemed to be where we passed the ball down the field easily enough then we got inside the redzone and went conservative. A 1st down run for 4 yards and it's like Monken is thinking, Ok 2nd and 6, another 3-4 yarder will set up a 3rd and 1-2. But time and time again we'd get **** at the line on 2nd down and now it's 3rd and 6. Now you've got 1 throw to get the 1st down. THey know you're passing, and they send everybody and the pass is incomplete. field goal time!

THe times when we just committed to going pedal to the metal seemed to go pretty well.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@thadec

More pish posh. I didn't really read most of what you said. But 2 things stood out. IF you change the run/pass ratio, to more run 1st as some Bobo bashers suggest, you have less passes to spread around. Plus running the ball more runs the clock. Shortens the game. Time for fewer plays. DUH. Football 101. WR's have less opportunity to catch passes ie the WR group suffers. It is really simple math.

As far as HS running backs. They (and their parents) LOVE RB by committee. RB's take a beating more than any other position. It takes a toll on the still physically developing players. Developing, sharing the load and protecting them from overuse and PRESERVING their bodies to excel at the next level is ABSOLUTELY what RB's want at the CFB level. Have you ever heard the UGA tandems complaining? Why did 2 5* RB's commit to AL this year? You seem to forget that fact while pushing your narrative w/Haynes. Why don't you go ask Marcus Lattimore if he would've liked some relief at SC?

RB's would LIKE to be Heisman candidates RB's WANT to be healthy enough to play in the NFL.

• Options

SB has set the bar high. Yes it helps playing on a great team, but lots of better, more gifted QB's have played on great teams and still couldn't get it done. Anyone doubt we couldn't have beaten Notre Dame for the NC instead of BAMA had Murray and Bobo made the right call and executed in 2012? Coulda, shoulda. But that was a NC waiting to just happen and it didn't! Jake Fromm had his "close but no cigar moment. "

We will have more gifted, physical specimens at the QB position who can spin the ball better than SB and who will go higher in the NFL Draft, no doubt. Anyone who runs the offense from here on out for the immediate future will have as good of receivers and supporting cast and an unbelieveable defense as as any QB has had in the past. CKS is just going to keep reloading and the next man up!

Time will tell if SB was just a decent QB who came along at just the right time and capitalized on getting to direct the offense(he got to steer the Maserati) or if he was truly someone special that had that( as they say) intangible toughness, that hard edge, or chip on his shoulder that enabled him to rise above his own level of football giftedness when it counted and play better than his more gifted competitors.

I, for one, don't believe for a second that he was some kind of game manager. LOL! The kid had some game as they say.

• Options

Again there you go pushing your narrative at the expense of better players. Many UGA players will be drafted higher than SBIV from the '21, '22 and '23 teams. He was SURROUNDED by NFL players. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself SBIV wasn't a game manager.

Next time you compare any UGA QB or ANY CFB QB to SBIV ask yourself how many of them played 2 years behind the Joe Moore award winning OL?

Speaking of OL, this recruiting cycle is CRITICAL to the continued success of UGA. The last 5* OL is gone after this season (Mims). The last couple years we've seen a lot of 3* OL join the program. Need to get back to getting more skilled, dominant and higher rated OL.

• Options

Trying to convince you, not myself LOL! you seem to be the only one on here downplaying his acheivements. Listen, I was right there with you initially tooting the horn for JT Daniels, you know I was. But I grew up, and SB made a believer out of me. I should have trusted KS instead of whining about starting JT against MIchigan. SB was the right man for the job.. He kept saying he was, but his own coaches doubted him, but early on Nolan Smith said, thats our guy! Nolan had to have seen what he was doing to their #1 rated defense in practices. JT is now playing for his 4th college team.

Other than win it all twice, what do you have against him? He's just not what? Sexy(prototypical, big arm) enough for you? Just let it go.

JT was playing behind the Joe Moore OL but he couldn't beat out SB, neither could CB, who by all accounts is the sexy prototypical QB.

SB will (I suppose) never have done enough to impress a couple of UGA fans, but that's all it's down to now, a couple. A coupe who just can't admit the were wrong.

• Options

I have NOTHING against SBIV. Not sure where that comes from. I rooted hard for him to succeed. Pointing out that he is inconsistent and aided by elite teammates is not a slam on him. It is reality that half(?) the fan base fails to acknowledge. If you say you didn't hold your breath every time he dropped back to pass in a big situation you are lying. He had some very reckless tendencies that he thankfully improved on. CKS kept him on a short leash. Remember the side arm sling (before halftime?) vs LSU in the SECCG? THANKFULLY fell to the turf. But SBIV immediately looked over at the sideline to acknowledge to CKS "My bad. Won't do that again". Even the announcers said as much.

The JTD/SBIV debate was 2 years ago. SBIV got better. JTD stayed hurt and left. But to reach the summit of CFB UGA had to beat AL. SBIV was 0-2 vs AL and not protecting the ball. He still displayed some recklessness w/the ball. Not sure what CKS said to him but would have loved to have been in those meetings. But CKS broke him (barely) of that habit that was holding UGA and him back.

There were questions by many whether SBIV could beat AL after his performance in the SECCG. Remember UGA trailed AL for more than 3Q's in the '21 CFBCG. UGA's D kept UGA in the game long enough for AD to wrestle the ball away from an AL defender in the endzone and BB to take a TE screen for a TD. The game was not put away until KRingo's pick6. SBIV impressed me with eliminating his mistakes and managing the best team in the country to CFBC's.

Personally, I will take a mobile QB over a pocket statue (not Beck) every time. That's why I favor BVG in the next QB battle. Historically, QB's like Roger Staubach and Steve Young kept drives alive being able to scramble for 1st downs. Even more important now with the speed and athleticism of todays defenders.