Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mom’s Home Cooking!!!

Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m currently visiting my mother for a few days and although she isn’t in the best of health she is taking the time to cook a few of my favorite childhood meals. 😃. Tonight I had her chicken and rice. I know, it sounds kinda plain, but the way she does it is absolutely delicious! She says she is planning on cooking a roast and maybe some cubed steak before I have to leave. These are also at the top of my list of her recipes. I can’t wait.

While my mother can cook most anything, you might can tell that she excels at the more traditional southern style foods.

The real topic or question for this thread is what meals do you have at the top of your list that your mom, dad, relative, or significant other might treat you with or that you remember fondly? Or maybe just a meal that you cook yourself that you really love.

Comments

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yum, salmon patties sound pretty good. My mom sometimes makes what she calls salmon croquettes and they too are delicious. Not sure what the difference is but I’m sure they are both very good if made right.

I feel your pain here. My late Grandmother, also a very good southern cook canned many things, among them was vegetable soup and it was delightful. As you stated it was perfect for a cold winter day.

@BarkingDawg I hope all is going well with your moms hip recovery. Yes, I can see were that part is a blessing. Glad to hear that, enjoy it while you can!

@JAXDAWG I hope your mom has recovered nicely also. Yeah man, cubed steak and fried pork chops!!! That’s tough to beat. Especially with homemade mashed potatoes or rice and gravy. My mom would make red skin MP and they are awesome. I also love her rice and gravy she makes off of her roast beef. Freaking wonderful!!!

edited February 2023

I’m very sorry to hear that brother. I’m very glad to hear that you and your mom have been there for one another. Keep on cooking man.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Mom's top 3. 1) spaghetti with homemade meat sauce 2) meat loaf with green beans and mashed potatoes 3) chocolate cake with homemade made icing. .

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An old friend of mine told me this story. When he was a newlywed, his bride tried to learn how to cook his mom's way of cooking a ham dinner. She could never get it quite right. Something was off. So, he had his mom come and watch/teach his new bride. When they were done eating, and the ham, again, wasn't quite right he asked his mom "what did she do wrong". His mom said, "why did she cut the ham in half before cooking it" ? Turns out his wife's pan was too small to hold the entire ham and she had to cook only one half at a time. True story.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My mom always put ham in a brown paper bag from the grocery store. It always amazed me that it never caught on fire.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I cook foods from all over, but my husband asks for a mess of greens every now and again.

The kids like my meat pies (kind of like an Irish stew with a pastry top) and one loves banana pudding. I've been on a Cajun kick lately sautéing andouille, shrimp, and peppers together.

I'll stay up most of the night smoking pork or brisket. And biscuits, you've got to have biscuits.

Oh, and old cookbooks like one from Betty Talmadge, or the Claxton Methodist Church, or another from the 1920s- 1930s by a Mrs. Dahl at the Atlanta Journal, they keep us connected to those who came before us.