Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett turns in strong 40-yard dash at NFL combine

SystemSystem Posts: 10,490 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett turns in strong 40-yard dash at NFL combine

For as much interest as there was in Stetson Bennett and what he had to say at the NFL combine, there was plenty of intrigue regarding how he would test athletically.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

The numbers seem "okay" from a non-expert here. Out of 4 QBs, he was 3rd, Last, 4th (out of 5) and 3rd in results verified so far.

In terms of overall score, he is 7th out of 15 participants.

The "Next Gen" score shows a score of 75 which is considered "Good" and is 9th.

Is that enough to get him a 2nd day pick? I'm not sure.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s now 3:36PM, the announcer said that over all Stetson had a real nice day. Now I watched his throws and they were all comparable to the other QBs, Including the deep ball. He also looks like he’s bulked up a bit more. I don’t know what round he’d go, but I definitely believe he’s got what it takes to make a team.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So now the pundits only have two excuses that he isn’t as good as Bryce. He is too light and too old.

his arm is no longer an issue

he should be a round 2 pick based on skills— so should that Bama QB

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've said for a while now (more than a year) that Bennett is taller than Young. Glad the combine measurements bear that out.

• Options

He looked good today. When I posted my comment he hadn’t yet made all his throws. He looked every bit as good, Better in some cases than those he was throwing with. Honestly I’ve never agreed with the arm strength questions, just speaking for me. I always thought his arm strength was in line with all other top QBs collectively. Yeah there’s some stronger, but there’s some weaker to. I think he’s right in there with the best. Plus Stetson has the FBI ( Football Intelligence) the experts talk about. He should be able to do really well with an NFL team. Just my humble opinion.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2023

Yeah, there are some guys with stronger arms, but they weren't there today. Today, Bennett tied Kentucky's Will Levis for the strongest throw at 59 miles per hour. He would then go throw for throw with Levis, considered a top 10 overall prospect in the draft, on deep throws.

• Options

Amen !! Totally Agree !! Stetson made the best of his time !! The NFL teams want to see the throwing skills more so than the running, though he also did pretty well in that to. Yes he’s right there with The Best no doubts !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...accuracy, timing and pocket presence count much, much more than "arm strength".

Stet made all the throws and on time...with one or two exceptions. The exceptions occurred on the corner throws. He's used to guys going UP to get the ball. The WRs catching his passes during that drill, didn't leave the ground. Lol

In comparison to the other QBs, he stood out. But, that was expected...by me. I knew what he could do. The one thing that kind of surprised me, was his 40 yd dash. It looked like he was only running 90%...and still busted a 4.67. A half step behind Russell Wilson and 3 steps AHEAD of Baker Mayfield. He ran step-for-step with Wilson to about the 30 yd mark...then slowed a bit in the last 10 yds, for some reason.

The Commentators didn't really know where to go, with their commentary on Bennett. What they were seeing, wasn't "jiving with" what they've been hearing on ESPN or what they were reading in the Scouting report and bio.

Lol..."hype", is for the untrained fan. Only give weight to what you see with your own eyes...and believe it!!! Bennett was always capable...and spent the last 3 years "proving and improving it". He'll be fine. Next!!!

The funny thing, was in the power throwing drill...Levi's threw the ball 59 mph...then Bennett throws the ball...59 mph. So much for the hype, on arm strength. Lol

Richardson can throw the ball a "country mile"...but, can't hit the broad side of a barn and has no touch. Amazing athleticism on that kid. If he can harness and control his power...he'll be the most deadly QB on the planet. The question is...does he have the determination, commitment and desire, to improve his game and reach past the wall.

If I had a pick in the 1st round and I needed a QB...it would absolutely go to Stroud. My next two QBs would be Bennett or Hooker...depending on the style of offense. I don't buy into the "Hyped 4". I have my own ideas of "the best of the best" and why.

• Options

Great comments Bro. !! Obviously I’m not inside the heads of the NFL Coaches and GMs. But I feel Stetson upped his stock today, Allot. And though Yes it takes a team, he helped lead his team to Back2Back National Titles. There is No bigger stage in college football than that. And Again Yes it takes a team, but he was instrumental at helping to lead the Dawgs back in the 4th Qtr. vs OSU. Some will say it was the missed FG by OSU, well though I’m certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I Know that Lol !! But the missed FG wouldn’t have mattered had we been trailing by allot of points, but Stetson helped get the Dawgs back in the game and helped give them the chance to win it. That was probably one of the most memorable Pressure moments we’ve seen him in, but there were several, several more. So Stetson certainly knows how to deal with the pressure of the moment. Just like You did here and I commend you for it, sometimes you have to give the opposition credit. CJ Stroud is one more Smooooth Operator. Bryce Young on the right team will do really well. Levits has Allot of potential but you have to wonder how he’d handle Allot of pressure as he’s never played on a Big Stage in college. Same for Richardson, he’s much more of an athlete in pretty much all areas than Levits, but he also has No Big Stage Experience. When you look at Football IQ and Big Stage Experience Stetson has Every Bit of those as Stroud and Young. If I was a billionaire that owned Two teams and I could only get Two of three QBs available, that being Stetson, Stroud, and Young. I’d pick Stroud first ( he just has a Very rare natural ability) then Stetson for my other team. To Me the margin of difference realistically In Real Games between Stroud and Stetson is Very thin. Stroud is ever so slightly better. I believe Stetson is ever so slightly better than Young though. Just my opinions. I ain’t got no $$$ I’m So Broke I can’t even pay attention Lol !!

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Happy for SBIV. Theory: the throwing drills were the priority for the national press, so he ran 90% in the 40. Now that he's shattered the canned conventional wisdom, he turns it up a notch at UGAs pro day (?)

Theory #2 (just repeating): SBIV would be a really interesting fit with Baltimore. A system that requires a QB with wheels ... and Monken is there, so familiarity ... I think the Ravens, at a bare minimum, franchise tag Jackson. But SBIV as a 3rd string insurance policy. And the way Huntley played this year with Lamar hurt, if I'm Baltimore, I might want another option. SBIV opening some people's eyes at the combine may have just forced the Ravens to get ready to take him earlier (3rd round?) than they hoped (sneaky, quiet 5th).

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...I like the way you think. But, Bennett is ready for prime time, right now. He doesn't need to mature anymore...or anything like that. At this point...it's a matter of "fit" and "opportunity", and playbook knowledge. He controls one of those things.

He could start for half the teams in the league, right now...if he knew their playbook. That's what separates the men from the boys. How well do you know the playbook and how can you use it to your advantage.

All of these guys have skills...but, which ones use theirs the best? I say...Stroud, Bennett and Hooker...but, you may see it different. And, that's understandable...considering all the "hype" out there. If you dampen out all the noise (hype), my 3 guys are remaing...IMO.

Levis and Richardson are "works-in-progress'", that may NEVER pan out. 1st round? Not me. Lol

• Options

@BigDawg61 @BigFan Wisdom from Both of Yall !! Yep. It’s Stetson’s ability to Remember Plays and to very quickly Read the Defense that separates him. They ( Monken) were allowing him to change the plays on his own, allot of QBs are constantly looking at the sideline with their head on a swivel when the Defense is lined up in a way their not comfortable with, not Stetson. Also he has the ability to take a busted play and make chicken salad out of chicken sheit !! He keeps his cool under fire. Yep. If he could hook up with Monken at Baltimore he might well become the starter in short order !!