Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Full 2023 NFL Combine testing results for Georgia football players

2»

Comments

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

@navydawg not to ignore your question- I too am a College football fan and usually only follow the NFL around draft season to see where some of the college guys go.

and in reference to your small town pride comment. I’m from a small county in north Georgia. We had 108 seniors in my class in the 80s. I fully understand your comments. We had 1 player go to UGA and then the pros(albeit the strike season). It was pretty exciting. Of course I now have a relative who just might add to that, however his mom is a Clemson grad and the whole house is orange.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

I don't see Beal going in the 2nd rd. Maybe 3rd (like a very productive Channing Tindall did). Rush DE's can be reached for but I'd be surprised if he goes in the 2nd. Ringo will go in the 1st rd. CSmith is small but he should go before the 6th. KMcI in the 3rd seems right. Warren McClendon was a good, solid college player with a lot of high level experience. Something tells me he may slide a little based on how JSalyer slid last year. If he does someone will get a solid pro.

SBIV moved up with a solid combine. He threw well. Granted it was against no D, ideal conditions while being able to set his feet and drive the ball. 4th rd looks about right unless Monken really wants him then all bets are off. IF Monken doesn't want him that will be an interesting story.

A couple of SBIV observations. 1) Bennett's 4.67 was surprising. That 40 did not look like the SBIV on that 64 yard TD run vs AU. Thought he would run a little faster. He looked bigger so maybe the extra weight slowed him a little. Also his shuttle time (reported 4.2) was slower than DWash (reported 4.08?) . Hard to believe that is right. 2) SBIV was flexing his right shoulder during some of the throwing drills (that I saw). Similar to during the season when a shoulder injury was rumored. IF there is ANY lingering throwing shoulder issue it could effect his draft position.

Most of the 1st group of QB's were not particularly impressive. Not much difference between them. Except I thought Max Duggan did not look as accurate. Didn't see the 2nd group. But I see ARichardson and WLevis going in the top half of the 1st round. The ceiling is just too high for these players to slide. Remember ARichardson is 21. What will he be after 4 years of development by professionals when he will be the same age as SBIV is now? Some team will take the chance that he will develop more quickly than expected.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey @navydawg, I'll try to give some sort of answer to your question. About the only things I love more than the Dawgs are God and my family, but that said, I really try to look at the Dawgs without rose-colored glasses, and see them for who they are, warts and all. It would be a nice storybook tale for Bennett to get drafted by Monken and the Ravens, but if one thing has become clear to me since the last Natty, it is that Todd Monken is not THE LEAST BIT sentimental or nostalgic. It is ALL business to him, and I don't think he has any special affection or hate for Stetson Bennett. I'm not sure Monken could do the same things with Bennett in the pros that he could in college. And honestly, even if Lamar Jackson does leave the Ravens -- which I think he will after they franchise him this year -- I don't think Bennett would start. Did he look pretty good at the combine? Yes, he did. But that's a lot different than going against live players in a live setting. But who knows? He's surprised us all before, so anything is possible. But I don't much think the Ravens draft him because that's just too fairy tale. Just like the Falcons don't seem to draft UGA players, even if they need them. Few things in life are that straightforward. Go Dawgs!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think either is enamored with the other... just little side comments, things not said, and/or reading between the lines over the past couple of years with both of them... despite their success together, I've gotten the sense that neither would clamour to work with the other at the next level (but of course would make it work if circumstances or other influences put them there). Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sick of hearing about Bennett's age. Just heard Chris Lowe (ESPN Senior Writer) make a comment on Paul Finebaum...that "Bennett wouldn't be returning for his 10th season,....but,...".

Now, here's the real deal..

2017 (Freshman) ....Bennett graduates HS at age 19. Plays Baker Mayfield for Rose Bowl work up... AGE 20

2018 (Sophmore/JUCO Xfer)...Playoffs. Recruited by Napier and Smart out of JUCO... AGE 21.

2019 (RS So)...Backup to Fromm. Very little playing time. Relegated to "Perpetual Backup" by media and fans... Age 22.

2020 (COVID Year)....Backup, Starter, Injury, Backup... Age 23.

2021 (RS Jr)...Backup-to-Starter. Took Team to National Championship, while starting all, but 2 or 3 games. Some Coaches in Fall Camp, thought Bennett was the "best bet" to start the season. Smart went with Daniels till it was discovered he was injured in the last scrimmage. The rest is history. Age 24.

2022 (RS Senior)...Natty...again! We all know the story. AGE 25.

Now...can somebody PLEASE explain to me...why is the media obsessed with Bennett's age. And...why is Bennett's age (25), a story...where Hooker's age (25), is not? Is it a racial thing?

Is it because @MikeGriffith has been obsessed with it since 2020. Griffith and "Dawg Nation" in general, hammer that detail home, in practically every "UGA QB" or "Bennett" story?

What, exactly, is out of line with Bennett's timeline? He followed normal trajectory...WRT education and COVID deviations. Yeah...he played 6 years and that is unusual. But, only 4 of those years can be counted as actually playing for UGA and DIV1 Football. And, one year was a COVID year, with no Spring or OTA's for Bennett to use for personal growth & development.

The 1st year (2017) was more like a "prep year" for underprivileged players, where Bennett is concerned. He learned how to be a College QB, that year...and took what he learned to the JUCO level for a little practical experimentation and streamlining.

He always had the tools to be a great QB...but, he needed a lot of seasoning, to mature into what he is, now. I wouldn't trade him for a single QB in the lot. Except for, maybe Stroud.

I like Stroud. Shoulda' won the Heisman. Stroud, not winning the Heisman is a travesty and one of the many reasons I don't give that award any credibility...anymore. Lol

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...that's like saying, "Paul McCartney would not want to work with John Lennon, again.", after the Beatles broke up.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thx guys for the feedback on my questions. I’ve been under the weather today, feeling a bit better now. Sorry it took me so long to get back to Yall. Go Dawgs !!