Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National media weighs in on Georgia football performance at 2023 NFL Combine

SystemSystem Posts: 11,122 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageNational media weighs in on Georgia football performance at 2023 NFL Combine

The 2023 NFL Combine is in the books after four days of workouts in Indianapolis.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, it would seem the good news is SB didn't hurt himself with his arm strength. No Jake Fromm, ugh, moment.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did y'all watch that clip comparing Darnell pushing the sled to Mayer pushing it? Mayer looks like a little boy trying really, really hard to push it as well as pappy (but not even coming close despite the effort)!

After their performances, I'm thinking that Darnell and Nolan could go in the first half of Rd 1. What do others think?

Kelee may not have excelled at some of the metrics, but his speed seems like it ought to be important If I'm not mistaken, he's at least 15 pounds and 1 inch bigger than any of the CBs who ran faster than he did. Obviously, some high profile coverage errors last season could have hurt perceptions of him. But, if you look at the overall data on his coverage, it was very good.

Finally, it seems Bennett is still being underrated. After Saturday's display of both speed and arm strength (not to mention what everyone knows about his confidence and big-game performances), fourth round seems kind of low (singing your tune, @BigDawg61 :-)

I'm also really glad for Robert Beal. Compares favorably to where Channing Tindall was last year -- 1/100th of a second slowing than Tindall in the 40 and not as much hope but a lot bigger. Tindall went 102nd in the draft; not sure where Beal is expected to land but by the metrics who could go higher.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Yes, SB did great. When i watched Brock Purdy n NFL playoff, i was not impressed, kept thinkin SB woulda done better - of course im biased. Dawgs did great overall. Loved Nolan's pitch 4 UGA. Re JC & other issues: true what SB said, "individual mistakes, individual responsibilty"! Loved best what Chris Smith said re JC, "I'm prayin 4 him". Not condoning issues but i drove fast when i was n my 20s, fortunate tho - these kids not so fortunate. Im sur JC feels horrible guilt. A lot 4 these young ppl 2 compartmentalize, esp Warren McClendon. We must keep praying 4 r young Dawgs 2 grieve n a healthy manner. We must pray 4 r current team, Bullard, Dumas-Johnson. Seems they cut loose after Natty, probably pressure they put on themselves n addition 2 coaches. Dunno but do know consequences teach responsibilty 4 wrong choices. None of us r perfect, only One who also forgives & am keepin all n my prayers.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,217 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WOW, I was surprised by the combine performance of Anthony Richardson.....where was all this superior athleticism as the Gators QB1??? Which brings me to my point, do NFL owners & coaches ever consider a players persistent determination that resulted in weekly wins over a season or maybe two???? Given that metric alone, SBIV is light years ahead of AR and the other QB's in the combine.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Richardson is extremely athletic and should be playing football...only....not, at Quarterback. He will not be a great QB...but, can be a great football player, if he's willing to compromise.

If Richardson was serious about playing QB at the next level...he would've stayed at Florida to learn the trade from one of the best QB Coaches in the Country...Napier. that's what Bennett did. It's the smart play...if you have a career strategy. There are too many QBs, with more experience and better resumes, in this year's draft.

But, if you're looking for a great athlete...take Richardson. Just, not in the first 3 rounds. That would be a waste. Like Tim Tebow...Richardson will eventually try a new position, to get playing time.

There are great athletes everywhere you look. They play all sorts of sports. Basketball, Football, Tennis, etc.. Not all of them can play football. And, only a very small percentage are capable of playing QB. That's not a sin. It's just a reality.

The way your brain processes information and reaction time, are just as important as physical abilities.. where a QB is concerned. The type of offense you operate, is also a big factor.

The most successful NFL QB's are not the most physically gifted, in the vast majority of cases. In fact, there have been quite a few "1st round busts" among the physically gifted.

There is a button or switch, in the mind of a QB, that allows him to "shut out the noise" and go to a "higher level", under pressure...when the chips are down. Bennett has that. Young has that. Stroud has that. Duggan has it. IMO...Richardson does not have it.

I think Hooker may have it, but, hard to be sure.