Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN makes interesting pick for Georgia football’s biggest loss to replace

SystemSystem Posts: 11,081 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageESPN makes interesting pick for Georgia football’s biggest loss to replace

Georgia has a number of key players to replace and the Bulldogs will use spring practice to help determine who is best equipped to do so.

Read the full story here

Comments

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2023

All true……I know a winner when I see one, knew it when he first trotted out in the Arkansas game a few years back.

He’s done nothing but prove some writers wrong and elevated his team…..and amazingly, some are STILL trying to get their shots in.

Hopefully, MG has quit writing about him. That was just a total clown show and should be an embarrassment to all dawg fans, Stetson’s teammates and staff.

Nonetheless, I for one…….am eternally grateful for what Stetson did for UGA.

Leading the dawgs to two national championships (back to back) while playing the most important position on the field ain’t easy.

One of my all-time favorites.

Nice article…..

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed... neither "interesting", or surprising, or unexpected... pick your slightly disrespectful adjective. I doubt anyone (except probably Stetson himself) anticipated this Cinderella story, but it was just that... against huge odds and the shock of many, the powerful offense of the nations's best team, two years in a row, was guided masterfully by this nondescript athlete who refused to be denied. Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Eastmandawg "He’s done nothing but prove some writers wrong and elevated his team…..and amazingly, some are STILL trying to get their shots in."

Ain't that that the truth! Some, even huge Dawg fans, still insisting he was just a decent QB who just happened to be playing for the best team in the nation. THey, sadly, would even rather point back to the SECC game loss against BAMA in 21 in dicussing him instead of speaking glowingly of everything he did after that where he rose to the occassion so often when the pressure was at it's highest and everything was on the line. Everyone knows losers or even just the merely average and non-exceptional fold when the pressure gets too great, but winners rise above it all. Thanks Stetson!

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 244 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Hopefully, MG has quit writing about him. That was just a total clown show and should be an embarrassment to all dawg fans, Stetson’s teammates and staff." - Eastmandawg

@Eastmandawg - we get it, you don't like MG. Just remember, you bring the clown show everytime you take personal shots at a member of the dawgnation staff. Get some class and quit bringing the hate.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson came to mind quickly. Had other of the QBs been afforded more productive playing time, I would have hesitated. But clearly the QB situation is in flux. One writer sighted Beck against Vandy as good field time...I could have been productive against them. The Oregon blow out as well. I guess being on the field period means something. UGA is again at nearly ground zero regarding QBs. Beck throws a good ball but is he a field general? Quick study? I just don't know. He does not appear as mobile as Gunner or Brock. We really have no way of substantially measuring the future of these QBs..until late spring and beyond even...as far as who starts. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson's experience can't be replaced by any of the QBs we'll have this year. His poise is unlikely to be replicated. And he's proven that his dual-threat physical abilities are much more rate than people give him credit for

But given the talent of his three backups, we may not end up missing him. That's not meant to slight Stetson at all. It's just that whoever is best among Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton is going to be elite from the get-go. I can imagine that whomever wins that competition might end up, say, going to New York as a 2023 Heisman finalist.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Oh, just cut it out, @truthteller. Georgia fans have every right to criticize DawgNation staff writers and disagree with their opinions. @MikeGriffith is a big boy. He can take it as well as he dishes it out. He chose to focus heavily on negatives concerning Bennett and has generally provided unfavorable takes with respect to UGA’s most accomplished quarterback. Mike knows what he is doing and he expects push back.

Edit: PS I like @MikeGriffith, I just dislike his coverage of Bennett, but @MikeGriffith probably likes my passionate disagreement with him as it feeds engagement and clicks for his articles. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think Connor chose to use the word “interesting” due to the continuing doubt among some sports writers and Georgia fans that Bennett was a difference maker for Georgia. At the same time, Connor states his opinion that Bennett’s solid Combine performance likely elevated his draft stock (meanwhile, @MikeGriffith has expressed the opposite opinion).

To me, it is obvious that replacing Bennett is the biggest challenge this year. Could one of the guys still in the QB room prove to be as good or even better than Bennett? Sure (and I hope so), but, based on past history, it is not likely.

We have already become an entitled fan base! 🤣

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure. Of course, Stet is a key cog in the team. I'm just glad we have such a favorable schedule to break in a new QB. My bet is the starting QB position won't be finalized until after the season starts.

I hope we have our starter at the beginning of the season. Multiple QB teams rarely find success.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How is that pick "interesting"? Seems pretty easy.

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it’s interesting because it’s a no-strings, no caveats, but if praise for Stetson… from ESPN, which has cast a good deal of doubt his way over the past few years.