Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How re-opening of transfer portal will impact Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 11,132 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageHow re-opening of transfer portal will impact Georgia football

Saturday isn’t just a big day for the Georgia football program. The Bulldogs will hold their annual spring scrimmage, with G-Day getting started at 4 p.m. ET.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith , you and Conner should have a back room bet. You believe the Dawgs needs a pass catching RB, Conner just stated that UGA will not dip any further into the portal.

im with Conner on this one.

and will Dom hang up his cleats, find a new home or return to the friendly confines of Athens? I think if he stays P5 he will be close to home with GT or Clemson. But would be great at App State.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the right pass catching RB becomes an option why wouldn't you?

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One reason you wouldn't is if we're over the limit on scholarships. But I don't think that'll be a problem.

The O-line and just about all position groups on defense are so deep that there are bound to be players this spring who enter the TP because they can't break into the rotation at UGA but could be starters at most other schools. I'd be surprised if the number of current Dawgs who enter the portal over the next few weeks doesn't top six.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ah, so I was wrong. I thought the portal opened on May 1.

@reddawg1

Do you believe that an elite RB talent would transfer into UGA in order to be a third string pass catcher out of the backfield?

I believe that any RB playing for a lessor school who happens to be good at catching the ball out of the backfield and who sees UGA has a need for that skill set would probably love to play for UGA on the big stage versus remain in anonymity. But hey, even if 99.99 % don't, it only takes just one ammorite? Good try though.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would be really surprised if we would even take a rb. We have 4 great ones and possible 5 plus a commit or 2 in the next year. Right now it is pretty hard to get the #3 rb meaningful carries. Robinsons are both great and I'm afraid we have too many rbs right now. Any of these top 5 could start at half of the division 1 schools. Plus our #6 and 7 guys could play on many teams. So rb is not an issue imo.

Now as far as portal guys, I could see us losing 3 or 4 on defense and 2 or 3 on offense. so 5-7 imo. The one to watch for is our current #2 qb. Not sure we don't lose him in the next 2 weeks. Holding on to him will be a huge 'recruiting' win. Not sure we don't lose an OL and 1 or 2 WRs.

Defense ILB we may lose one plus DL and a secondary guy or 2. All 3 of the guys vying for the other corner spot are starters on 90 percent of the teams out there so I think we lose 1 of the 3.

If we lose less than 5 it will be a miracle.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

I think BVG will stay until Summer. As he should graduate this spring and will be able to transfer without an open portal (if I’m correct about graduate transfers) assuming he even is thinking about leaving

@thadec they recently changed the portal window, nothing to apologize for

@BigDawg888 those numbers should be about right unless the players would prefer a possible championship over playing time but we have seen many choose PT over the past few years and have faired well at their new school.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Great? Really? "considerably above normal or average". The words "great" and "star" are thrown around so liberally these days that their meaning has been skewed/diluted.

Realistically a player cannot be truly great w/o being dependable and available. That excludes KMilton. Since APaul will not be fully available until late in the year that rules him out as being great now too. Someone who has been in school 4 years w/o starting is not great. DEdwards has not been more than a role player. BRob avg'd less than 5 ypc behind the best OL in CFB and had 1 reception (for 2 yrds) in 12 games. Those are not the stat's of a great receiving RB (a need for '23 UGA) let alone a great player. RRob cannot be depended on to be blocker, runner, receiver in year 1. Hence not great.

Does UGA have a need for a receiving RB? Yes. Do they have room? Depends on who leaves next week. Do they dip into the TP? IDK. Depends on who is available. BBowers played some RB in HS. Do you line him up in the backfield when it calls for RB pass? Luckie? McConkey? Lovett? DBell is built like a RB. Can he fill that role? We will all have to watch to see how it shakes out next week.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

The one Stat about B-Rob is a little misleading. He was brought in mostly to help run out the clock. Not really during crucial points of the game. He can be great. And he wasn't behind "the best OL", he was playing behind 2nd-3rd stringers against the opposing "#1s". And I would take edwards over a lot of RBs out there. He is hard to bring down. Which sucks for him this spring having to be on the mend.

@kylnmeg10

Yeh. mop up time with the 2's on the offensive line when the other team knows they don't have to worry about a pass can be challenging for most RB's.

I think the reason some may not think these guys are great is because we do not run the ball like we used to. Just because we do not run it as much doesn't mean the rbs are any less great.

Did Milton look great at the end of last year - yes.

Brob is a bonafide great running back. I think the poster above pointed out that the context of his carries and actually I'm pretty impressed with his ypc considering how he was used.

Not sure how Bobo will continue to use inside zone vs. outside zone runs depending on the running back. Obviously our offensive line is a strength this year so we should be able to do both against most teams but I think we were doing inside zone stuff a lot. Outside of the blocking and running scheme that point of blocking keeps coming up. Now that being said the rb blocking is very important but no one ever says boy that Todd Gurley or Nick Chubb could block. Does anyone discuss Herschel Walker or Garrison Hearsts blocking ability? Very few...

Now as far as the receiving thing goes. Having a running back that can catch the ball is great and the NFL values is a ton. However, that is because in the NFL it is a passing league and the rules changes have made it such over the last 20 years. In college it is still very possible for a quality back to take over a game. Brob is that guy imo and especially with our Oline.

Branson Robinson was the highest rated back in his class out of the guys we have now and he is far and away the best pure rb we have. Easily a 1000-1400 a year guy if we wanted to feed him. In our current scheme he will end up with 400-700 along with the other guys depending on who gets the carries. I think we will see a more traditional running game with Brob who frankly will be unstoppable this year if Bobo makes him the primary runner. And one more thing, he can catch the ball better than some may think.

Never said these guys weren't good. Some with potential to be very good. I like all the UGA RB's. The team lacks the proven receiver out of the backfield a la JCooks or KMcI.

BRob's stats are his stats. Either he wasn't ready to more productive or he wasn't better than the players ahead of him. That is not great. He played behind the #1 OL as much as the #2 OL (w/Mims and Willock). IF he was a great receiving RB (the original speculation about the TP comments) he would've had more than 1 reception in 12 games. The point is calling ANY of the UGA RB's "great" , off their '22 production, is Pollyanna stuff. UGA RB's (not named McIntosh) had 20 total receptions last season.

So you "would take Edwards over a lot of RB's out there"? A lot? Like 51%? Does that make him an average or "great" RB?

The standard for GREAT at RB is very high at UGA.

edited April 2023

That comment is the longest back pedal I think I've seen on Dawgnation.

"We have 4 great ones and possible 5" . 4 or 5 great ones.

Having a RB that can be a productive receiver out of the backfield is a tremendous weapon, and great safety valve, in CFB. UGA has feasted off it in the CKS/CTM era. It is not a luxury. It is a necessity to keep D's guessing and off balance. It is a big tool in the toolbox.

I guess you forgot the last time FU beat UGA killing UGA with wheel routes?

As for BRob we all have high hopes. But that is all they are right now. BRob is a little stiff as a runner and receiver. His running style is short. choppy steps. It takes him time to get to full speed. When he is at full speed he does not have great speed. That is why (along with lack of HS receptions) he dropped from a 5* ranking in HS. He reminds me a lot of DEdwards. Good power. But more of a plodder, battering ram back.

"The NFL is a passing league". Have you been watching CFB?

I guess we can agree to disagree. Branson is a great running back and I think you will see that this year.

He is certainly not a plodder...that is a real insult to the young man. Anyways, Milton when healthy and Branson are the most talented followed by Daijan. Paul will need time coming back from the ACL and RR is still a bit unknown. I think they all could be NFL running backs however we need to feature a couple of them imo. I think Nick Chubb is a good comparison to BRob and Nick may have looked a little stiffer and choppier in his running but it looks like it has paid off pretty good for him.

We can compare notes at the end of the year and see who is right about Robinson. Best wishes.

edited April 2023

Yes we can.

Everyone wants to make the Chubb/Robinson comparison. Comparable in size (Chubb was/is bigger) but not in running style. Chubb is a much more fluid athlete. Also I don't see BRob running a 4.52 40. Chubb had over 1500 yd as a freshman. There are only 2 RB's in UGA history that are in that class.

Remember last preseason when Andrew Paul was getting better reviews than BRob prior to his injury? Paul is a more fluid runner.

But BRob will certainly get his chances this year. Milton has a history of injury. I would expect his touches to be limited. May be limited to mostly receiving as he is the best RB receiver currently on the team. DEdwards will be the workhorse (more experience, better receiver than BRob) . BRob will spell Edwards and may split carries fairly evenly if he even approaches Chubb's talent level.

To me, Elijah Holyfield is the better comparison to BRob.