Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia G-Day Game quarterback priorities for Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton

SystemSystem Posts: 11,095 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia G-Day Game quarterback priorities for Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and his Georgia football staff have an idea of what they’re hoping to see in the G-Day Scrimmage, to the extent most all components are scripted.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, we want a QB that doesn't have to make plays? Or one that is perfectly capable, if need be? How does the best team in the nation not have a QB that can make plays if they need to?

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah. I watched that interview. My guess is that he was tweaking the interviewers.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2023

How did I make this post? Oh well. Ignore it.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QBs are going to have to make plays. Stetson got the hang of it over time. Beck, Brock and Gunner will also master this. QBs are quick studies. They control the offense. Bang for my buck is Brock. He is a more complete QB. Very athletic. Good arm great legs. Mobile. The adminisraton of the game play is the only question, but will have that mastered by fall. He is reping with the ones.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Many of your posts are difficult for knowledgable fans to decipher… this is a prime example. 🤣

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice piece, @MikeGriffith. This is a truly exciting QB battle.

So far, Carson seems to have the edge in passing ability and experience, while Brock excels at mobility and has shown good judgment. At least, that's what I get from Dawgnation and other outlets.

In an offense with speedy receivers, Carson's ability to air it out could be the determining factor. But Brock's ability to avoid hits would surely be an advantage in giving him more time to throw and keeping defenses honest. At the same time, Carson seems to be a better running QB than advertised, and Brock's arm actually seems almost as strong as Carson's.

If forced to guess right now, I'd predict that Vandergriff eventually wins the job; he's got more tools in his box. But I wouldn't bet against Beck either.

Gunner's problem is that he'll only be given a chance if both those guys falter. And it seems that neither will.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Carson has arm talent equal to JT, but JT wasn’t able to overcome a lack of mobility. Carson seems more mobile than JT. But is it enough to offset what BVG brings to the table.

With such a QB Room. It will be OK if one chooses to find the field outside of Stanford stadium.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm pretty optimistic: I could see either Beck having a Mac Jones type season or Vandergriff having a Bo Nix type season.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All three QB's are skilled enough to contribute during the season and all three will. Tomorrow, with KS, expect the unexpected with Connor Stockton showing a lot of "flash"!........Kirby knows the following: This will be the most intently watched, highest viewed spring game in the history of college football....for every coach, and player on Georgia's schedule, it will be mandatory viewing. Every coach and every player with any aspirations of making the playoffs will be watching. Notes will be taken, video copies made and they will be studied and reviewed ad nauseam.....only to conclude.....there ain't a **** thing special the DAWGS are doing but the coaches are the best, the players are the best and they all perform without making many mistakes. After tomorrow, The Dawgs will be living rent free in the minds of every team we face for the competitors who are honest with themselves and those that live in the self illusion La La Land of greatness, they will have a stark and painful awakening come game time....On our way 2 3 N 23!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

There's a reason tall pocket passers (actually 2 reasons) are becoming obsolete (just being replaced?) at QB. 1) there are more athletes than tall pocket passers (with powerful, accurate arms) available to play QB. And the reason there are more athletes needed to play QB than were needed before is that there are more, better athletes playing on D. IF a QB does not have some mobility/escapability their effectiveness is significantly diminished. QB statues are quickly becoming obsolete. The game is evolving as the players evolve.

Not sure I buy your McCarron, Luck, Winston argument . McCarron was not a big armed guy. If he were he'd be playing in the NFL. His passing stat's are very comparable to SBIV their last 2 CFB seasons. SBIV ran for 450 yds , McCarron for very little. Luck had size (6'4" 235 lb) and mobility (4.67 combine 40 - same as SBIV). Even at that size he got beat down in the NFL and decided to retire while he could still walk/talk. The NFL stands for Not For Long if you are an undersized or immobile QB.