Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following 2023 G-Day game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following 2023 G-Day game

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing I can tell you without knowing anything else. Mekhi does not skip legs day.#quadzilla

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RE: "Many will also be interested in how Jordan Hall develops. The talented freshman had a strong spring, though he was mostly held in check on Saturday."

Hall looked pretty disruptive at times to me. He batted down two passes and seemed to do a good job on other plays of stuffing the middle. Admittedly, I was just watching on TV, however.

As for others, I thought the QBs were winners as a position group. Beck was superb, and Gunner exceeded my expectations. Maybe, it wasn't Vandagriff's best day but that was mainly about be rough around the edges on getting the ball out quickly; overall he showed great talent.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Isaiah McKenzie if you blew him up with steroids.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks @reddawg1

A walk-on. Fascinating.

Downside of NIL: you lose guys like Bear Alexander. (Yes, trying to identify guys who are "all in" during the recruiting process versus "I can't make up my mind" and/or "I am after the best deal" is going to have to take priority going forward. This may mean relying more on keeping the top Georgia kids home.)

Upside of NIL: guys like this will be able to sign deals that helps them pay for their education. UGA lost a walk on WR to the transfer portal, Jaylen Johnson, because they offered him a full ride that UGA couldn't give because they were up against the limit. That is a lot less likely to happen in the future, and it can totally transform UGA's approach to the "preferred walk-on" deal. Georgia has way fewer mid-major programs than most other states - Texas, Ohio and Florida have enough to create their own conferences - so that means that they should be able to stockpile guys like this.

• Options

Mews may be the second or third fastest guy on the team (after Arian and Lovett.

• Options

I'm all for these young men being able to share in the wealth that their hard work helps create --- although I do admit that I like it more when good players are coming to Georgia instead going away.

The problem I have with Bear's decision is that leaving is unlikely to be in his own long-term interest. Mims ultimately understood that staying was in his interest; if he plays well he'll be another first round OT from Georgia in 2024. Burton failed to understand that and missed out on being the go-to WR on pass-heavy offense.

But Bear's mistaken judgment is even more obvious. My main point is that it just works out that it will very seldom make sense for a first-string or heavy rotational player to transfer out of a place like Georgia -- particularly if their in a position group that has patterned previous success as developing NFL players, and particularly if they're just underclassmen.

Alexander was the heir apparent to an incredible run of first round draft picks from the Georgia DL. However impressive Hall has been this spring, it's hard to imagine that he'd supplant Bear on the depth chart. We would have heard some buzz about such a startling development. He was "The Guy" at DT!

Yes, he'll play more at a place like USC. But he was probably less likely to get injured at Georgia (given the DL's heavy rotation) and was certainly more likely to be drafted after finishing his career here.

Even looking at the short-term financial interest (NIL), he's going from a high-profile position -- the Designated DL Disruptor on the national champs with the best defense in all of college football -- to a riskier proposition on a rebuilding defense.

IMO this move makes sense only if playing time this fall was his sole consideration. And if that's the case, then he or the people he's listening to are being very shortsighted.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points. Bear is a talent and only time will tell if this was a good move for him.

I have no issues with players making money and think that is a good thing and long overdue. I do think that the rules need to be tweaked. I think they were this last year and that should cut down on some of this. I think you have to get your degree or a waiver to transfer the 2nd time now. Not sure the waiver really will do anything as you will just end up with a lawyer Justin Fields situation.

If the kid doesn't want to be here let him go. The same thing for people in any organization. if they want to leave let em leave whether for family, girlfriends, money, family or fame at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

I think we will be ok but hopefully JJ and Big B can grow up fast. We need them to if we are going to make another run for the title.

• Options

You and I are in sync, BigDawg888. Transferring is their right, but there ought to be some appropriate cost that slightly disincentivizes it. Then again, maybe, I just feel that way because I preferred it as a fan when you their was more consistency on the squads.

At any rate, Bear isn't a good model, because IMO he didn't make a rational decision.

• Options
    BogartDawgBogartDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Regarding all the Bear transfer talk below…. Y’all are assuming he’s leaving for NIL or greener pastures. Have y’all considered he was actually encouraged to leave? Do y’all think there’s a possibility he had a bad attitude throughout spring camp, was confronted by a teammate leader, got into a fistfight with that teammate, and was asked to transfer?