Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Checking in on future SEC foe Texas: Can Arch Manning help awaken sleeping giant

SystemSystem Posts: 10,713 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageChecking in on future SEC foe Texas: Can Arch Manning help awaken sleeping giant

Texas football is back …. for one more year in the Big 12 before the Longhorns will join the SEC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ewers named the starter for 2023.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I fully agree with you however it was based on the contract of the home & home as they would not be able to fulfill the 2nd game due to OK joining the Sec. Bama/Texas is the 2nd game.

im not sure why the contract just couldn’t have been renegotiated

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reason the conference gave was that they already played the first game in the series before formal expansion announcement. Our second game of the series was not scheduled until 25 I think.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, it would've still been good to just change it to a neutral site kind of game. Would much rather watch that than ball state.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 171 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man I feel sorry for J.T. Daniels. He's turned into the pass around package QB. Going to his 4th team. Years from now he'll be sitting around at some party and someone will ask, "So hear you played football where did you play college football?" When he responds, "Well lets see I was at USC, then UGA, then West Virginia and then Rice." Some other guy will lean over and tell his buddy, "Man this guy has some imagination."

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best I can figure, it's because the 2nd Bammer game will happen before Texas joins the conference and only the first UGa-OK would have happened beforehand.. I'm also guessing that re-negotiating a single game would have been more complex than I might imagine. And getting a neutral site could have been difficult. Where would they go?

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The longhorns did look pretty bad against TCU. You have to wonder whether TX took them a bit too lightly. That said, it really doesn't work to use the transitive property against them in comparing to the Dawgs. TCU beat Michigan and Michigan thrashed the buckguys. I did see a TCU podcast (similar to Dawgnation?) predicting a possible TCU win over UGa, using that logic chain prior to the Natty.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MontanaDawg Because it's the return game in the home-and-home --- Alabama played there last. year.

In UGA's case, they were scheduled to play the away game at OU in 2023, but the return game wasn't until 2031, I believe, --- which would be an SEC game , not a non-conference return trip. So it's not apples to apples.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still waiting for someone to explain why it matters whether the second game is a conference or non-conference matchup. In other words, still waiting for someone to explain why the whole thing had to be canceled.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What was the purpose of this article? What do J.T. Daniels and Jermaine Burton have to do with Arch Manning having once been a UGA recruit? Kid had five (5) pass attempts in the Longhorns' Spring game and is not even currently listed as the second-string QB. I'm not saying that it's not worth noting somewhere what Arch Manning did because of his family name and his recruitment. I get that. But this particular story was a nothing burger because his Spring game's stats were pretty much a nothing burger. You should write stories when there is something relevant to say, not just for simple musings. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@E_Roc TV money. The SEC doesn't want to give Fox a game and not get one back. If there was a return game before OU joined the SEC, as with the Tex-Alab game this year, that would have worked fine. But the return game wasn't until 2031, so it's not apples to apples, because Tx will be an SEC team by then. Follow the dollars ... this was a TV money decision. It works out fine for Georgia.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As expected, I didn't see a lot of impressive things from Manning. Yes, I know, only a few months on campus, Red Shirting, etc but I'm still thinking he is more of a 4 star QB with a 5 star name. Potential? Sure. Once-in-a-generation? Nah.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Arch Manning will be the back up to Quinn Ewers at best, if not the 3rd string QB..maybe next year little Archie. I see average talent, with a known last name, will still get major attention..Arch is living proof of that.