Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 5-star TE commitment Landen Thomas flips to Florida State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,491 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageBREAKING: 5-star TE commitment Landen Thomas flips to Florida State

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep has the latest with 5-star Landen Thomas. He ranks as the nation’s No. 1 TE and the No. 24 overall prospect for 2024 on the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarjackCarjack Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Let them go if they’re just too self-centered or afraid to face real competition! Steel sharpens steel and competition is what sharpens those who truly want to be the very best more than those who just want immediate playing time assurances.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So much for “commitment.” Go get someone who really wants to be a Dawg!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These kids need to go where they want to go as it just might slow down the portal hopping a little.

All of them still have to earn their playing time and put in the work for future success

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

For all of you guys that live and die on what 18 year kids that are a legend in their own minds say and do, let me throw down some old school Richard Marx on ya.

He's actually singing about Hollywood but he might as well be singing about indecisive kids and modern day recruiting.

The words that they say

Don't mean nothin'

These games that people play

No, it don't mean nothin'

No victim, no crime

It don't mean nothin'

Till you sign it on the dotted line

Always been my motto, I believe it when I see the LOI in Kirby Smarts hands

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With the portal and NIL, this won't slow down anytime soon. It's a money game these days. Whoever offers the most. And for some kids, better get it in college, isn't guaranteed in the pros. With FSU, it could not be about NIL. Since there's limits on the NIL down there. Unless it's different between FSU and UF.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think a lot of people want to play for a National Championship but playing for Kirby is like joining the Marines. Some of these guys may seem tough but had rather join the route of playing for the national guard.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The kid made a decision to play for Georgia and then, he changed his mind. Why disparage him for that? Just like UGA has players on its team at this very moment who were once firmly committed to other programs, changed their minds, and became Dawgs. And guess what? We accepted them with open arms. I look at a kid who changes his mind eight months before even signing a LOI as in a different category than someone who was on the team already and decided to transfer simply because their ego couldn't handle being second- or third- string (even though that's what they might deserve). Who knows? Before it's all said and done, he might flip back. Or, we may not care if we ever hear about him again. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Win some, Lose some. Just keep recruiting hard, great players will continue to come to UGA. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2023

The man knew his days of playing for UGA where a long way off... Have fun playing in a weak ass ACC conference though... Only the elite play in the SEC...the rest only wish they could play for championships...FACTS

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read your post, as it got my attention. So, I went back and read every post.

Guess what??? Not one "disparaging remark" toward Thomas or Alexander...or, any other player.

The remarks are primarily in the positive or neutral category, with respect to the Dawgs strength and confidence in the TE Group at UGA, Kirby's recruiting prowess, and effects of the TP and NIL.

Nothing disparaging here. Lol...you must be like one of those Mothers, that hollers out the door, for the kids to "behave themselves"...even though they're napping on the porch...just to seem like your on top of it. Lol

It's waaayyyy too early in the recruiting process, to get in a twist over any of this. It could change 5 or 10 times, between now and December. The biggest thing to remember, is...in the Kirby Smart Program...no single player is "equal to or greater than"....the team. Some guys can't handle that. Doesn't make em "bad players", though. It makes em, "bad potential Bulldogs".

It's like betting on a "dog race"....just because your dawg is in the back of the pack on the 1st turn...you don't tear up your tote ticket and go home. It's a long race with 4 turns...and our dawg is "a closer". Lol...literally and figuratively.

Kirby's got this. I don't concern myself with the kids that...knowing what UGA is, knowing who Kirby and the rest of his Staff are, knowing the follow-on success of the vast majority of UGA Graduates...still decide not to come to Athens.

That's fine. I don't blame em, if they're not prepared for the intensity of playing for a demanding taskmaster in a high-end Program. That level of commitment isn't for everybody. Better to "quit" now, than later...after thousands of manhours and dollars go into grooming, training and education.

Personally....I didn't think Bear Alexander was a good fit for UGA, last year. With all that busines in Texas, then "having to go to IMG" to play his final season??? None of that made any sense to me. There are ways to get around the "transfer rule" (in High School), Alexander blamed for his troubles.

"Bear" had changed my mind by the end of the CFPCG and the 2022 Season. I was sold. I thought he was all-in. I thought I misread him. Lol...then he goes and enters the Portal, just like I thought would happen. Reading kids in today's world is a valuable talent, if you have it...and Kirby has it in spades.

I honestly don't know how you could manage UGA's roster any better. There are coaches all across the Country....in all team sports...that are sitting up and taking notes on Kirby Smart's construction and operation of the UGA Football Program and coaching staff.

Even though he almost won a Natty 2 years into his tenure...he was on the 5 year plan. Build a sustainable Championship Program within 5 years...and, unlike every Coach that strives to do it (Jimbo?...Mullin?)...Kirby had a plan coming in...and, actually "executed it". A plan that he started developing over a decade ago, when he realized he was going to take over in Athens sooner or later.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

When the first poster on this article calls a 17 year old kid he's never met before "self-centered" and "afraid" if that's not being disparaging then you should probably invest in a dictionary. Then phrases like "Only the elite play in the SEC" is just laughable. His hometown is only an hour from Tallahassee. Maybe he has a sick family member or family situation he doesn't want to reveal. It's not always because the kid isn't "prepared for the intensity of playing for a demanding taskmaster" 🙄🙄🙄 or a quitter as you labeled him out to be. If he wasn't Bulldog material then why was Kirby recruiting him in the first place?

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2023

Do what you have to do Kid it's your life. With that being said, back to back go Dawgs