Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia defensive back Marcus Washington Jr. enters the transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,539 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia defensive back Marcus Washington Jr. enters the transfer portal

Georgia defensive back Marcus Washington Jr. becomes the latest Georgia player to enter the transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He has 4 years of eligibilty left. THere is no need to transfer out with that much time left unless a) they're not happy with him or b) he's not happy with them, thinks he should be higher in the pecking order than he is or c) he has had his eyes opened to the level of talent he has to compete against and he realizes he may never see the field at UGA. If that's the case then perhaps its been intimated to him he should look around. I don't confess to knowing how any of that getting your scholarships in line stuff works, just surmising.

• Options
    BogartDawgBogartDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

The Dogs have a ton of very good defensive backs. Despite getting a few more reps this spring and presumably going forward, perhaps Washington Jr. simply saw the writing on the wall that he would behind the new 23 signees and his 22 cohort on the depth chart. Every time someone transfers out these days, Dog fans on this site are puzzled, but nobody ever considers that the player might have been encouraged to do so by the coaches. In fact, there’s a very good chance that’s what happened with Bear Alexander, despite a lot of fans just assuming it was because he wanted more NIL money

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"the kid could've used another year of physical maturity before attempting to compete at the SEC level."

In a sense, that's what he got by redshirting at Georgia -- plus a lot of elite training. The thing missing for him is that he won't be able to compete in the SEC. It'll be interesting to see where he ranks in the transfer portal. No reason to think he won't be able to hitch on with a good program, where he might be second string and heir apparent at safety or nickel.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2023

@JTM22

Yes, only one QB can play at a time, but UGA only takes one QB a year, and in 2023 didn't even take that. BVG knows that if Carson Beck throws for 4000 yards this season he enters the 2024 draft, and with all the talent that UGA will have on offense that is far more likely to happen than not. As for Gunner Stockton, where is a redshirt freshman 6'1" 210 lb. 4 star dual threat spread QB going to get guaranteed playing time in 2023 except a Group of 5 school? And even the better Group of 5 schools often have upperclassman 3 star recruits and/or other P5 transfers starting. For example, last year UCF and USF played former starters at Ole Miss and Baylor at QB. So he would have to go to a school in one of the lesser Group of 5 conferences like the Sun Belt or MAC, and even there choose a spread option program in order to start right away. Yes, Ben Roethlisberger went from 4 years running the spread at a MAC school to the Steelers, but Roethlisberger was 6'5", 240 lbs with an NFL arm.

Also, while multiple DBs do start, it really isn't helpful to view them as interchangeable: safeties are different from CBs. Even among safeties, free safeties are different from strong safeties and rovers (basically the STAR position). At schools that don't reel in 4 and 5 star DBs every year then sure: the guys with the most ability wind up on the field, especially at safety but UGA isn't one of those programs.

Washington has Malaki Starks, Javon Bullard, Smoke Bouie and Tykee Smith in front of him at the positions that he is likely to play. All of them have at least 2 years of eligibility left, though whether Bullard and Smith actually take them remains to be seen (Starks and Bouie are underclassmen who have no choice). Sure, he could stick around, but UGA is just going to keep reeling in top 100 DBs. His finding a spot where he is more likely to get on the field - basically everywhere in college football this side of Alabama and LSU - makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All true. But he gave up a year of showing his game at the CFB level as a mature player by essentially taking his RS year as a HS SR. We could debate whether taking every practice rep as the star of his HS team vs taking a few 4th team reps at UGA was more beneficial. Players need to play. Certainly the UGA weight room and nutrition is better. Beyond football he lost the best year of a young person's HS experience.

When I think of young players reclassifying and coming in early I always think back to UGA vs Boise St in '11. I was pretty confident. Then I read that Boise St had something like 25 5th yr guys. They opened up a big can of Whup A** on the UGA youngsters that day.

Bottom line: In his haste to get to UGA he wasn't as mature and ready to compete as he could've been. Now he is not at UGA anymore.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Deon got the fans turned out in Boulder on a cold snowy day. Of course they’re used to it. But looks like he will make them relevant st some point.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Aguero must look awesome…

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Given Georgia is over the 85 limit and will possibly have a transfer or 2 coming in, I suspect there are some quiet behind the scenes conversations going on to encourage a few departures. And generally speaking, the departures will have better opportunities at other schools where they can get on the field. So far, no big deal.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

By all appearances, Alexander was poised to take on a big role in the Georgia defense. On what are you basing this idea that there's "a very good chance" that the coaches encouraged him to leave?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So far the only player to enter the TP that really surprised me has been Bear Alexander. NO disrespect to the others that have left. And I wish them all well as long as it’s no harm to our Dawgs aspirations.

But they either had guys in front of them plural or some one just as good or better that they didn’t feel they could push out of the way for Quality playing time. So can’t blame them for seeking greener pastures.

Bear is still a bit of a mystery to me with his transfer. I thought he was viewed as an Up and Coming player that would more than apt start Or be second in rotation. I admit he caught me off guard with his leaving.

I hope for our Dawgs sake that the only ones that leave here on out will be those buried on the depth chart. And in that situation we as Dawgs fans can’t or shouldn’t feel betrayed. If they gave their very all and someone in front of them was just flat out better, then they had little choice to continue their career.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bear's departure is surprising because it's the only one that doesn't seem to be a rational choice -- unless he cares about playing time this season more than his longterm future.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best Wishes to him.