Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL Draft 2023: Live updates, picks, analysis for Georgia football players

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Young had Metchie and Williamson his 1st year, and a better OL than Stroud. Take away his top receivers and replace them with Jermaine Burton and inexperienced WR's and Young struggled, so he had to make plays out of nothing. That won't happen in the nfl. Overall, NFL defenses are a lot bigger, and faster, at almost every position. Unlike college where 5 or 6 may be NFL caliber on a team, ALL he will face now is the best of the best from colleges. I agree, Tua is a lot bigger than Bryce, and we've seen what's happened to him. If Young takes those kind of hits, it won't end up in his favor.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@1SICemDAWGS1

Bryce Young was sacked 39 times in 2021. No idea why you have a high regard for that OL. Also, in 2023 Young had 3300 yards in 12 games. Oh yeah, his completion % was 67% in 2021 and dropped to 64.5% in 2022. His rating went from 167.5 to 163. His yards per attempt: 8.9 to 8.8 (10 to 9.9 adjusted).

Yards per game? Yes, it did drop by 50 from 2022 to 2021, the only area where there was a real dropoff. But still: he had 277 yards per game. Stetson Bennett IV? 275 yards per game in 2022! And SB IV had Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington to get the ball to (not to mention Ladd McConkey). As well as a MUCH BETTER offensive line. Even the RB situation was better in Athens. Where UGA was at least 4 deep at RB, with Alabama there was a massive dropoff after Gibbs, and only 2 viable RBs on the whole roster. Another thing: 32 TDs (in 12 games) for Young versus 27 TDs (in 15) for Bennett. Where Young had 28 TDs during the regular season, SB IV had 16 (as he threw for 11 in the SEC title game and in the playoff).

So the claim that Young "struggled" in 2022 doesn't hold up when you compare his numbers against the guy who finished #4 in Heisman voting. And it is a key reason why Young was drafted over Stroud, who also had a much better supporting cast. As highly as I think of Stroud, it is difficult to imagine Young basically getting shut out for most of the second half. Even after Harrison Jr. was knocked out of the game, Stroud still had Egbuka and Fleming. Young didn't have anyone anywhere near that good in the title game after Metchie went down, and his OL wasn't nearly as good as Ohio State's either.

Were Young 6'1" instead of 5'10", Stroud would never have been considered in Young's class.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Honestly, I could care less who Young or Stroud plays for, I won't be watching, I'm nott a pro football fan at all. The NFL=no fun leauge. However Young does play the most protected position on the field, so he may have a decent NFL career, only time will tell. You so much as sneeze on a NFL QB now and it's a 15 yard penalty. I doubt any QB today would have lasted when defenses were actually allowed to hit the QB. Mean Joe Green, Mike Singletary, Too Tall Jones, Ronnie Lott and others would have had a field day with Young if he had played back when it was a real man's game.

• Options

Just turned on the draft out of boredom..at pick 60 and Washington and Ringo are both still available. Even Tyrique Stevenson was selected before Ringo.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ringo isn’t a surprise but the Big 0 is creating huge value for whom ever drafts him. Should have been pick early 2nd.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot of what you say, is true. IMO...the quarterback position is going "the way of the Running Back position".

As long as "College Teams" and "The NFL" are barreling down the road of "The Running Quarterback"....that position will be extremely vulnerable. Teams will soon have to carry 2 "Starting Quarterbacks", if they intend on going to the playoffs. Same as they do, at RB.

A running QB's longevity is cut in half automatically, cause he will be carrying the rock, just like a running back. I just don't think that's a good strategy or business model.....or, sustainable.

QBs are not physically developed, in the same way other positions on the team, are developed....including RBs. There ARE exceptions, like Cam Newton and Steve McNabb. Where are they playing, again? How many Super Bowls?

Lol...meanwhile two of the best pocket passers in the game, Manning and Brady, played "Winning Football" well into their 30's and 40's. The pendulum of the "Football Gods" WILL swing back to the "pocket passer"...more likely sooner, than later....IMO.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Dude...how do you leave Bill Stanfill or Dick Butkus....or Claude Humphrey, out of that post. Lol...if those guys got a shot at some of these powder puffs in the backfield today, and they'd kill em. I think Jim Brown is the only one that escaped the pre-70's NFL unharmed.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking like Washington should have stayed in school!

• Options
    edited April 2023

I only named a few lol I could have gone on and on lol Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Claude Humphrey, Thomas Davis.. get the picture? Lol

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK I’m a Dawgs homer right down to the dawg gone bone. I don’t watch the NFL. And I’m sure not a football expert, but some ( Allot) of the picks these picks being made by these NFL folks are to me absolutely crazy !!

I don’t get them at all. NOT just because I’m a Dawgs fan but the smartest picks I’ve seen so far is by the Philly Eagles. Players have to gell together and be on the same page whether it’s college or the pros. Philly picking guys that have played together is a smart move in my opinion.

The Falcons have a TON of talent in their own back yard and seem totally blind to it !! And that’s Why they will remain the Losers that they are !! Actually it would be punishment to see one of our Dawgs go to that career ending joint !! Go Dawgs !!

P.S. Which ever team gets Stetson will have a Diamond in the rough !! If they will be willing to put some work and Patience into him, he Will pay off, especially in the long term.

• Options
    edited April 2023

@1SICemDAWGS1 @BigDawg61 Tommy Nobis ( probably spelled his name wrong) Lol !! And Reggie White. Also though I’m not a Vikings fan but the Purple People Eaters to !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

On drafting guys that played together in college: agree. Jacksonville did that with Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne, and the two worked great together this year to get that team back to the playoffs.

On the Falcons' aversion to UGA - and Georgia Tech - players: agree also. Really makes no sense and it has never worked out for them.

@My_Dawg_Ryan

Ringo too.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Just like j sawyer last year. Now the chargers have a gem and are very happy he slid down the draft so far

The big 0 to the Steelers is a great landing spot!!!

• Options
    edited April 2023

@thadec Yep. If for no other reason but fan attendance of fans that are either UGA or GT fans and Falcons fans at the same time. I’d think it’d surely boost their attendance ratings. Agree about Lawrence and Entienne being together, they already had established chemistry.

In my humble opinion the Falcons haven’t made a true premier, really stand out from the others pick, since Julio Jones !! I mean he Did make a truly significant impact for their game. I haven’t kept up with them but their picks in recent years seem to be sleepy.

• Options
    edited April 2023

"the Falcons haven’t made a true premier, really stand out from the others pick, since Julio Jones"____navydawg

You know why???? Cause EVERY player the Falcons get...is an "impact player". Lol...beats going in the stands and getting some of the Fans to fill out your roster...like the old days.

Julio stood out...because the Falcons needed a deep threat target, to take advantage of Ryan's arm...and, he was the best that had come along, in a while. It wasn't too long after the "Matt Ryan Splash". You know the guy that was slingin' it all over the field and, the Falcon "franchise QB".

Mike Smith built his team, from the QB--down. It looks like Arthur Smith is doing it the other way around. But, he started out with a whole lot less, than either Smith or Dan Quinn. So...maybe he's doing it right...for now.

But, next year....I expect em to make a playoff run and a Big Splash in the 2024 draft....by going after Caleb Williams.

You know...there's a lot of people in the league, right now laughing their butt off at the "Anthony Richardson Splash Pick". Lol...that's ALL it was, to placate a disillusioned and unhappy fanbase. Lmao....wait till they see what that "Big Name QB" does on the field. You think they're unhappy NOW??? Just wait...they're gonna need a calculator to keep up with the turnovers.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kinda highlights how much Nick has fallen in his “evaluation” and “development” of talent, doesn’t it!?

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited April 2023

i wish Ringo all the success in the NFL. Will make a great and very fast safety. I’ve watched enough film analysis of his vision and hips to understand that this “slide” isn’t unexpected.

he was a great player at UGA, but if you recall the Tenn game, Coach Smart did not let him cover their best receiver.

Many scouts say he is a CB/Safety combo. Great physical traits.

I expect the Texans or colts to jump on him early 4th — my guesses can’t be any worse than those highly paid ESPN pundits. So eagles traded the Texans to snag ringo. 🔥🔥

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not his hips they're concerned about. It's between his ears. I'm sure I'm not the only one who always thought there was something sort of oddly unemotional about Kelee's facial countenenance. Not going all psychiatrist on him, just a casual observation. Same sort of thing with James Cook, not every body is a ra-ra expressive type of guy.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, the states of Pennsylvania and California appreciate the Dawg talent while everyone else seems to pick unproven players. Washington and Nolan Smith are absolute steals and will be household names.

I am quite serious. If the Eagles starting lineup starts featuring Dawgs, I will actively start watching their games and rooting for them.

FU Falcons. You deserve to lose. They won't pick a Georgia player whether we were ranked 15th nor returning NC. That's no coincidence, that's ego.