Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers from the 2023 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,570 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers from the 2023 NFL Draft

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Fans"? Why the quote marks? I'm definitely a falcon fair weather fan, though the "fair weather" ( "ironic" quote marks) has been pretty scarce over the years. That said, I know plenty of Atlanta area residents who followed the falcons but are now pretty staunch Bulleagle fans.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

The RB from Texas the Falcons selected will be done in 3 to 5 years. Max

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOSER.....The Atlanta Falcons.....Like your backyard is the Permian Basin and you insist on driving golf carts, apparently Arthur Blank's business genius does not translate to Professional Football.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You are being way too kind to the imbecilic Falcons. They are owned by a moron who cares more about being woke than winning a Superbowl. Dawg fans would go to Falcon games if they had a strategy that would include some players from the University of Georgia.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've got to get me one a shirt with something like that on it. I wonder if it's even possible to get officially licensed gear from a mashup of NCAA and NFL.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

Probably. And that's fine. Just long enough to complete his rookie contract. As one NFL GM has said many times: "with RBs, it's not the first contract that gets you, it's the second." No one drafts a RB expecting them to last much longer than the average (3 years). Get Bijan's best, while on rookie money, and move on.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carter was taken in the first round, but I would argue that he DID slide a little bit. By many accounts (not just Mel Kiper's) he was considered the best overall player in the draft before all of his legal issues came to light. Had it not been for that, there was a STRONG possibility that he would have been taken number one overall, but certainly would have been in the top 3. Being selected 9th, and going to the Eagles, is still great. But his issues scared away some teams. I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan, though, so I still won't cheer for the Eagles as a team, but I'm certainly rooting for all the Dawgs there to do well.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent article.

I'd say all of DawgNation won the NFL draft, beginning with Kirby.

Also, on the fence recruits won because they have even more reasons to pick Athens, Kirby, and the Dawgs. Millions of reasons.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Falcons will always be losers. Blank was a visionary in business, but a not as a NFL owner. It's a joke how many times the Falcons pass on UGA players, and then the Super bowl is full of UGA players. From the bottom of my heart, I wish they would leave Georgia and go somewhere else. Maybe we could get a decent franchise. They are snakebit.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So Conner - You think Stetson will definitely be the Rams’ backup QB. While that’s what Dawg fans hope will be the case, imo it’s not a certainty. You may have inside information. If so, would you mind explaining how you know, or at least appear to know, that Stetson is definitely going to be the backup QB for the Rams. I assume your explanation involves more than “ he was a fourth found draft pick, etc. Jake Fromm Eva’s a fifth round draft pick and wasn’t the backup his first year if I remember correctly. Thanks for any inside info you might have and are willing to share.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry for the typo. Meant to say Jake was a fifth round….

• Options

I grew up in the suburbs of DC. I remember the old days. Sonny Jurgensen perfecting the jump pass because his line gave him so little time to drop back, Vince Lombardi's one season, George Allen and the Over-the-hill gang. Good times. Then Joe Gibbs' years, all those Superbowls... sweet.

• Options

Competitor podcast had a screen grab of a tee shirt company that had one. should be findable.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am right there with you! I grew up a huge pro fan, and in the old days it was just difficult to like the Eagles. Putting bounties on opposing players, occasional "dirty play" on the field, regular dirty play in the stands... just not a team a non-local could easily like. Now, even before this year's draft, it's a whole different culture and mentality under Roseman... I liked it! Then you add some more high-talent, high-character Dawgs... DVR set to Eagles all this coming season :)

Echoing others, this was really a great article. My favorite line? "The haters and losers — of which there are many — were proven wrong"... I know this was said about SBIV, but it applies to so many others this past year, and not just Dawgs. Amazing what a little positivity and faith can do!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

STETSON BENNETT....LMAO....Keep denying what your eyes are clearly showing you. The kid can flat out play...and, apparently I'm not the only one that sees it.

Go Eagles!

Go Rams!

Go Git 'em Pittsburgh!

Hallelujah to the Georgia Bulldogs! You made me an NFL Fan...once again...fresh-anew. Lol

• Options

That doesn't much, matter if it helps them get to the Super Bowl, does it?

I think Robinson is exactly what the Birds and Smith's offense need, to go with Patterson and Algiers, in the backfield. He reminds me a lot, of William Andrews in the early '80's.....one of the 2 best backs in Falcon history, IMO...the other, being Jamaal Anderson, in '99.

Atlanta will have the best running game in the NFC, this year. If they have a defense to go with it...look out Playoffs and possibly Super Bowl...here come the Falcons.

The game is changing back to what it once was. What was old is new again...running the football and defense. Quarterbacks cost wayyy too much, to let em run with the ball, like they did in College and it's getting tougher and tougher to keep WRs healthy.

FYI...the Falcons just signed 6 players to UFA contracts...including Jones, an LSU LB.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Carter DID slip...about 8 spots...because Chicago choked. The Combine is what spooked them in the end. That...and, they were already a little worried, with regard to the rumored "Character issues".

That's according to an interview I read, with their GM, in the Chicago Tribune. He also talked about why they went with the Vols OT. They are still trying to build a culture there and didn't want to take a chance on bringing someone in that could disrupt that.

Personally...I think he's full of it. Their HC and OC pressured him into bringing in a lockdown tackle, to protect Justin Fields. A brand new GM and losing 10 of their last 10 games...is really what had them second guessing themselves.

What I don't get, is....Bears had the #9 pick after trading down from #1...Eagles had the #10 pick....why trade spots, if they knew their guy wasn't gonna get picked at #9. I get why the Bears wanted to trade down. The Eagles gave Chicago their 2024 4th round pick to move up one spot. Why? Curious.

If the Eagles thought the Bears were gonna pass on Carter...which they seemed to indicate by trading down from 1 to 9...why bother with a trade? What's really funny, is that Detroit, like the Jags, in the film "Draft Day"...followed their lead, and passed on him, too. The Lions are dealing with a locker room culture issue, as well.

What can I say..."no balls...no blue chips". Shoulda' took a chance on a guy that Kirby Smart saw fit to have in HIS locker room.

LOL...I can hear the phone call between the Bears and Lions' GMs, now. It probably went down, a lot like that movie, with Chicago having a first year GM. A rookie got schooled, because he doubted his instincts. Kevin Costner's character lives in Philly.

The biggest hit on Carter...was his Combine performance. He was out of shape and the Bears wanted a guy in their locker room that had "no quit". They left the Combine with a bad taste in their mouth and they just couldn't afford to risk it.

It was noted by all of the NFL attendees...and, more particularly, Chicago's coaches...that Carter would've tapped out long before he did, if it weren't for Nolan Smith egging him on. Smith was in his ear, fanning him and pushing him. Guess where Smith is today. Lol

Oh well...Their loss, is Carter and Roseman's gain. They've gotta play against him, now. And, I can't wait for that game. Justin Fields might want to develop a little injury and sit that one out. Lol

Carter is in an absolute dream scenario for ANY former CFB player....playing with 4 former Brothers (5 counting Swift) on a Super Bowl Contender. And, as it turns out...Bennett's in a dream situation, too.