Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dylan Raiola should help Georgia offense thrive against tougher SEC schedule

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageDylan Raiola should help Georgia offense thrive against tougher SEC schedule

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just too much HYPE about this kid. The other QB's already in the program for multiple years are better than him now and will be when he gets on campus. I am going to make a big assumption that if Beck plays lights out and is a first rounder in the 2024 draft, then Vandergriff is QB1 in 2024 based on the reports that he's in consideration for QB1 in 2023. 2025 or 2026 may be the earliest Raiola gets on the field IF he stays and IF he's as good as the reports say. I hope he is everything people say but he will need time to develop and unlike the perfect storm Jake Fromm had where he was able to develop while playing, this current QB room is exponentially better than what Fromm was in as a Freshman. Barring injury or the portal, QB's at UGA will have to develop with a few years of practice before they hit the field.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's why Kirby wanted him. For all the hype. Trevor Lawrence took over mid-season a freshman over a QB that had led Clemson to the playoffs the year before and won a national championship. Stop dogging the kid until you see what he's really made of. He might be better than advertised

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Barring injury or the portal, QB's at UGA will have to develop with a few years of practice before they hit the field." KBP

@KBP - No way a kid like Raiola sits on the bench for a few years. If that is his reality, he will be hitting the transfer portal. The loser in all of this is most likely Gunner Stockton. Surprising since Bobo once recruited him to South Carolina. Beck is probably a one year and then NFL, same with BVG. GS will have to make some changes.

• Options

@CClayC88

Exactly where did I dog Raiola in my post? I seriously doubt Kirby wanted him because of hype. No kids have been more hyped than when Ewers went to Ohio State with the expectation of beating out CJ Stoud and then Manning to beat Ewers out at Texas. Too much hype sets players up for failure. Dabo Swinney probably should have started Lawrence from the beginning because clearly Kelly Bryant was not good enough to lead a major Power 5 team even after he left Clemson and there's no comparison between the QB talent Clemson had after Lawrence to what is in Athens after Bennett.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been to the future and this is what I saw:

• Beck in '23: 4800 yards passing, 37 TDs, 8 interceptions, #12 draft pick in '24
    • Vandagriff '24: 4200 yards passing, 28 TDs, 5 interceptions, plus 400 yards rushing, #12 draft pick in '25
    • Raiola '25: 4900 yards passing, 39 TDs, 9 interceptions, plus 250 yards rushing, won't qualify for draft until '26

There you go! Oh, and all those years will be natty years.

How's that for rat poison? 😁

• Options

@truthteller,

I would be surprised if Raiola is QB1 in 2024. It's hard to comprehend that he as a true freshman will be better than Vandagriff who by the evidence that we've seen on G-Day is no slouch. It's just hard for a true freshman QB to beat out a good QB with experience. It's like David Greene and DJ Shockley. Shockley had considerably more talent than Greene but Greene was good enough to hold him off and I think the biggest issue was Greene was already practicing against college players for two years before Shockley got to campus. Experience matters.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KBP

The comment about hype was sarcasm. Loosen up man. Experience can matter but when the coaches know they have a player for only three years then talent matters more. Not everybody wants to be Stets and be in college till they are pushing 26

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. I remember Stafford's freshman year and the number of picks and bad decisions he made. The rush to be the starter and to heck with team goals that year because this kid has to start now. I rather not sacrifice team goals just to see a Raiola start his 2nd year. If the scenario you described happens I would much rather give the ball to Griff who will have had 3 years in the system and know the offense inside and out.

Can Raiola be patient like DJ Shockley or will he pull a Justin Fields if he doesn't start next year as a Freshman? I hope he can be patient but nowadays who knows. He seems like a great kid who would wait a year.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even Beck said he expected to start his freshman year. I doubt it's no different with Raiola. He will expect to start but if he can't I'm guessing he will be willing to wait one year as Manning is doing(apparently)at Texas. I seriously doubt that after waiting a year that if he wasn't looking like top dog for the 25 season that he would stay on with UGA.

Whether he ever starts a day at UGA I'm thinking it's a win/win for UGA either way. Either he fights his way to the top or someone else is just better, can't go wrong either way, as long as the coaches are making right choices and not making a mistake like they did when letting SB transfer to a Junior College.