Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Looking back at Kirby Smart’s history with previous 5-star quarterbacks

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageLooking back at Kirby Smart’s history with previous 5-star quarterbacks

Kirby Smart picked up a massive recruiting win on Monday when he landed a commitment from quarterback Dylan Raiola. The 5-star quarterback is the No. 1 overall prospect in the cycle for the 2024 recruiting class.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

You didn’t have to write an article about it…it could have just been 1 sentence and said…Kirby smart history with 5 star QBs is not good!

• Options
    JoseDawgJoseDawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

…or you could say that the 5-Star QB’s we’ve signed haven’t lived up to their billing- It’s not like we’ve haven’t been successful without them (see Two Natty’s and played for a third)

• Options
    JoseDawgJoseDawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has played in three national titles and won 2 and could easily be 3/3 and people are questioning him about QB. No one outside the coaching staff knows exactly why they didn't work out but, UGA is now the team to beat. If I were a QB I'd want to go to UGA more than anything. Well I guess Dylan proved that. For all the doubters all I can say is LOLOLOLOL.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luck had a lot to do with some of these outcomes -- bad timing for Eason and JT, for example, and good timing for Fromm and Stetson. They happened to be ready when Eason and JT went down, and they happened to be good fits for the offenses that Georgia had at that time.

I also think it's fair to say that Smart made at least one misstep (he's pretty much said so himself): He didn't give Fields enough of a reason to see that patience would serve him well.

But the larger thing going on is that it naturally took a while for the Smart regime to establish the credibility of Kirby's system for building talent.

Fields and a lot of guys who went elsewhere (e.g. Stroud) didn't have any way of knowing:1) that holding the clipboard at Georgia would be worthwhile, 2) that UGA develops talent (including QB talent!) like nobody else, and 3) that Kirby would ever win a championship.

Now, everyone knows that good things come to those who wait at Georgia. Both Beck and Vandagriff stand as testaments to that: Kirby and his coaches have so much credibility that those two guys -- who could have started just about anywhere after two years at Georgia -- were willing to wait it out for a third year. Beck is now in a great position to lead Uga to glory. And even if Vandagriff never starts at UGA, his stock is so high and he's so well trained (and talented) that he could decide to transfer next winter and crush it another school.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We all learn though experience, including head coaches. The potential missteps early with high ranked QBs have given the coaching staff better knowledge in how they communicate to current and potential qb’s. Sentell’s most recent story on Puglisi shares that the coaches have been upfront about the recruitment and we can only believe that same openness happens in the QB room.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

Lol...I think, that was @JoseDawg's point.

@CandlerPark ...all true. Good post.

@Kconnorriley ____"he was not cleared until Georgia’s second game against Auburn." . Conner Riley on JT DANIELS' 2020 Season

Not true Conner. Daniels was not cleared to play until...AFTER...the GA vs FL Game. Which is why an injured Bennett was eventually replaced by D'wan Mathis in the 2nd half of that game...and, NOT Daniels.

Kirby Smart said as much after the game. Daniels' Family & Personal Physician working with the Team Doctor, would not clear him until...miraculously after UGA lost to FLA. And, Bennett was up 14-0, when the injury occurred, late in the 1st qtr or early in the 2nd.

If Daniels was cleared after the 2nd game...why not use him against Florida, when the offense started struggling and Bennett's shoulder was messed up?

Lmao...you guys are bound & determined to rewrite history, so you come out of the rosey end, on your Stetson Bennett/JT Daniels "QB Analysis".

That's NEVER gonna happen. Too many of us, tried to tell you 3 years ago, what Bennett "was", compared to Daniels. 2 very good QBs...with very different styles and strengths. Bennett was always gonna be "the guy" for Monkin's offense. I'm not sure, when that became obvious to Him...but, I'm sure it was long before he told "the Press".

You guys were "Wrong" about THAT QB situation...just accept it, and move on. No shame, there. The shame is trying to "push the lie" when we already know the truth. Lol. Just...Try to do better with the Beck/BVG/Stockton battle. I wouldn't go "All In" on Beck just yet. 3 great, competitive, QBs battling it out with "Patient Aggression". It's literally anybody's game, at this point.

What I want to see, is...which players will Kirby take to "SEC Media Days", with him. I bet it won't be a QB.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Daniels WAS medically cleared after that 2nd game. There was actually a good bit of speculation at the time about whether he would (and shortly after, why he wasn’t) be inserted into a game.

This is the base-level clearly, though, so it’s not like you’re too off-base. In fact, you’re right to question the rest, as even though he was “cleared,” he wasn’t physically ready for pretty much anyone’s comfort level. The dissonance between those competing realities isn’t Connor’s fault, though. He wrote the truth as it was expressed, not as it was handled.

The articles and chatboard material for all of that still exists on this site.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

Lol...you're right about Daniels...technically being cleared. But, for all intents and purposes...he was not. Whether it's factual or not, I couldn't say...but, I remember something about his family and their physician being involved. I'm not going quibble with semantics, here...so, I'm right, you're right and Conner's right.

That being said...when he was cleared after the second game...what changed? Was he injured, again, while playing on the practice squad, cause he sure didn't make an appearance when they NEEDED him to, against Florida.

And, that's another thing...why would a former "Starting QB" for USC...a "Junior" QB that nearly beat a good Notre Dame team, at the end of the 2018 season, in his Freshman season...request to be put on "The Paractice Squad", once he WAS cleared? Moreover...why did Kirby and Monkin allow it, knowing what they had in the bullpen without him.

That's the real question. But, it could be years before we know the real answer. Lol