Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia-Florida game location in flux: Shift in trend among Bulldogs’ fans, new Jacksonville mayor

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia-Florida game location in flux: Shift in trend among Bulldogs’ fans, new Jacksonville mayor

ATHENS — A decision is pending on the future location of the Georgia-Florida football game with new dynamics in place since the last contract was signed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whoever these folks are in the Twitter video are idiots. They should get in line behind Robin Roberts, Samuel Jackson & Whoopi Goldberg and never be allowed to been seen or heard from again.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia biggest rivalry is due in part to the Jacksonville tradition. Move the game to home/home and in 10 years the gators will be similar to Auburn in terms of rivalries.

with the new schedule and no divisions a home/home will grow more important for recruiting and less for the gator-haters

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice work here, Mike Griffith. Glad to see ACC Mayor and Commission called out for not taking a seat at the table. That's irresponsible on their part.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The ACC mayor and commission is utterly rutterless. The only financial gain they can envision is to further tax the properties of those few Athenians not now residing in Oconee County.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby Smart has earned the right to be heard on this issue. Make this a home and home and the money will come. It is ridiculous to not give our head coach every competitve advantage when it comes to recruiting. Georgia is plenty rich, don't get greedy! Sometimes, money is not everything. Home and home will give the players and the fans an experience they have not had in their lifetimes. Let's think outside the box here.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure why we are talking about this. All groups are pretty clear on what they want. I don't see any "shifts" in any sort of trends. The decision makers aren't asking the fans nor even the coaches what they want.

In the end, it comes down to money. Is Jacksonville going to give up on that money? Of course not. So, the only way I see things changing is if Atlanta decides to step in and make an offer to counter.

• Options
    Bill71Bill71 Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

As usual, the money will decide! WOOF

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

democrat mayor will ruin the city

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is a counter to the neutral site claim made by (mostly) Florida. Jacksonville is not a neutral site. It's Gator Country. If home and home is too bitter a pill to swallow, the next best option is a Jacksonville/Atlanta rotation.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennessee, no; Auburn, no; LSU, maybe if you don't factor the outrageous traffic after games; Texas A&M, don't know - haven't been there; The Swamp? puhleeze. I have on good authority that Oxford, MS is a good time. I'd say Athens is in the top 3, especially considering rapidity of ingress/egress, and how well the traffic is managed.

• Options
    JETJET Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

A good half of all Fla wins in the past need to be voided because, in reality, for Fla .. it has ALWAYS been a HOME GAME ,, That is going to stop .. Thank You Kirby !!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m sorry, but are we the University of Georgia, with a priority being the alumni, the fans and the team, or are we the university of Jacksonville, where their needs outweigh ours? I get the city’s desire to keep it and I absolutely understand but again, their economy is not my problem nor the University of Georgia’s.

• Options
    LHardingDawgLHardingDawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Personally after attending 44 games in Jacksonville, I want to keep the game there. It would seem that Kirby is recruiting very well with the game in Jacksonville and if you look at the win loss record, Georgia has always been up on Florida. Also, there is a lot of people in Brunswick, Valdosta, Waycross, and North Florida that look on this game as their game, the game they don't have to drive 4-5 hours just to get to.

Also, it is always great to watch the **** Florida Blue & Orange disappear during the 3rd. quarter.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

I vote with Kirby based on the recruiting argument alone, especially with new scheduling in 2024. It's a home game for UF. Many season ticket holders are finally asking for this, even though it pushes Acron or Kent State off the home schedule ;-) Last, as a "biz dev" guy, I am totally astonished at the apparent non-participation in this debate by the ACC Mayor. Probably some communications behind the scenes, but if I'm the Mayor of Athens, I go public in a big way (unless the Mayors in South GA are pressuring to keep quiet?). It's hand-to-hand combat in economic terms for events like these and the Mayor appears asleep at the switch.

Maybe some NIL money could be used to keep the Athletic Department whole when the switch happens?

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

Biggest hoodwink job in history.