Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Examining the state of the Georgia football-Auburn rivalry as SEC schedule change looms

SystemSystem Posts: 10,481 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageExamining the state of the Georgia football-Auburn rivalry as SEC schedule change looms

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I sometimes wonder if the powers that be in the SEC are like our representatives in Congress; they talk a good talk, but they don't actually listen to what the people (fans) want.

Connor makes a good point at the end of the article: "What makes college football special is games like Georgia-Auburn. Beating the other side matters a lot more to those who support those programs much more so than playing Texas A&M or Mississippi State twice every four seasons. The coaches seem to recognize that. We’ll see if the SEC decision-makers do as well when it comes to the future of this rivalry." Kirby says he understands the traditionalists who want the Auburn game, but also those who want the games against the other teams, but both can't exist. But it will with the 9 game schedule. I will certainly enjoy the games against OU, Texas, LSU, Tenn, Bama, but being the traditionalist I am, the Auburn game just means more to me. I don't really have eager anticipation for all the other SEC opponents. Also, as far as the one rivalry game schedule, I think there are only four games in the entire SEC season that truly fit that bill: WLOCP (in JAX), Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl and Tex-OU. Who are the #1 rivalries for the other 8 schools?

• Options
    TenzaiTenzai Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

If they stay at 8 SEC games, which I'm not saying they should or not, they can go 2-6. Keep the two biggest rivals and rotate the other 6. Each team would play each other within three years (it'd almost be every two years with just one team missing out from that schedule). Even if they went 3-5, all the teams would still play each other within 3 years. That's much better than now.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone know when Florida flew past Auburn to become our biggest rival? I think some true traditionalist may argue that the Tigers should be ahead of the Lizards. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The truth of the matter is that the competition is so fierce in the SEC that every team Georgia plays is a rival! I like the 6/2 plan, making the Gators and War **** Eagles/Tigers/Plainsmen our permanent rivals. Right Now, can anyone disagree that Bama is our only TRUE rival.....with LSU focused on the runner up position?

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Exactly. They say the student athletes would have the opportunity to play a home/home in 4 years. I call BS. So many will transfer, declare early or not even make the travel squad which makes a statement like that just not believable

• Options
    TenzaiTenzai Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Bama is the only team in the SEC that is up to Georgia's level. That said, anything can happen in college football. We've seen big upsets that shouldn't have happened or games that have been close when they shouldn't have. As long as UGA-AU and UGA-UF is kept, I'd be happy. UGA really doesn't have a third rivel in the East division. The closest would be UT imo since the record is closer than any of UGA's other East opponents.