Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football fans have expensive 2024 season ahead, dent remains in home schedule

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football fans have expensive 2024 season ahead, dent remains in home schedule

ATHENS — It didn’t take the most dedicated and loyal Georgia football fans long to figure out 2024 is going to be a very expensive season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to ditch Jacksonville.

Everything else will sort itself out over time given Kirby's plan, determination, and drive.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree we really need to ditch it. The games would be much better home and home. The schedule was surprising in a few ways. 1 - they could of fixed the 2 away Auburn games by giving us Auburn home again then we would be even. 2 - going to Texas but not to A&M doesn't make sense at all even though it will be great to play in Austin. 3 - how is it that Bama doesn't come here first?

These are all head scratchers. Not sure on the win loss records for home and away games but I would be interested to see what they are based off last year (not perfect but approximate SOS). The schedules for 8 point to how tough physically for these young men especially if the teams make the championship game and playoff. They should consider potentially A and B squads and letting the A squads play the BIG games only and let the B's play the 3 cupcakes. 9 games for the A squad and 3 for the B squad. They do this in other sports and it is for player safety and for keeeping competitive games. Plus up the scholarships to 100.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

I used to lean more towards keeping the Georgia-fla game in Jax, until I saw this schedule. Based on the 3rd criteria listed on the sec network, Georgia was stabbed in the back. We were given a lot harder schedule than the team to the west that got Vandy. I guess the sec is tired of us blowing and shutting them out. Nothing was taken into consideration with our schedule. I guess we were given Texas next year instead of Oklahoma because our fans would have had a fit if we played them next year instead of being made to drop them this season. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas has a reputation for putting itself ahead of fellow league members, to the point there’s speculation the Longhorns might very well replace Florida in SEC’s self-important category.

🤣🤣🤣

I've heard that about Texas from many over the years. Already starting off in the SEC with a false start penalty! 🤣

Now about this 2024 schedule. @MikeGriffith can you please explain to me why we have to go on the road to Bama? I don't get it. They should be coming to Athens since we last played them at Bama. This is not fair to our fans. We not only are losing money on this, but an opportunity to host some elite recruits during such a big game. A primetime game between Georgia and Bama between the hedges would've been one awesome atmosphere. Still going to be that at their house, but I hate losing that opportunity to host.

Whatever! Bring them all on! Let's get it on!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Annual GA/FL in Jacksonville - 1/2 tickets allotted to each team OR 33,919

If played in Athens every other year - 80,000+ tickets go to UGA fans

More opportunities for students, alumni, and UGA fans to see GA/FL game every other year than when played every year in Jacksonville.

Again, UGA alumni and students get shafted on what our home schedule is for 2024. We get ONE marque home game (Auburn and MS State are B /C players right now) while all other schools have two or three (see Ark, Ole Miss, Oklahoma) while we also play two games at neutral sights. Benz capacity is only 71,000 - at best UGA gets 30,000 tickets and no economic benefit to Athens/Clarke County (which supports UGA & UGAA through public services and property tax exemptions (not for profit)).

Athens Clarke County and Athens Area Chamber of Commerce should work to move the Ga/FL game to a home/home schedule to benefit from the economic impact of these games.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Folks like Mike says... The Game is JAX as ruined and continues to ruin UGA homes games in Athens every other year when UGA is the designated BS home team... Anyone that wants this ridiculous attempt at evenness playing in FL away from Athens is fool and better yet a moron... Play this game in Athens PERIOD!

The SEC has always and will continue to bully UGA in the scheduling chess game... UGA once again allowed themselves to take it right up the backside on yet another almost miserable SEC home schedule... and enough with this opening season games being played away from the home teams field... Clemson and UGA should play on campus not in Atlanta or any other pro field. UGA plays more big games in other stadiums than it does at home year after year...

The above reason why I stopped giving my hard earned money to an Athletic Dept that allows awful home games for decades now and looks like it may never stop.

Oh... and you people wanted TX and OKie in the league... Get used to 10-2, 9-3 and 8-4 season's with the new norm in the SEC... you can still make the playoff's at 10-2 or 9-3 but college football is now Semi Professional football

Go Dawgs and The SEC office in Bham is full off jerk off's

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA should get twice the money fu gets and be able to entertain recruits every year. The economic boost that Jax gets would make that feasible.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder if Coach Smart went along with this schedule because he knew it would increase opposition to the Jax game.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Going to bama, is just the SEC's way of kissing Sabans behind. They are just trying to get Saban another win over CKS. But sorry, still not happening. Playing in Athens, Saban would be retired before the rotation ever sent UGA back to bama.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are going to need a deep roster full of the best recruits in the Nation, 2024 will be brutal, glad we have Kirby, and the best recruiters in college football at Georgia, every high school recruit, and NFL Scout will be watching these games, if you're wanting to get drafted in the NFL, these games are what gets the Scouts attention, plenty of game film. Can't Wait!!!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CHANGE. UGA/uf TO HOME-N-HOME FOR GOD’S SAKES!!!!

• Options

Great points Wildman. We should have a pretty stout defense and some leaders. Our linebacking and DL should be tough (ridiculously good) and will have probably 3 All-Americans in the secondary by 2024. Biggest question for me now is will our OL be ready in 2024. Need more big uglies in the interior OL. A bona-fide Pickens like wr would help a lot as well. We will have Yazeed, maybe Bell and RaRa but I think Jacksaint, McHonkey and Lovett will be gone. Give me another stud WR please.

We will be tough to beat and think we only potentially lose that Bama game depending on our qb play.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seriously?

Has anyone taken a look at the 2024 schedules for UCLA and USC?

Talk about expensive travel for the teams and the fans...every single season. Sometimes traveling across 3 time zones. I think it may turn out to be detrimental to their success by the end of the season.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

All the ruckus about playing at Bama two straight times: they did the same coming to Athens two straight, 2008 and 2015. Get over it.

• Options

You sound like a Bama fan. All I've heard is the crying from Bama fans about their schedule and how they have to also play Wisconsin...of course we are playing Clemson which is a tad more difficult. Oh poor Bama and how they got hosed. Even McElroy (a pretty good analyst and Bama qb) said we had a brutal schedule. Bama fans are the biggest boasters when they win and the worst losers.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

No joke, man. If you were a High School Senior...and you had 4 or 5 stars after your name, on the recruiting boards...with the Dawgs hot on your trail...wouldn't you want to play against that schedule, next year? Just to see if you measure up. If it doesn't work out...you can always transfer. Lol

You know doggone well, keeping players healthy and fresh in '24, is going to be a challenge. The team with the most depth, will win the SEC. Hmmm....wonder which team that'll be. Lol

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2023

Over 40 years later, and I can still remember Sugar Bowl, Jacksonville, and Auburn road trips as a poor student in a dingy car packed with a few buddies headed to crappy accomodations. Nothing fancy, but definitely fun. The distance did not matter. Those memories will stay with you forever.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Billy2131

If only theycared about what the fans think!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm curious...did you know any of the players or "Journalism Majors", back then?