Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CFP selection protocol scrutiny: Nick Saban echoes point Kirby Smart made 5 years ago,

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageCFP selection protocol scrutiny: Nick Saban echoes point Kirby Smart made 5 years ago,

ATHENS — Georgia football hasn’t lost a regular season game since 2020, so the Bulldogs haven’t had much to worry about where the College Football Playoff Committee is concerned.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wins and losses and conference championships should mean a lot, and they do. The whole ‘best teams’ argument seems too subjective to me.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2023

Should be quality wins, and Losses, over Quantity.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best = Deserving

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Mike for this thought provoking article. We've all heard these kind of discussions before, and I don't think the controversy goes away or the Committee decisions are any easier going to 12 teams. Yes, the Dawgs got screwed in 2018. I agree with Saban, there needs to be a distinction between "best" and "deserving", and that needs to apply consistently every time the CFP Committee gets together. A team's SOS is crucial in that decision, especially concerning tough loses in close games.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It behooves CKS to get his starting QB for 2024 ready this season. My wish is that CB would lead us to a NC and then return for 2024. Realistically, if he has a great season, he's one and done. So, with all those road games against tough opponents, it's never been more critical for CKS to determing who the next GUY is. Just can't have a QB with little or no real game experience starting in hostile venues against big time programs. Clemson is up first. Can't ease into the season like this year.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2023

This year was the year that BCS should've been the standard. UGA could've just played Michigan and that be that. That way there wouldn't have been any controversy or argument to "... should be in". Yes OSU gave UGA all it wanted and ultimately lost the game, but they weren't a conference champion and were absolutely shallacked, at home, by Michigan. TCU lost in their conference championship, but still snuck in, and had to come back how many times during the year?? I said this back when they picked the 4, and still stand by it. Years like 2018, playoffs should be necessary. The whole, not a conference championship/didn't play in a conference championship, should be a BIG factor going forward.

It's also why I'm against the 12 team playoff. Even though I'm SEC biased, I wouldn't want to see like 4-6 SEC teams in the playoff. If we have that many in, why would we need an SEC championship? Yes I know it brings it money, but think about this, the SEC "runner-up" would have to play one more game than the champion. Same goes with all conferences. Champions would get the BYE. To me, to that extent, it's not fair to the players. But this day in age, it's just the money they're hunting.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice article, MG.

I still can't understand why (now) anyone can justify keeping Ga/Fl game an "away" game. And why we would keep playing these neutral site games (vs. home/home)? It is going to be very critical to play in front of a home crowd as often as you can under the 8 game (and 9 game) SEC schedule:

"Georgia, meanwhile, opens the 2024 season with a neutral site game against ACC Superpower Clemson and then plays five of its eight SEC games in 2024 away from Sanford Stadium."

So, 6 out of 9 games in 2024 are play away from SS.

It's ridiculous to keep these neutral site games. All you folks who continue to lobby for the GA/FL to stay in Jacksonville, don't whine and cry when we get to the end of a couple of seasons where our record isn't up to par in large part because we don't play in front of a home crowd (often the margin of victory for any team). Home court advantage is huge when playing strong SEC teams.

This also means that many other teams that UGA recruits against ("Bama, Ohio St., USC, LSU, Clemson, etc.) will have 2 more (big) home games to host recruits in the UGA environment/facilities.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I look at Atlanta as a home game and Jax is just Jax. When Florida is down Jax is not bad. However, they won't be down forever which is why I prefer Home and Home with Florida.

I do agree that we need home games for recruiting and that is probably the biggest reason to move to home and home. Nothing against the cocktail party but I never heard of it before moving to Georgia. I had heard of Ohio State Michigan and Texas Oklahoma and USC Notre Dame. The cocktail party is just overrated imo and a definite advantage for Florida vs. playing in Sanford.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@kylnmeg10

Ohio St was not shellacked by Mich. They had the lead most of the game and had the ball inside UMs 10 yardline down by 6 with less than five minutes to go. The final score just made it look worse than it was. Same thing with us against Bama in the NCG. They have the lead most of the game and was a one score game until the late turniver. Just looking at a final score can be decieving

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg888, good points on looking at Atlanta as a home game. I can get behind that for the most part depending on the opponent. It is a 50/50 split on tickets so unless it's a team outside the southeast, the atmosphere is not going to be like a home game. I concede that the travel time for UGA makes it much more like a home game in the same manner Jax is essentially a home game for FL. But take, for example, the Oregon game. No doubt that was lopsided in terms of the number of UGA fans vs. Oregon fans. The same won't be true when the opponent is from the southeast. Also, UGA is not allotted many tickets when playing at the Benz - stadium only holds 71k to begin. In the end, not many UGA alumni, season ticket holders, or die-hard fans get tickets to these neutral site games.

Ditto on your comments about recruiting.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Money is the reason the Georgia-fla game hasn’t been moved to home and home.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gotta hand it to Saban. He never stops indoctrinating the media to favor the Crimson Tide.

• Options

3 million is peanuts...move the game Kirby! Jax is trash Florida.

Whether we like it or not Alabama is the premiere brand name in college football akin to the Yankees. Will that change anytime soon. Probably not. Just have to beat them more than 1 in 7 tries. Excited about having the chance to quiet them down in 2024. Hoping for a big win in Bryant Denny.

• Options
    JimmyJoeMeekerJimmyJoeMeeker Posts: 8 ✭✭ Sophomore

Unless it's Bama...right Nicky

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Well...it IS almost as close as 33-18. Lol

The eye test doesn't lie...OSU got beat...AND...they had a bad game. They just couldn't "Stop Michigan"...or, UGA, for that matter. Despite what some ****'nuts think...defense is not just "desired"...it's "required", in order to be truly "Elite".

A lesson the BIG10 has never learned...defense is not "optional".

• Options
    LawDawg23LawDawg23 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Everyone always points out that Alabama lost two close games last year. They also won a couple of close ones that could have gone against them as well. The politics here are about who gets in to play for the National Championship. There is no doubt that this process still crowns that best team in the sport. Does the process always include the best "also rans"? No. Every team can have a bad day and lose, but the best consistent winner emerges. This year, Ohio State played their best game of the year against a UGA squad that was struggling. UGA still won.

• Options
    edited June 2023

This is spot on. They played their best game. Stroud had his best game as a Buckeye. We played our worst game. Part of what happened still bothers me because it is on the coaches. In the first half and part of the 3rd quarter we played the same type of defense we played against Alabama in the SECCG last year where we didn't bring enough linebacker pressure. Of course OSU was holding all the time, just as Bama was in that SECCG. What changed 2nd half (mostly late 3rd and 4th quarter) is the same thing that helped us in the NCG against Alabama. We blitzed over and over again. Still pissed that we came into the OSU game not expecting them to hold and playing that contain defense with very little linebacker blitzing. We should have been doing that (e.g. blitzing) the whole game. Also, Carter did not play his best game and looked tired and none of our DL could get out of the grasp (literally) of the OSU OL.