Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: David Pollack gives classy response following ESPN lay offs

SystemSystem Posts: 10,496 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: David Pollack gives classy response following ESPN lay offs

David Pollack is obviously a DGD. But he’s also a pretty great person as well based on the events on Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    BackHomeBackHome Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Completely agree with @Kudzu here. McAfee has a place but please don’t make him a fixture on Gameday. There may be some structural reasons for this, but from a quality commentating standpoint, you just took a big hit. Of all the hundreds of “talent,” you hit one of College Gameday’s best, and just before ESPN has the SEC slate? Pollack is going to be just fine, no doubt. This may even be the best outcome for him, because Disney is absolutely killing ESPN.

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

How about being a D-line coach for Kirby? Sounds like a perfect fit.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really admire his positive attitude.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds pretty grounded to me! Go David!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I'm happy beyond measure with our current staff BUT come on board as an analyst specializing in "SACKS" and "QBP."...quarterback pressure..... we certainly have the raw material but a little inspirational motivation from The Greatest at practice would yield great returns!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe he'll get hired by SEC- Nation.

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

He forgot to mention ESPN and Disney are dying because of their decision to adopt Marxism and hate on the USA

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will definitely miss him. He was a quality analyst and seemed to be a perfect fit to 'talk' football with Herbstreit and Des. Not here to bang on McAfee because he brings in a certain audience and is entertaining sometimes so no hating here.

There will be a gap with SEC reporting and credibility with the viewers. Des and Kirb are B1G guys and McAfee comes off as the donkey's rear end from the northeast. Corso is unfortunately way past his prime and I love the guy because he was a Navy coach (not a good one) but he is definitely not an SEC guy.

So basically their flagship contract with the SEC has no SEC guys. Pollack was the only upper tier guy they had and they let him go.

This feels like a **** move to me on ESPN's part. I can easily switch over the the local Atlanta 5 pre-game show and probably will give it a chance as having a team of guys from the midwest and northeast talk about Alabama all day is pretty boring.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

Ok, so I know that as a corporation, sometimes you have to cut staff, restructure...I get it. I won't get into some of the reasons why this probably had to happen at ESPN, I am sure most of us already know, so be it. BUT, when you are cutting talent like Pollack, and as many of us have already said, you are staring at a new, multi-year, largest contract ever signed with college football's premiere conference, and then you get rid of the ONE guy who can legit speak for that conference?? What the heck? That makes ZERO sense, your credibility with that conference's fan base will take a hit. ALSO, you just let go TOP talent across the board because you are trying to save costs, and you say you are cutting "talent" (the larger salaries) so you don't have to cut the jobs of the "rank and file" (ordinary staffers). THEN, you go and hire McAfee to this MONSTER multi-year contract. What the heck? What kind of message does that send to all the talent you just cut, and to the "rank and file" staffer that will now not see a raise for years, because you signed McAfee and spent all that money. Ridiculous! On another note, Pollack is a CLASS ACT!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg888

This feels like a **** move to me on ESPN's part. I can easily switch over the the local Atlanta 5 pre-game show and probably will give it a chance as having a team of guys from the midwest and northeast talk about Alabama all day is pretty boring.

you ALMOST nailed it. Let me fix it for you.

northeast talk about Alabama AND OHIO STATE all day is pretty boring.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In Tray Scott, we may have the best D-line coach in the country already.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Liked your comment because I agree. One small issue: Don't they still have a couple of SEC guys in McElroy and Tebow. I like McElroy and Tebow actually has gotten a bit better than he was. But -- my UGA bias aside -- Pollack seemed to be the best guy on the entire show.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They are kind of 2nd tier imo. Kind of like the national anchors to local affiliate anchors. Those guys are not regulars either and do not do it week in and week out. McElroy especially. Tebow, like the guy, but he is hard to listen to for any amount of time.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pollack=A CLASS Act!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not just class. He is devoted to his savior Jesus Christ who has blessed him in a monumental way. It will be exciting to see how and where the Lord will lead him in the next chapter of His life.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wish I could many Trillion Star your post !! Amen !!! What ESPN did with David Really upset me !! But His and Your attitude is the right road to take. Just So sad to see this happen. But God is on His throne and there’s a reason for All things bad and good. Something good Will come David’s way in due time.