Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Georgia freshman linebacker cited for speeding, 88 in a 55 mph zone

Comments

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

Mike’s not bashing just reporting . It’s slow and I know people get frustrated here and he really gets bashed . If you want to really see him get bashed just listen to the other schools callers after he talks up UGA on Finebaum lol . As for the other AJC articles not mentioned here which I feel is real bashing get use to it . WSB-TV lost broadcast rights to WAGA and Shockley and they aren’t happy . Both under Cox .

• Options
    NY3TSCNY3TSC Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike really? I should get banned for what I want to say. UGA hater personified. Go back to Tennessee. Your about as positive as a boil on a scrotum.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

For all the people saying speed happens everyday doesn’t live in Oconee County. I do, it’s back roads and single lanes…No highways except for 316. So yeah, you go over by 10pm in Oconee, you will get ticketed, same for Clark County where UGA is at, but that has I-10 where the speed limit is 65, so you can get away with maybe 75mph…this ain’t Gwinnett or Atlanta counties

• Options
    83_Dawg83_Dawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman
    edited July 2023

Gee. A speeding ticket. Excellent reporting. ThanksMike. And the AJC. I can tell you love football and UGA.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

For those calling for reporting on arrest rates or discipline problems at other programs, I would just like to toss out here that Kirby would be the first to say we don’t worry about other programs. Does MG inserting his opinions in his articles at times get on my nerves? Yeah. But I honestly don’t care about what’s going on at other programs in the context of, yet again, another football player did himself and the university a disservice by speeding… and not speeding in the range of getting a warning either. 20 mph over will get you ticketed 95% of the time around Athens. But having said all that, some context would be appreciated MG. I mean, if the speed limit is 55, at least that’s not a neighborhood, right? While not necessarily smart to go that much over, at least (it would appear, and maybe you can confirm this), it seems he picked a good place to be going that much over. 

Progress?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

"I would just like to toss out here that Kirby would be the first to say we don’t worry about other programs."____DSOG

Youre right...and, I don't blame MG for reporting on a "can of worms" that's already been opened by an AJC Colleague. But, that's not really the point.

The point is...if it's worth reporting...then it's worth investigating. And, if it's worth investigating...then investigate it. Don't speculate based on sparse and possibly flawed information.

It is extremely relevant to know whether or not this is an institutional "problem" or a larger problem that is being handled appropriately at the "Institutional level" by all involved...including Coach Smart and the Athletic Administration.

If THAT'S the case....then what is the purpose of the report? To inform us of things we already know..."Kids be crazy, sometimes.". Lol...okay...got it!

Because it has been implied that Kirby has a "culture problem", without proof. Only, the lingering and constantly resurrected question. Is it possible disinformation designed to create a negative buzz around Kirby's Program...which could, in-turn, have a negative impact on recruiting.

Or, to swing it the other way...designed to generate a negative buzz to help Kirby deal with an internal issue.

And yet, another way to approach it would be...How do the 2023 "UGA Player traffic violation" statistics stack up against years past? Is it a spike...or a dip? Has Kirby actually decreased the number of "student-athlete traffic violations", since he's been there.

What did the "speeder situation" look like under Richt, Goff and Dooley?. Let's see the graph. How bout Tech, over the last 20 or 30 years? Is it just student-athletes from certain States, or does it matter.

Without answers to some of these questions, you won't be able to "solve the problem"...which I assume, is half the point of the story...but, hard to tell.

Without context, we have no way of knowing how to take these random & sporadic "traffic reports". I, personally, have never seen this kind of reporting on a Football Team, before. So, I'd like it to start making sense.

How are these reports relevant? It's a simple question.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

Very weak click bait reporting Mike. So disappointed you would even dare post something link this. This wasn't street racing or joy riding, it's a kid speeding in a car probably late for class. Way to jump on the shoulders of the AJC. Keep your reporting to football please!

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

College aged guys driving fast is such a huge news story. I drove over 100mph on multiple occasions when I was that age, getting a speeding ticket (and 6-months of license restriction) for one. A bigger news story would be about a college age guy who never speeds.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, speeding is an issue with young people. That is why young men pay the highest insurance rates among all drivers. Let us not condemn a person for speeding. Kirby can preach all he wants about the dangers of speeding, but he cannot ride shotgun, nor can he personally revoke their license or take his keys. This is not a UGA problem, it is a youth problem. I would think Mike would have better stories to write rather than call out a teenager for getting a speeding ticket.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hmm, so who reported the ticket from Oconee County to the Athens Banner Herald, or are the ABH and AJC spying on UGA players and paying off law enforcement for tip-offs? We already know the AJC omits facts and other information from stories in order to promote salacious stories and make personal attacks UGA players.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

It's been a long time since I was a student, but I regularly drove this fast on 316. For a while I worked in Gwinnett so I put a lot of very fast miles on my vehicle. This is nothing as long as he wasnt racing and wasn't under the influence. Commuter speeds IMO.

Just read the AJC article. He was on 441 which is a 6 lane (3 each way) highway.

Let's not be so dramatic.

• Options
    edited July 2023

How do you know I'm grown? How do you know I'm a man? You must be an AJC Reporter. <Lol>

Are you taking notes? Looks like a lot of folks have something to say about your reporting...or, lack thereof. I'm "laughing my ass off", at you. There....was that better?

Go Dawgs. Keep up the great work.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

441 in Athens is not 6 lanes in Athens…it’s double lanes so 4. It gets to 6 once you get past commerce… it has been a while since you have been here then

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Relax Kirby's policies ad discipline seem to be working , speeds are dropping, 88 is slower than 100+. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're right. It's 4. Where I zoomed in had an off/on ramp that I counted as the 6th lanes. It's still a 4 lane hwy with a large grass median and in the area he was pulled over there are no intersections, only ramps.

It's still no reason to make the news or to be that concerned over. He was probably running late to practice. I think I'd rather risk a ticket than Kirby's wrath, too!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We don’t get news anymore, just opinions.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like I have allot of Brothers In Speed here !! I did all that to when I was a young Buck. Including street drag racing. Do I do this now ?? NO !! And haven’t for many, many years.

Most of the time when guys get older the Realization of what Can happen starts to set in and Usually they change their line of thinking. The sad thing is Some never reach that age and get killed on the highway. And Some never reach that Even if they survive death.

The bottom line ( Not an excuse but reality) is it’s gonna happen. So All Kirby and staff can do is keep preaching and hope that it catches on with at least some. It is what it is.

And I’d advise don’t be angry at law enforcement, it’s their job. Their duty. I don’t know if they target UGA players. Maybe. Maybe not.

But as some of you have posted and rightly so, it’s not a problem unique to UGA or the Dawgs football program. If the Truth is told it’s a problem ( that has existed for years and years) in schools across the nation.

Speaking of school it’s a Good thing that these young men are furthering their education, no matter how they got there. At least their doing Something productive !! These days that alone is saying allot !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited July 2023

Bottom line is...If Tory and Devin had not died that night...we and the AJC probably wouldn't have even noticed all these traffic violations. That's what we call reactionary public awareness and Sensationalistic Journalism.

There's nothing to tie these random traffic reports to any relevant cause. The selectivity of only focusing on the "Football Players" from UGA...tells you everything you need to know about the motivations of "the media".

Influencing the hearts & minds of the Parents of potential future "Football Recruits"...is an old game. You'd think the State News Outlet, would be in the corner of the State's University. But...Atlanta may be, "too far gone".

I think, maybe...some...not all...of the Atlanta "Media and Public Influencers" are trying throw a little shade on Kirby's Program, in hopes it will drive some of their recruits to explore Ga Tech and consider embracing Atlanta as their home. 😂

Lol...they are so "predictable". These randomly reported traffic violations...happen to be by Georgia Bulldogs....so, that must be it. Lol...Great detective work, there...AJC. Look forward to your next "scoop".

<added content>

You know what...I was just thinking back...you only get these kind of coordinated and covert attacks on certain Football Programs. Others skate free from media scrutiny...and, at times, benefit from "media protection".

Look at the disparity in the way Florida, Florida St and Miami were covered by media back in the '90's. Bobby Bowden was actually put on a pedestal and sportswriters/talkers declared that Bowden had payed his dues and it was his turn to be Champ. Florida State became National Champions shortly after.

Miami was destroyed in the press and Warren Sapp's journey down "Mary Jane Lane" was blown into the Crime of the Century. In the meantime...15 years or so later...the media, politicians, and Justice Department...among others...succeeded in helping Florida St. and Jimbo Fisher cover up and terminate the Jameis Winston rape investigation.

They (media) DO, what they want to do...and, report what they WANT to report...WHEN they want to report it...adhering to "Wavering Standards", written in Jello. Sounds like the AJC could use a "Kirby Smart" to whip THEIR asses into shape. Lol