Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett hot topic of conversation amid report Rams tried to trade Matthew Stafford

SystemSystem Posts: 11,084 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett hot topic of conversation amid report Rams tried to trade Matthew Stafford

ATHENS — Football fans can and will stay what they want about Stetson Bennett, but there’s something to be said about the fact he remains a topic of conversation at the NFL level.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I believe they had Bennett targeted long before the draft. He's a perfect "Sean Payton style" quarterback. And, he may even outperform Drew Brees before he's done.

I don't believe NFL Teams "shoot-from-the-hip" like that. Most of em don't, anyway. Lol...we can't go by the way the Falcons operate. They're more an example of "what not to do".

The Rams knew Stafford was short term, 3 years ago. They've been staking out a replacement for a long time. I think it's telling that they didn't target one of the media's favorite quarterbacks. Bennett has been their guy for quite a while...IMO.

It's probably one of the reasons he chose not to attend the Senior Bowl. He had already received confirmation that LA was planning on taking him, in the 3rd or 4th round, depending...and...,grooming him as Stafford's replacement. Silent commitment...if you will.

@MikeGriffith ...you made reference to Bennett's "off field issue(s)". As in plural. I only know of 1 minor issue, that may have since been dropped. That was in Texas. What other "issues" are you referring to?

I think maybe, you're referring to issues not of his making. Perception issues created by an unfriendly media, that just can't seem to understand, how they could possibly be "so wrong" about a player. It's gotta hurt.

Lol...but, those aren't HIS "issues". Those "issues" are owned and operated by the people that just can't say the words..."I was wrong about Bennett. He is a Great Quarterback and his updated recruiting grade is now 5-star.".

Do you know how many times I've heard..."Seeing him _____, is a bit of a stretch for me."...type comments? If I had a nickle...Lol. He's been "doubted" at every turn...and, overcame, at every turn. Why should THAT change, now? Lol

That being said...I do understand the doubt regarding my Drew Brees comment. However, I did say..."may" outperform Drew Brees. That's not a slam dunk...but, I like his chances.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

Whew! Laying it on thick there! He has been taught well, but time will tell if Bennett is close to the Messiah you are preaching he is. I do hope the Rams intend to let him have a REAL chance in a year or so to see if he can move the ball and get the job done. I think he can given the opportunity but a lot of "ifs" ahead to get past. But I sure hope you are right!

It's not gonna happen for him in 1 season, i don't think.

He's going to go through Rookie growing pains, just like everybody else. That means crazy turnovers...passes and bootlegs in the wrong direction. Stuff like that. The deal with Bennett is, he's proven he can play past his mistakes and learn from them. He doesn't let the "previous play" effect the "next play".

IMO...his success will be dependent on how "quickly" he learns. I can't speak to that...but, considering the offense he mastered over the last few years, under one of the best OC's and QB coaches in the business...I'd say he's already got a pretty good start.

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

I'm having trouble figuring out if you're really Stetson's mom or his favorite aunt

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

They don't give any dates for these trade rummers so was the potential trade before or after the draft? If they were looking for a trade before the draft then who's to say the Rams would have drafted Benett, now if this was a recent trade feeler then hmm.

@CClayC88

I'm having trouble figuring out if you spit or swallow.

On a more serious note...the possible Stafford trade was about money. To the tune of a 99 million dollar bonus that was scheduled to kick in. Basically, the same reason Atlanta traded Matt Ryan.

That's over, now. Done deal. LA is gonna milk every last play out of Stafford, that they can get. They may get a season...they may get 3. Or, he may not make a whole season. In any case, I'd say the Rams are in good hands.

Stafford's going on his 15th season. That's about as much as you can ask for, in this day and time. Every year from here on out is a bonus for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philly vs LA....or Jax vs Pitt. O-Dawgs vs D-Dawgs.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't like the article as it seemed hyperbolic and removed from reality to me. Stafford has a legendary arm and I agree this was all about money. Has absolutely zero to do with Steton being better than advertised. Zero.

Not good journalism in my opinion but since we are discussin Stafford. Will the Rams dump Stafford if they have an excuse? Yes, because it is a business. A big business about money.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

SBIV has climbed the CFB mountain on some great CFB teams. But the climb is far from over. Being drafted. Check. Making the team comes next. Then becoming a starting QB. Then becoming a productive starting QB. Then becoming a very good/great starting QB?

Point is SBIV has not done enough to replace Stafford. He has not done anything yet except get drafted. SBIV's professional development and success will depend more on his individual physical and mental skills. How hard he works and how much his physical limitations hinder him. He will get a lot of playing time in the preseason against fellow rookies and developmental players.

This preseason playing time should introduce him to the next level and aid his adjustment. It will be a step by step process. He starts with some advantages that most CFB QB's don't start with. 1) 6 yrs of CFB experience and 2) having played in a NFL system under an NFL OC. It will be interesting to watch his development.

I like what I'm reading and hearing about Bennett from the reporters covering the Rams' OTA's and Mini-camp. They're all high on Bennett after watching him in the mini-camp and OTA's. Nothing about his height, or arm strength, or age, or drinking habits, or attitude....just football and where he stands with respect to Stafford. Refreshing!

Contrast that against the negative reports coming out about 1st rounder, Anthony Richardson...and, I'd say Bennett is in pretty good shape for a 4th round pick.

Frankly....I don't see how the defenses he will face in the NFL can possibly be that much better, than the defense he faced in practice every week for the last 3 years. It's hard to place a value on that "kind of experience". I think he's ready...mentally & physically. I could be wrong...but, I can't wait to find out.