Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Javon Bullard would rather let his play speak for itself than respond to Ohio State barbs

2»

Comments

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good context E_Roc about Klatt seemingly trying to goad Day into addressing an issue that, I’m going to give Day some credit here- he probably would like to move on from with a new season fast approaching. Day is an interesting dude- seems like a good coach overall (whining after the Peach Bowl loss notwithstanding) and is definitely an elite recruiter. In fact, he’s an elite recruiter to the extent that’s partly why he’s under so much pressure at Ohio State to break through and win a natty. This will be his fifth full season at Ohio State, and it took Kirby Smart until in his sixth year before finally breaking through and winning his first, and both coaches suffered heartbreaking losses in the CFP. Kirby has talked about the lessons he learned and adjustments he’s made as head coach… as someone who’s always kinda liked OSU (maybe it’s the colors), it will be interesting to see how they do this year and if Day makes the adjustments needed to get over the hump… or if OSU loses their patience and fires him. God knows he’s amassed enough talent to break through. Hopefully a Dawgs threepeat keeps them waiting a while longer, but if somehow we’re not playing for another natty this season and OSU is, just out of respect for the game they gave us in the Peach Bowl, I’ll probably be pulling for them. 

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

How was it an errant pass when it hit the WR right in the hands? Look at it again. It was off his back foot with 3 guys chasing him right into the hands of a WR who was standing at the edge of the end zone surrounded by defenders. Again, Harrison Jr was surrounded by defenders and Stroud got it right in his hands while running backwards and throwing off his back foot. It took perfect timing AND an incredible play by Bullard to knock the ball out - and the WR out in the process but hey it's a contact sport and if you don't want contact there's always chess - and save a sure TD that would have clinched the game. Go after Ryan Day all you want - especially since his terrible playcalling on the last drive prevented them from getting into better field goal range - but CJ Stroud showed why he was the #2 overall pick on that throw.

But UGA fans bashing opposing fanbases is a bit rich. I still remember all the grievances from 2007, when the 2nd place team in the SEC East with no wins against elite teams somehow deserved to play for a national title over two teams with better records "just because."

I also remember 2010 UGA fans frothing mad over Nick Fairley's laying similar hits. Yes, being on the receiving end is different.

I remember 2012 UGA fans blaming the referees - and not the OL or defense - for the SEC title game loss to Bama.

2017 UGA fans? Same. The refs were somehow responsible for UGA's having a true freshman QB with an average arm and absolutely no playmakers at WR, especially after Javon Wims - UGA's only WR over 6 feet tall - got hurt. Amazingly putting Jacob Eason's cannon arm in and letting him fling it downfield to Mecole Hardman's 4.33 40 was a lesser option than letting a clearly out of his depth Jake Fromm go 3 and out and occasionally turn the ball over for nearly the entire 2nd half plus overtime ... but nah blame the same zebras that chose not to call a personal foul (there are more PFs than just targeting folks) on Bullard and give Ohio State a 1st down on the 1 yard line with a mobile QB. Personally I agree with the no-call, but my issue is UGA fans who believe that every possible judgment call should go for their team and against the other team, as if it is Valdosta High School home games in the 1980s or something.

2018 UGA fans? See 2007. A 2 loss team - including a blowout one to LSU, making UGA the third best team in the SEC - whose sole victories against ranked teams came against 3 loss Kentucky and Florida teams "because reasons." Even the "we had a close loss to CLEARLY the best team in the country" idea fell apart with Alabama 16 Clemson 44 (and this was with Clemson taking a knee on 1st and goal).

Sorry but complaining about the best player on your team getting knocked out is completely different from claiming that your 2 loss team that had bad losses yet beat absolutely nobody is somehow actually one of the best teams in the country (and doing it twice: 2007 and 2018).

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ryan Day needs to focus more on his beard, and less on Georgia. 😛

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

What's your point? Just sayin'...that was a whole lot of talkin' about UGA...without really saying anything. Are you saying other fanbases "don't complain"? Lol...that's ludicrous.

Amazing...that people come to a "Dawg Fansite" and expect to see people cheering the Dawgs' rivals on. Especially when it's all BS.

And, Bless your heart...it appears you may be suffering from some sort of brain disorder. Your memory has almost completely failed you. I won't get into specifics...you won't remember, anyway. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Was Bullard another one of those 3 star kids? I think he was. The identification of elite talent that is way undervalued and then developing that is amazing at Georgia. It seems like Alabama takes far less lower rated guys than we do. Not sure if that is a product of not doing their own evaluations or trusting outside evaluations more than we do? Regardless, it is pretty remarkable some of the '3 Stars' we have gotten over the years.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watchingthe replay the other day, I saw a UGA lineman on that last drive by OS get tackled to the ground as he was pass rudhing with the OL's arms wrapped completely around him in a bear hug as theywere both lying on the ground and it wasn't called?

THey(OL) held virtually the whole game and the refs allowed it! ANd Day wants to talk about one questionable call? LOL!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To your point it was pretty atrocious. They did call 1 holding but could of called a bunch more. Kirby alluded to this very discreetly by saying, "I don't know what happens in the playoff but defenses don't seem to be able to stop these high powered offenses." I know I am paraphrasing but the powers that be want high scoring games for eyeballs. That is why only having a great defense is not enough. You have to be able to score to make the tv guys happy.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was a clean hit that every defensive back from junior football to the nfl would like to be able to deliver. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, you need to move on from the distant past brother. UGA is not chasing their 1st Natty since 1980 now OK? Times have changed, Factors have changed. Everything has changed. College football has changed. Do you know that UGA has a different HC now? A new EVERYTHING now? 2007? Really?! Might as well go back to 1981 and 82! Time to move into 2023 man. Its all different. Everything is different.

One last thing, it was a legal hit on Harrison, not illegal. OSU coach and fans whining about an AWESOME TIMELY PLAY, something totally legal and you want to come back and hit on UGA fans when they were chasing the dream and had legit beefs? UGA fans were not like OMG that hit was so perfect in every way, but it was at such a pivotal time in the game and it was just so hard that they should have called a penalty anyway? Up yours Sunshine

• Options
    edited July 2023

You know that's right! Hell...that's the ONLY thing that Day regrets. His guys don't hit as hard as the Dawgs. That's why the referees had to change the rules on holding...for one side, in the CFP. To even it up a little bit.

UGA "out-physical'd", a BIG10 Team...again! I could've sworn, I saw Day taking notes on the sideline.....

[Note to self]...learn to play defense with the ferocity of a Georgia Bulldog...the junkyard kind. [Sincerely...Ryan]

• Options
    edited July 2023

Lol...man! I think I've found my "Brother from Another Mother". You nailed it Brother.

BTW....Want to talk about history...Erk Russell stood up in his grave and let out a "Junkyard Growl" when he heard "The Hit", by Bullard. That is how...IT...is supposed to be done.

That's how we were ALL taught to do it. Don't try to crucify the guy now...just cause he's fighting for the other side. Even in war, soldiers respect the bravery of other soldiers...on the other side of the battlefield....when they see it. To me it's hypocritical to want that from your guys...THEN...call it cheating when it's the other team doing it..."better"!

How is that something ANY coach wants to teach his players? I don't know if Day's response was mis-characterized or mis-represented...but, what I've been hearing is unbecoming a HC of his stature. I put those comments, in the garbage heap of other "irrelevant sour grape responses", like Saban's after his loss last year.

OSU, Day and the rest of the Big10 may have forgotten how to play physical defense. That's okay..."Kirby's Heros" are putting on a clinic, right now...and, if they're payin' attention...they might learn a little somethin'.

I see kids in the future wearing "red capes" and T-shirts with a big black "G" on their chest...complimented by silver britches with spikes. They'll be wearing masks, because facial identity isn't important...it's "The Standard" that's important and it keeps "the press" off their backs. They'll be supported by their Super-Sidekick..."Uga The Bruiser". Lol...ahhh...the '70's. Best football and music of my generation. IMO...Lol.