Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee reportedly gave Darnell Washington money on recruiting visits, only to end up at Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,492 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageTennessee reportedly gave Darnell Washington money on recruiting visits, only to end up at Georgia

Tennessee wanted Darnell Washington bad enough that it gave him impermissible benefits on multiple occasions and was willing to break NCAA rules in order to try and land him as a member of the 2020 recruiting class.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was pre-NIL era so unfortunately that is how things were done.

Even though NIL is in a state of flux right now I still think it is better to bring this stuff out in the open.

The better options would be to make the players employees of the university have have them paid partly by the university and partly through the collective. The collective would be more flexible to award 'salary' by different criteria. Plus by being employees the university can monitor their behavior and institute penalties without having the coaches completely responsible for babysitting these kids.

I think that is where we are headed but it may take a few years for these collectives to get some standards on both pay and otherwise. Then when the universities step in to make them employees they will need to work out the 'combined' pay and benefit package for each player.

5-10 years away. Until then it will continue to be the wild west.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy to hear that Darnell was not swayed by Volunteer money...I happen to know that he just didn't dig ORANGE & Hound Dogs....lol......but this demonstrates something that I have observed about UGA recruiting. Kirby & Company are highly attuned to a potential recruits motivations with the unwavering desire to win, the absolute rejection of getting beat combined with the total commitment to work to improve being the mindset which they are seeking. The first mention of personal aggrandizement is a RED FLAG that will insure your playing time for a team other than The DAWGS....some slip ups have occurred, but thankfully the TP comes to the rescue....Bears need to be playing in The "Bear" state!

Personally, I'd like to see a percentage of all NIL money earned by an individual player go into a pool to be distributed equally to players without such contracts....after all, you may be great at your particular skill set but you didn't make those achievements alone, you were surrounded by a TEAM.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

The sad thing is Pruitt probably learned that garbage at Alabama. Alabama is the kings of paying cash to players and never nothing ever happens. Tuscaloserville are the Kings of Cheat. When other schools attempt to do the same thing (Auburn, Tennessee, etc.) they are nailed time and time again. It makes you wonder doesn't it? Ohio State is the same as well. Cheats like crazy and nothing ever happens.

That's how you know who the real blue bloods are. The ones who cheat and never get suspended. Pruitt was s t u p i d though to get personally involved in these transactions. Little Nicky should have taught him better. I knew something was really off with Pruitt when he showed up on CMRs lawn in a less than ideal state. Who does that at your bosses house? Good riddance to this guy.

Tennessee is still a marquise name though which is why they didn't get the bowl ban.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Guys...they all did that kind of thing, before NIL...even UGA. It's not really that big a deal. IMO

I remember several specific incidents, back in '77 and '78...where the contact or recruiter would hand one my teammates a $50 bill and send him to get some "gum"...then tell him to keep the change. Everybody did it...and nobody ratted. It was considered harmless and in some cases necessary. Just like the "steroid program".

My advice is, don't judge yesterday, by today's standards. Just let it go...especially seeing the chaos created by those, supposedly watching over the game for the past hundred years (NCAA).

The NCAA was as crooked as some of the institutions. There's "the schools and violations they investigated and pursued"...and then, there's "the ones they knew about and turned a blind eye to".

The NCAA turned out to be no more transparent, consistent and honest...than our own government. Equal treatment under the "Law"...Lol...yeah, right! Guess the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Lol

I just pray that our Government doesn't suffer the same fate as the NCAA. That's where We're headed.

• Options
    lgyounglgyoung Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

This story does not make UGA look good. Remember when the story came out that Miss St. offered Cam Newton 180k? The first thought everyone had was how much did Auburn have to pay to get him…

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice try lgyoung.

• Options
    iamaugafaniamaugafan Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hate the new website!!!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

UT can't even cheat well.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, if I was being recruited like these top players are, I would take most everything I could get, except from the school I was going to play for.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thats is because he was being shopped around. $1,700 is a FAR CRY from 200k ok? Not even close to apples and oranges bruh. More like apples and a house.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Welll???.... How much did Auburn pay to get Newton? Did anybody suffer any REAL consequences from it?

How 'bout from the Ole Miss, Nkemdiche and Treadwell buys. Other than Hugh Freeze...currently at Auburn, BTW.....What were the consequences, besides a couple of 11 win seasons for the Rebs and a couple of recruiting misses for the Dawgs (that may have helped win a title). What?...they missed a Bowl Game they probably wouldn't have been eligible for, without cheating?. Lol

USC and Reggie Bush had to relinquish some awards for their little trip down "Cheating Lane" and Pete Carroll moved on to a more illustrious career with Seattle in the NFL. So what? Nobody cares or even asks them about it in public, anymore. USC is still referenced as one of the "best teams of the early 2000's". They've made their mark...so, all's forgiven.

SMU...on the other hand...didn't win enough games to justify, letting em slide..so, they were given "The NCAA Death Penalty" and told, not to come back, till they were serious about playing DIV1 Football.

It's all horse manure that's been force fed to the public, to give the illusion of "consistency, control and fairness". If you watch how some referees call high profile games...Nothing could be further from reality.

Money STILL drives the train...for most Programs, Individual Players...and CFB in general. IMO

Except for UGA...Now...under Kirby Smart. No real need to cheat, when your ultimate goal is "Sustained Superior Performance"...which has been Smart's goal, since he became a HC.. Cheating doesn't help with that. "True excellence", requires focus and work.

Cheating will only benefit a "bogged down" Program, like FLA or A&M. They could take a shot with cheating...which I think A&M has already done. But, there are no guarantees...and if you get caught without wins on the board....you wind up in SMU or Tennessee's position. I think Texas A&M and Jimbo will soon join em in the corner, with "CHEATER" hats on.

You watch...if Texas A&M lays another rotten egg this year...evidence will suddenly emerge, allowing A&M to fire Jimbo Fisher for "Cause". He will be required to forfeit all future pay and compensation, allowing A&M to get out from under that ridiculous contract, unscathed. Or....he could WIN...and, all will be forgiven.

If he loses, however...and A&M's Alumni/Boosters set him up for firing with evidence on-hand....look for Jimbo to try to bring down the house around him. Including Nick Saban and Alabama.

Lol...God you gotta love College Football. It has everything...Sports, Violence, Sex, Intrigue...it's like a dang Soap Opera with a Football Plot. Lol...that's why so many girls are into the game, nowadays.

• Options
    lgyounglgyoung Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

You guys missed the whole point in my comment. Has anyone paid attention to the fact that the AJC is doing everything in their power to bring UGA football down and the fact that now ESPN is all over it too? Is UGA immune to the kind of scrutiny that just got out on Northwestern and brought Fitzgerald down? I would like to think that wouldn’t happen here but I don’t want our media to walk around crowing about how bad other programs look while their is an even bigger target on Kirby and UGA’s back right now. This type of behavior is inviting the type of scrutiny Kirby and the UGAAA don’t want or need, especially right now. As fans we can think and say things like that. But when Connor writes an article that appears to be poking fun of Tennessee, I don’t think that represents Dawgnation the site or the fan base well.

• Options
    edited July 2023

You guys missed the whole point in my comment. Has anyone paid attention to the fact that the AJC is doing everything in their power to bring UGA football down and the fact that now ESPN is all over it too? _____If young

Please excuse the long post. I was inspired. Lol

First, let me say...I don't think Conner, or anybody else at Dawg Nation, is trying to "poke the bear" or "give the Dawg a bone'r". Lol

IMO....They are reporting on stories that have already been exposed by Nation Media...and, a couple of Saban "moles" working in the AJC's Sports Department.

The story on "speeding" is Fake News and that will prove to be the case, in due time. Kinda like the Russian Collusion reporting from CNN and MSNBC over a 3 year period.

And, yes...I believe they are trying to spin it as hard as they can...against UGA and Smart. Why? Pressure and retribution....Because Kirby Smart had the audacity not to give them an interview after the full story regarding Willock, McClendon, Carter and Dumas-Johnson started coming into focus.

They (AJC) were forced to "actually work", investigate and do their job to report the facts...which they seem to be failing to do in a big way, because they're "out of practice". But...the kicker is...they were left to speculate how Smart and UGA were approaching the issue. AND..."Speculate", they did.

Lol....they did what "Fake News" does best. They created a story where there was none. They filled in the blank spots with garbage about "culture" and whatnot..

I don't remember any such claims, last year, when Eli Ricks...an LSU to Bama Transfer...was caught speeding with pot in the vehicle, in Mississippi. Nobody mentioned it, the entire season. Hmmm...cover for the "former Champ"...attack the "current Champ". Could be a coordinated effort coming out of Tuscaloosa.

They omitted data that could exonerate, excuse or explain the level of the Dawgs and Smart's culpability (if any exists)...over SPEEDING. Not, racing...speeding.

There were ONLY 2 instances of racing, shortly after the NC Game. Not planned racing.....just a friendly spontaneous challenge between Brothers & Sisters on the way home. IT HAPPENS!

What THEY did...only becomes criminal (in certain corners of the media), unfortunately, when someone dies...and THAT'S what happened. My God...if I had $100 for everytime my friends and I raced from school to the house and vice versa...I could buy a Charger. Lol

And yes, guys....please save your comments on speeding. I know it's a crime...but, so is crossing the street without using a crosswalk...or burning down a Police Presinct.

Amazing that National News Media can find a way to explain and excuse THAT (rioting)....but, get completely turned around over a "possible issue of speeding & racing" at a single University...involving ONLY their Championship Football Team. Bull...ogna!

Agenda??? Yep...somebody has one. I'm just not sure yet, if it's institutional (AJC)...OR...individual (AJC Reporter gettin' paid). Guess time will tell...but, I don't like what I'm seeing or how it feels. If there IS an "agenda", the AJC Sports Editor has to be "in on it".

It feels like an attack, considering the fact they refuse to report how other Universities are handling these issues. Or, IF other Universities are dealing with the "reported speeding issues".

IMO...it's asinine to insist those figures are irrelevant to UGA's "apparent" issue. That would be like saying the " high murder rate in Chicago, has nothing to do with the high murder rate in NY, ATL, LA or SF". We're all "connected" and so are our successes and failures. Nobody lives in a bubble, unless they PUT themselves there, by limiting their own exposure to "truth".